Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 09-25-2010, 02:51 AM   #1
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Default Bud Selig Eyeing Expanded Playoffs

Mariners | Selig considering playoff expansion | Seattle Times Newspaper

What does he have in mind? Two wild cards in each league and the postseason opening with a best-of-three series between them?

But while they're at it, why not balance both leagues out at 15 teams each? The novelty of inter-league play has long since worn off; there is no longer any need to cluster all the interleague games at certain points of the year - and as I have pointed out numerous times already: What would be so terribly wrong with, say, a season-ending Yankees-Mets series with playoff implications on the line for either or both?
Old 09-25-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Bad idea.

The MLB season is long enough as it is, and the postseason already goes into November. One of the best parts of the MLB playoffs is only the best teams get to compete, I like the exclusivity.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:02 PM   #3
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

I'm torn here. If there were 2 more teams added to the playoffs, it would give the fans of several cities reason to continue coming out to ballgames and players on their teams reason to play hard.
On the other hand, the playoffs take a long time to run through, and to shorten the series to 3 or 5 game series would be to put a lot of pressure on some the players to perform at their best and compound any errors made that might cost their teams a game.
Overall, I think there are enough teams in the playoffs. Adding teams would be a bad idea.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:57 AM   #4
Anthony

The only circumstance under which I would support this is if, concomitantly:

1. The two leagues are balanced out at 15 teams each, with one current NL team moving to the AL (if for no other reason than having five out of only 14 AL teams make the playoffs while five out of 16 NL teams did would be unfair, since in many if not most years an NL team would miss the playoffs despite having a better record than an AL team that made it); and

2. The regular season is rolled back to 154 games (one, as a sop to the "purists" and two, so the World Series can be over before Thanksgiving!), with division rivals having 18 meetings and non-division opponents within the same league having six. That's 132 games - the remaining 22 consisting of inter-league games (entire divisions being paired off on a rotating basis each year, one three-game series each, accounting for 15 of each team's interleague games, the last seven being annual Mets-Yankees, Cubs-White Sox, Dodgers-Angels type matchups).

And while they're at it, they can get rid of this All-Star Game nonsense and give the team with the better regular-season record home-field advantage in the World Series, with the stipulation that in no case can a wild card ever enjoy said advantage over a division champion (or, if they want to get really cute, use the All-Star Game result as the tie-breaker in the event that the two pennant winners finished with the same record and either both won their respective divisions, or neither did).
Old 10-10-2010, 11:15 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I do not know it happens simply because I don't know that they will have any takers to televise the games. The ratings for post season baseball continue to decline each year and unless the Yankees or Red Sox are playing the ratings are almost non-existent.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:03 AM   #6
Anthony

But when I look at the way the Rays and the Yankees "battled" for the AL East title down the stretch, I wonder whether it would have been different if they had been fighting to avoid playing the Red Sox in a tricky three-game mini-series - which any additional postseason series is likely to be - for the right to join the three American League division winners in the ALDS.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:19 PM   #7
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

NAR(cotics) is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
I do not know it happens simply because I don't know that they will have any takers to televise the games. The ratings for post season baseball continue to decline each year and unless the Yankees or Red Sox are playing the ratings are almost non-existent.
So lets make a system were the Yanks Red sox and Rays all get in.

Good Job GUIZ!! :thumbsup2:

/endsarcasm/

My only championship this year....college soccer. :thumbdown:
NAR(cotics) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:57 PM   #8
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!

DETMURDS has a little shameless behavior in the past

I would be ok with it, but make it a best of 5 series for all games except for the World Series.
DETMURDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:31 AM   #9
Anthony

They will never roll back the League Championship Series to best-of-five. Not a chance.

Not only that, but they're even seriously considering lengthening the Division Series to best-of-seven, concomitant with adding another round of playoffs before it.

But if they do either or both of the above, the regular season has to be shortened - probably back to the "traditional" 154 games, as in my earlier post.

Another thing I'd like to see implemented is flexible scheduling in the postseason: If both Division Series in the same league do not go the full number of games - especially if that "full number" does become seven - why have teams sit around for the better part of a week? Start the LCS with no more than one day off for each of the teams involved.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:26 AM   #10
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!

DETMURDS has a little shameless behavior in the past

As a kid, I loved watching playoff baseball in the day, and then again in the evening. I really miss that. Now,..it is all about tv ratings and nonsense. The love for the game is going away in many ways.
DETMURDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:25 PM   #11
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAR(cotics) View Post
So lets make a system were the Yanks Red sox and Rays all get in.

Good Job GUIZ!! :thumbsup2:

/endsarcasm/
Sorry, but, that is the stark reality of baseball these days. The Phillies/Rays series was one of the least watched in history, and you wait and see when the ratings come in for this year's series the numbers are going to be significantly lower than last year's.

Not that I am a fan of seeing the Sox and Yanks in it every single year, but, those are the teams that draw viewers.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote