Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (http://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   Latest Sports Central Headlines (http://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   What is this about? (http://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=14488)

Marc 08-17-2006 06:38 PM

What is this about?

The Sports Central News board works with RSS to crawl new stories and automatically post them as threads. Initially, it will check the SC story feed and post when new stories are added. This is an easy way to read articles on the site and stay up-to-date, as well as discuss them.

If you want to subscribe to the SC feed in My Yahoo!, Google, or any other news client, the feed is: http://feeds.feedburner.com/SportsCentral

If you have any requests to add other feeds, let me know.

HibachiDG 08-17-2006 07:48 PM

Good stuff, but maybe a different name for the forum?

Marc 08-17-2006 07:50 PM

I'm open to ideas...

doublee 08-17-2006 08:23 PM

Hmm, maybe Sports Central Feature Articles?

catman 08-17-2006 08:45 PM

I'll second that name.

Brad O. 08-18-2006 03:05 PM

I think this is a great idea, Marc.

Is there any way to have comments posted to the articles appear in these links on the boards? I don't think the reverse would be a good idea, since our discussions here are frequently personal and involve inside jokes and such that might confuse visitors to the main site, but it might be interesting to have the comments available here without having to navigate to the main site. The comments seem to generate further discussion somewhat frequently.

Also, I wonder if it would be worth posting the old newsletters or other (older than last week) articles here, as well. Not sure if that's something you're interested in, or even if it's feasible, but thought I'd throw it out there.

I like the forum name, actually. It draws people to this board, and in a new feature like this, that's what you want. We get some pretty thoughtful articles on the site sometimes, and there's no reason they shouldn't generate a boatload of commentary and discussion here, as well.

Marc 08-18-2006 03:10 PM

Unfortunately, Movable Type (powering the main site) and vBulletin are separate systems and can't communicate. So you can't really cross-post comments between the systems. There might be a way to have NFL stories, for example, be posted on the NFL board.

All the newsletters were actually posted here. You can probably find them in a search. But the goal of this is to keep track of current stories, not dig into the archives. And RSS feed isn't an archive of stories, it's intended to inform readers on updates to the current site.

Anyway, I'll experiment with new names and keep tweaking.

buckeyefan78 08-18-2006 09:53 PM

I think this involves reading. I'm outta here.

Ellis 08-18-2006 10:49 PM

It's official, with this forum intact there is no way anyone will ever pass Marc's post count :D

buckeyefan78 08-19-2006 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellis (Post 212280)
It's official, with this forum intact there is no way anyone will ever pass Marc's post count :D

(Climbs the tallest building he can find and does a swan dive off of it)...

"I have no reason to live!"

Dano 06-17-2007 10:56 AM

I have a question Marc, Have you ever gave a thought of being able to do the Embedding jazz for this site? There are times that it would be nice to share some You Tube or other video's on these boards.

Sports Guru 07-13-2010 06:55 AM

That’s really enchanting, Marc. This is one of the best means to stay updated with the help of daily sports stories and sports articles.

leenco12 09-12-2010 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 (Post 212269)
I think this involves reading. I'm outta here.

It's official, with this forum intact there is no way anyone will ever pass Marc's post count

aden045 12-26-2012 06:21 AM

I don't think the reverse would be a good idea, since our discussions here are frequently personal and involve inside jokes and such that might confuse visitors to the main site, but it might be interesting to have the comments available here without having to navigate to the main site. The comments seem to generate further discussion somewhat frequently.

Also, I wonder if it would be worth posting the old newsletters or other (older than last week) articles here, as well. Not sure if that's something you're interested in, or even if it's feasible, but thought I'd throw it out there......

GoNotreDameACC 02-25-2014 07:02 PM

I'm new, what's up?