Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 06-18-2008, 10:32 PM   #61
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

SC
Talking Head Awards

Honorable Mention
Even tho he picked the Lakers in 5, realized the error in his ways after 2 games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
Yeah, I think we're gonna go 6 now with Boston hoisting the trophy if for no other reason than we need to hear more commentary about how these guys would run circles around the old Lakers and Celtics.
Runner ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha View Post
Celtics in 7 (Pierce MVP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dublin Mike View Post
I have to agree w/Steve. I think it's KG's time, finally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post

If the Celts come to play: Celts in 5

If they have their brain dead games - in 7
2nd Place
cuz he came in after the series started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Irish View Post
Anyway Celtics in 6. Pierce MVP, and Boston's D is gonna shut down Kobe. Like they did in Game 1.
SC Master Talking Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayhezy View Post
Celtics in six.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:51 AM   #62
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I said several months back when Bynum got hurt that the Lakers would not win a title without him. They needed him to be the tough post presence that Gasol does not bring to the table.

The funny thing to me is how much the media is hyping the Lakers as a dynasty of the future because of Bynum. But the thing of it is this kid has had two pretty major knee operations in the past year and we don't know how he is going to come back. How much is this going to set back his development and will he ever regain the explosiveness that had him looking like the league's most improved player this season prior to getting hurt? Is he going to continue looking like the next Shaq or is he just going to turn into another Felton Spencer or Micheal Olowakandi because his bum knee limits his mobility and explosiveness?

It can get pretty dicey when a guy pushing 270/280 starts suffering knee injuries. Fortunately for Portland Greg Oden is only in the 250 range so he is not carrying as much weight as Bynum is.

Portland could be another team to add to the list to keep an eye on for next season depending on how Oden fares. Recent reports have him ahead of schedule and looking as he ever has prior to the surgery. The latest report I saw said that barring any setbacks he feels confident Oden will be ready to play in exhibition games next fall. If Oden turns out to be the real deal and Portland figures out who their PG is going to be they could be a force to reckoned with next year as well.

I would put Phoenix in the list of teams to keep an eye on simply because Terry Porter did not exactly set the league on fire when he coached the Bucks and it remains to be seen how Shaq is going to fit into the equation. We all know if he doesn't like playing for someone he tends to shut it down.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:54 PM   #63
trayhezy
All-Star Player

trayhezy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post

The funny thing to me is how much the media is hyping the Lakers as a dynasty of the future because of Bynum. But the thing of it is this kid has had two pretty major knee operations in the past year and we don't know how he is going to come back. How much is this going to set back his development and will he ever regain the explosiveness that had him looking like the league's most improved player this season prior to getting hurt? Is he going to continue looking like the next Shaq or is he just going to turn into another Felton Spencer or Micheal Olowakandi because his bum knee limits his mobility and explosiveness?

It can get pretty dicey when a guy pushing 270/280 starts suffering knee injuries.

You bring up a very interesting point because a guy of that size having knee problems can raise a red flag. Of course he is only 22?

However I am curious to hear what the Laker fans think about the team going forward. I am of the opinion that they really can not play with a front line of Odom, Gasol and Bynum. I think it makes them less atheltic and less able to spread the floor thus clogging the lanes for Kobe. If you put Odom or Pau on the bench then you are paying a kings ransom for a sixth man. I feel that they should trade one of the two for a true small forward.
until I'm Tiger dead
trayhezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:48 PM   #64
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Pau soft?

Get real guys.

buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:25 PM   #65
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayhezy View Post
You bring up a very interesting point because a guy of that size having knee problems can raise a red flag. Of course he is only 22?
Actually, he is only 20 years old. But there were questions about his dedication to getting in shape and his maturity when he was drafted. We have all seen what has happened to Shaq over the past few years when his body started breaking down on him he has deteriorated to the point where he cannot get himself in shape to be able to play 32-35 minutes a game before his knees/feet/ankles/hips start giving problems to where he has to shut it down again. The big difference between the two is that Shaq came into the league in much better shape and more of a drive to compete and win than Bynum did. For the Lakers' sake hopefully he has matured enough to overcome this and realize he needs to drop 20 pounds to alleviate any undo stress on his lower body.

Quote:
However I am curious to hear what the Laker fans think about the team going forward. I am of the opinion that they really can not play with a front line of Odom, Gasol and Bynum. I think it makes them less atheltic and less able to spread the floor thus clogging the lanes for Kobe. If you put Odom or Pau on the bench then you are paying a kings ransom for a sixth man. I feel that they should trade one of the two for a true small forward.
Agreed. There is probably a decent market for either guy. Odom is in the last year of his contract which makes him tradeable. Gasol is great for a team who already has someone else who is willing to do the dirty work on the defensive end in the post. If it were me I might hold on to Gasol and move Odom as Gasol is the better of the two scoring in the post and he helps take some of the pressure off of Bynum when he gets back into gear.

I was going to suggest that they possibly use Odom and their #1 to try and move up and possibly grab a guy like Donte Green, Joe Alexander or the Italian kid but I forgot that Memphis got that pick in the Gasol deal.

No matter what they do they have to try and add some toughness and some kind of a defensive presence to that team or it is going to be the same story for them next year where they will get bounced out of the playoffs by the first team they come across that plays defense. The only reason they got past the Spurs was because the Spurs were running on fumes in that series and just had nothing left to give.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote