Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-07-2009, 01:29 PM   #1
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough
Default '09 Early Entry Thread

It is being reported that Knoshown Moreno and Matt Stafford are expected to declare for the draft.

Moreno will either be the first or second back taken in the draft and is a likely first round pick.

Stafford is expected to go top 10 and could be the top QB and top pick depending on what some other guys do. I wouldn't touch the guy if it were me. Physically he is ready but I don't think he has a strong enough grasp on the mental aspects of the game to succeed. He disappears at times in big games and still makes bad reads and decisions.

Florida State's Everrette Brown is expected to declare later today. Brown had 13.5 sacks and 21.5 tackles for a loss and figures to be one of the first pass rushers off the board.

UNCs' Hakeem Nicks has already put his name in the draft. I doubt he will be a first round pick but has a good chance at being a first day pick. He has good size and will catch just about anything he gets his hands on. It all depends on how well he runs at the draft camps. He is not known to have great speed.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:53 AM   #2
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Stafford must be nuts - and if Mel Kiper is right and Moreno gets drafted by the Eagles, I think I'll immolate myself.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Is Stafford nuts or are the NFL talent evaluators nuts? If Bradford stays in school Stafford has a very realistic going #1 and if Bradford comes out he still has a strong shot at going top 3 to either Detroit or KC. Going top 3 is a guaranteed $25 to $40 million signing bonus one cannot blame him for not wanting to pass that up.

I would not mind seeing Knowshon in an Eagles uniform at all. It would give the Eagles the ability to line Westbrook out in the slot even more than they do now while still having the option to run the ball from those formations.

Maryland WR Darrius Heyward-Bey has put his name in the draft. He has the size and speed NFL teams love but his production never quite lived up to they hype. Should be a first day pick and could sneak into the first round if he works out well.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:42 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Wisconsin's P. J. Hill is expected to declare for the draft:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...e=NFLHeadlines
Old 01-08-2009, 06:37 PM   #5
Mike is a GOD
Banned

Mike is a GOD is on a distinguished road

Mike can tell you that Chris "Beanie" Wells has declared. Mike will provide a link.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...E3T5wD95J6DE01 <---- There is Mikes link
Mike is a GOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:12 AM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Is Stafford nuts or are the NFL talent evaluators nuts? If Bradford stays in school Stafford has a very realistic going #1 and if Bradford comes out he still has a strong shot at going top 3 to either Detroit or KC. Going top 3 is a guaranteed $25 to $40 million signing bonus one cannot blame him for not wanting to pass that up.

If Peyton Manning wanted to evade being drafted by the Jets in 1997 so badly that he stayed in college, and Matt Leinart wanted to evade being drafted by the 49ers in 2005 so badly that he stayed in college ...

Does Matthew Stafford want to run the risk of becoming the 21st Century's answer to Archie Manning - or worse still, Steve DeBerg?

Quote:
I would not mind seeing Knowshon in an Eagles uniform at all. It would give the Eagles the ability to line Westbrook out in the slot even more than they do now while still having the option to run the ball from those formations.

Are you familiar with the phrase "carrying coals to Newcastle?" Well bringing Moreno to the Eagles would be a par excellence example of that. The Eagles need to look for a RB in the 6-3, 240-pound range. Drafting Moreno would make no more sense than drafting Ryan Moats did - and we all saw how that turned out.

If the Eagles had such a RB this year, they would be hosting a playoff game this weekend instead of playing one on the road.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #7
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

But there is no point in spending a top pick on a guy like that if all you are going to use him for is short yardage running. You can get someone of that ilk later in the draft.

One of the reasons I think a guy like Moreno or a LeSean McCoy would be a good pickup for the Eagles is Westbrook always seems to be nursing injuries of some kind and when he is out the offense tends to stall and I like Buckhalter but he gets hurt even more than Westbrook does and cannot carry the workload. He is only good for 10-15 carries a game at best.

Personally, given the potential overall depth of the position in this draft, I'd like to see them grab an OT with one of their #1s. Runyan and Thomas have clearly seen better days. I also would not mind seeing them look at grabbing someone like Laurinaitis, Brian Cushing, or Taylor Mays if he comes out. They are still lacking a play maker at LB and while Dawkins is playing some incredible ball the past few weeks he is starting to decline just a bit and Mays looks like he is going to be a beast.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:10 PM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Mizzou's Jeremy Maclin is going pro. If Micheal Crabtree stays in school Maclin could be the top WR taken in the draft. As it stands he should do no worse than going in the mid to late first round.

I am going to be curious to see where Beanie Wells goes. I think he is a talented player but I cannot help but wonder if he is a bit soft.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:50 PM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Micheal Crabtree is expected to declare this afternoon. This one is a no-brainer he will be the top wideout taken and I doubt he lasts past Seattle at #4.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:22 AM   #10
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
But there is no point in spending a top pick on a guy like that if all you are going to use him for is short yardage running. You can get someone of that ilk later in the draft.

But Andy Reid is so inflexible in his obsessive hatred of power runners that he won't even invest a seventh-rounder on such a back.

Besides Tony Hunt, how many other RBs who were 6'1" or bigger have been drafted by the Eagles in any round since Reid arrived on the scene in 1999?

Plus it wouldn't be strictly for short yardage. What about when the Eagles face a 3-4 defensive team? Doesn't Westbrook have a lifetime average of like 24 yards (rushing) per game vs. the 3-4 - which is actually about average for a RB his size against that scheme?

And not for nothing, but when Fat Boy finally does let go of his morbid, fixed ideas, don't good things tend to happen (e.g., DeSean Jackson)?

Last edited by Anthony; 01-10-2009 at 10:20 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:48 PM   #11
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Again, some of it goes back to what I have said previously, and that is the Eagles need to fix some things with their line before they get a guy like that. If you watched the last Giants game and the Vikings game you know what I am talking about. The last two games Westbrook was getting hit before he even got the line an alarming number of times and until they fix that issue it won't matter who is running the ball for them.

The only "big" back that is even mentioned as a top pick is Beanie Wells and I am not convinced he has the mental toughness to survive in the NFL.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:27 AM   #12
Anthony

What about Rashad Jennings, originally from Pitt, then transferred to Liberty?

And if the Liberty thing bothers you, where did Brandon Jacobs - now the undisputed standard against which all other power-runners in the NFL are measured - play his college ball?
Old 01-15-2009, 10:17 AM   #13
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Rashad Jennings is fine but they would be wasting a first round pick on him. As near as I can tell he is rated as a 4th/5th round, at best 3rd round, pick so that would not preclude them from picking up a Knowshon Moreno and Rashad Jennings because Jennings will be there later in the draft.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:21 AM   #14
Anthony

Once again: Who said anything about a first-round pick?

And if Jennings impresses at the combine, him being a late second-round selection cannot be ruled out - and please, don't hand me this "reaching" business.

But I say NO to Moreno in any round. He fills no need on this team.