View Single Post
Old 06-09-2004, 01:28 AM   #11
Enoch
Rookie Player

Enoch is on a distinguished road

Ok, the point has been made about Jordanís defensive player awards. But you have to look at Kobe's defensive achievements; he was named to the All-NBA Defensive first team I think like twice. Now when you look at who won the defensive player that year you should know why, the Defensive player of the year the years Kobe was runner up was Ben Wallace. Ben Wallace is a monster on the defensive end; so it's not surprising that he came in second to Wallace for the DP Award.

When Jordan played he was playing in a different time. He was the one who set the standard. At the time Jordan was doing what he was doing it was all new and never seen stuff. I mean, wow, he switched hands in the air and layed it up and it looked like a dunk. That was amazing for his time and would still be a great move now, but I have seen Kobe, Carter and McGrady do things of a similar nature. When you compare Kobe and Jordan you have to place Jordan in Kobe's era and not Vice Versa. The defense now is waaaaaaay better than it was in the early and mid 90's. You have teams like the Pistons, Pacers, Spurs, etc. who are some of the best defensive teams ever.

Kobe is also a pretty good post-up player. He is very strong and a great ball handler. The combination of the two attributes allows him to abuse smaller and weaker players while at the same time take the bigger slower centers and forwards. In fact, he is one of the best inside scorers in the league. While he may not be as dominant as Shaq on the inside he is still able to score down low.

Ok Tarkus, check this out. You saw the Lakers-Pistons game 2 tonight right? Kobe dunked on three Pistons. I mean BOOM! on there heads. Not to mention Kobe at only seventeen was named the best dunker in the league. He obviously got better with time and is still improving, what makes you think he won't go better in the air. I think the paradox of the Air Jordan aerial supremacy came from his dunk contest wins. He came with the craziest **** right? But I have seen Kobe do some insane dunks. What about the addidas commercial where he went behind his back and below the rim? Have you seen that? I have it on my computer, it is insanity and it looks impossible. I also have highlight reels of Jordan and Kobe dunk-ons. Yeah, Jordan got Motumbo, but so did Carter, Kobe, and just about everyone else. Jordan got allot of other people too, don't get me wrong, I'm just naming the most memorable one. You can't really name one as being better than the other in the air.

Tarkus, Jordan was a great defensive player, your right. But he couldn't even guard Magic or Isaiah in the finals, they had to move him and put Pippin in his place. I've also seen Jordan get shook by Iverson in Iverson's rookie year. Broke his ankles to the fullest extent and the drained the shot in his grill. If that is pressure then what is bad defense? Oh, and Tarkus, Jordan could never penetrate the Jordan Rules, he always broke down and turned it over. Jordan was the most dominant player on the Bulls, so naturally they targeted him. However, Shaq is the most dominant player in the league (That doesn't make him better, just stronger). "Jordan Rules" are similar to the "Hack-a-Shaq" defense. Don't let the most dominant player get the ball, it's that simple.

I also think that if anyone designed a defense for Kobe it would have to cover the whole court; The Jordan Rules was designed to stop his penetration and mid-range game. His three was not the best I've ever seen. They could Zone Kobe, but then he'd hit from three. Then they could play a man and let him penetrate. Or they could double and triple and let him penetrate or kick it to Fish, Payton, Rush, George or Walton who would be wide open on the perimeter. He is too all around to try and design an effective defense. Not to mention Kobe has better players on his team so you have to focus on them too. You can't ignore the other talent on the Laker such as Shaq and design a defense solely for Kobe, you would get slaughtered. It is impossible to design one for Kobe while he is on the Lakers.

Now when you look at the two teams Tarkus you see that the defense of "Jordan was alone" is not true. Look at it this way, Pippin the one year he left was MVP, he lead the Bulls in scoring, steals, blocks and rebounds. He also started in the All-Star game starting line up and he lead the Bulls to a title, this was without Jordan. Pippin is also one of the Fifty Greatest Players of All time. So if that is alone just in the fact the he had Pippin then that is great, but that is most definitely not alone in any way. Jordan also had Rodman who averaged like 20 rebounds per game one season, only The Stilt did that. He had Steve Kerr, Tony Kucoch, Bill Paxson, Horace Grant, Hodges (I forget his first name I think it is Curt or Todd or something like that. But in any case he was like Peja or Ray Allen in the three point contest he set the record for straight threes in the contest. He also won it 3 or 4 years in a row), Bill Cartwright, and Phil Jackson as a coach. That is not alone, than is some good company right there. In reality the Lakers had a better team in that they had Shaq, Kobe, Horry, Fisher, Fox, Madsen (Now on the T'Wolves) etc. Just Shaq, Kobe Horry and fisher is enough to score like 80 points per game.

Kobe is better.
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote