Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (http://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   National Football League (http://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Super Bowl XLVII: Ravens vs. 49ers (http://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=25797)

Anthony 01-30-2013 04:43 AM

Super Bowl XLVII: Ravens vs. 49ers

And what better way to start the discussion off than with my official pick on the game!

Last week: 1-1. Postseason totals: 5-4-1, Pct. .550. Best Bets: 1-2, Pct. .333.

Point spread (opening line) in parentheses after underdog team; selection with point spread in bold.

One thing - well two, actually - will definitely happen at Super Bowl XLVII.

A head coach named Harbaugh will be hoisting the Lombardi Trophy when it is all said and done - as if you didn't know.

But the other one you probably didn't know about: The winning quarterback will be of Italian heritage. That's because Colin Kaepernick is adopted, and the surname of his birth mother is Russo.

So barring a catastrophic injury in practice to either Kaepernick or Joe Flacco between now and Sunday, one of them will join Joe Montana as the second Italian-American quarterback to win a Super Bowl. The other will become the fourth to lose one, after Daryle Lamonica, Vince Ferragamo and Dan Marino.

But enough on how the same thing is going to happen either way. Now for the differences.

Let's start with the fact the 49ers played a regular-season game at the Super Bowl-hosting site this year, while the Ravens didn't. Not counting the two years in which both teams did so, six of the eight teams since 1989 that have had this angle in their favor have won the Super Bowl.

(Two of the winners, however, neglected to cover the spread: The Cowboys in Super Bowl XXX, and the Rams four years later).

Another historical trend pointing in San Francisco's direction centers around the fact that the NFC won the interconference season series by 14 games, 39 victories to 25 (the NFC's second largest victory margin of all time - having won it 27-12-1 in 1970, the first post-merger year). Six times since 1979 has one conference won the interconference series by more than 10 games, and the team from the superior conference has gone 5-1, both ways.

(In 1999 the AFC won 38 interconference games to the NFC's 22, and while the Titans lost Super Bowl XXXIV to the Rams, they did cover. Five years later the situation was the reverse: The AFC won it 44-20, and while the Patriots defeated the Eagles in Super Bowl XXXIX, New England didn't cover).

Ah, but the Ravens have the "surface advantage," in that they play their home games on artificial turf while the 49ers play theirs on natural grass, and Sunday's game is on artificial turf.

The only problem is that this "advantage" does not exist. Far from it in fact: Dating back to 1979, the 11 teams that have had the "surface advantage" in the Super Bowl are 3-8 straight up and 1-10 against the spread!

Next on the list is the "When You're Hot, You're Hot" Theory - which can apply just as easily to a city (or media market) as to an individual, or team.

Not only have the San Francisco Giants already won the World Series, but the NBA's Golden State Warriors are almost certainly headed for only their second playoff appearance in the last 19 years (!). And as of this writing, the San Jose Sharks are one of just two remaining unbeaten teams in the NHL.

(True, Baltimore has only two chances to be hot, as the city lacks an NBA or an NHL franchise - but theories of this sort don't have to be fair).

Finally, haven't the 49ers "retired" one future Hall Of Fame player with a loss in this postseason (Tony Gonzalez), and now have the opportunity to inflict the same fate on another one (Ray Lewis)?

There is the chance, one would suppose, that the 49ers could win the game but not cover the spread. Another possibility is that who covered depends on when one actually got in on the game. That has already happened twice in this postseason (don't remind me).

But the latter would require either a four-point San Francisco win, meaning Baltimore covers, or a five-point 49er victory, which would make it a push against the consensus opening line (which has since moved to 3 1/2 just about everywhere).

However, that will not occur because the final score for Super Bowl XLVII will be:

San Francisco 28, Baltimore 21 (+5)

bama4256 01-30-2013 06:39 AM

Baltimore by eight.

Marc 01-30-2013 08:06 PM

SF wins.

DETMURDS 01-31-2013 12:31 AM

Got to side with Marc,..SF wins. Really, I don't know which team it is that I want to win,..just got this feeling that SF wins.

Happy that I will be able to see it since I work on Sundays,..so I hope that I can say that I enjoyed it once it is all said and done.

Great write up Anthony!

Jack Knoff 02-04-2013 05:40 AM

bwaaa...

Baltimore wins outright.

I called it.

The seasoned QB comes through.

mariasam 08-29-2013 08:05 AM

The Redskins are really in trouble though: Not only are they going up slightly in strength of schedule while the Cowboys and Giants are taking significant drops, but they will be without RG3 for some if not all of the 2013 season. thumbsup2: