Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Soccer

Old 11-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #1
Angus Saul
Angus Saul

Angus Saul is on a distinguished road
Default A great loss.

I apologise in advance to any Americans who might read this, as they probably will be unaware of much English League Football.

Yesterday, Gary Speed died, having taken his own life. He played nearly 600 matches in the English Premier League, and scored goals for every club he played for. He was exceptionally talented, and captained Newcastle United in the days where they challenged for the title. He captained the Wales National Team, and has more caps for Wales than any other outfield player. He managed Sheffield Wednesday for a short period, and up until his death, he managed the Wales National Team. He had a very good record with them and they were improving dramatically under his supervision and guidance.

He recieved an MBE for services to football in 2010 and was presented this by Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh at the Queen's Birthday Celebrations.

He was a great man, who brought joy to all who knew him. He was kind hearted, quick to laugh, and was polite and courteous, moreover, he was friendly to everyone he met.

He left behind his wife, and two young children. He was 42 years old.

The footballing world are in shock, and in mourning over his death. He had appeared on television and had spoken to many friends the day before. He gave no indication of any problems whatsoever. This news came as a shock to everyone. His family have asked for privacy at this difficult time. Our thoughts and prayers are with them.

From a personal perspective, I was fortunate enough to see Speed play, when he captained Newcastle United, my hometown club. He was truly an exceptional player, and he was always the first player I could name from the team, even before Alan Shearer, another Newcastle legend.

I hope if any of you have any memories of Gary Speed, you will post them here as a tribute to a great man who gave so much during his short life.

Last edited by Angus Saul; 11-28-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Angus Saul is offline   Reply With Quote