Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 10-26-2010, 08:17 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Amazing that Wade Phillips has a job

1-5 and now Romo is out. Jerry Jones insists his coach's job is safe during the season. But how bad can it get? Things in Big D are ugly. Do they really have as much talent as commentators say? If so, no team is underperforming in recent history like them. Wonder if Bill Cowher or Jon Gruden is interested?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:54 PM   #2
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

NAR(cotics) is on a distinguished road

Wade Phillips can not control that Romo got DESTROYED, and he's out for 8 weeks.

However the first 6 weeks with this talent prove that Wade does not deserve a job, but hell neither does Singeltary or Marv Lewis right now.

My only championship this year....college soccer. :thumbdown:
NAR(cotics) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:29 AM   #3
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Let's not leave Norv Turner out of this discussion - or Brad Childress.

And I wouldn't characterize John Fox's or Jack Del Rio's job security as ironclad either.

Josh McDaniels is also in the pink-slip mix - as are both Lovie Smith and Andy Reid, if their teams go from here where I think both of them go from here.

As for Wade Phillips' potential successor: Don't ask me to go into elaborate detail, but somehow Bill Cowher strikes me as someone Jerry Jones would go after before Jon Gruden, Tony Dungy or Brian Billick. Replacing Reid with Dungy might be the thing that keeps Michael Vick in Philly, if that's the direction the Eagles want to go at quarterback; otherwise Gruden, once the Eagles' offensive coordinator, makes more sense. Similarly, one-time Minnesota offensive coordinator Billick makes eminent good sense to succeed Childress.

Last edited by Anthony; 10-28-2010 at 03:36 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:34 AM   #4
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!

DETMURDS has a little shameless behavior in the past

Could one imagine if Jimmy Johnson came back to coach the Cowboys? ..Now that would be a great gimmick!
DETMURDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:18 PM   #5
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Anthony has been saying Philadelphia should can Andy Reid ever since I joined the boards.

Is Jason Garrett no longer guaranteed the job once Wade Phillips packs his bags?
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:22 PM   #6
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

I feel like a lot of coaches are playing for their jobs.

Marv Lewis in Cincy
Eric Mangini in Cleveland
Singeltary wont make it to seasons end
Jason Garrett will replace wade phillips by week 10, depending how the Boys finish will depend if he keeps that job

Andy Reid is keeping his job Anthony, just give it up...lol

John Fox is already gone, he just doenst realize it yet

Old 10-29-2010, 02:45 AM   #7
Anthony

All bets are off in Philadelphia, since you never know what direction the Michael Vick-Kevin Kolb situation might take. I for one can easily envision Andy Reid changing his mind again and going back to Kolb, whereupon the whole thing implodes, aided and abetted by compulsive troublemakers of the Jemele Hill variety.

By 2013 Reid could be in his native Los Angeles, as head coach of its newly-minted expansion team - and that is Item 2 on the owners' post-labor-settlement agenda, after the 18-game schedule.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:57 PM   #8
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

Haha Reid isnt going to bench Vick again, Vick's first benching was just due to a bad luck injury, he played like he was one of the top 3 QB's in the league after Manning and Brady, he's not going to sit again, he won't allow it to happen. With Vick Reid wins enough to make it to the playoffs and keeps his job.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:58 AM   #9
Anthony

But have you looked at the Eagles' remaining schedule? If the favorite wins every game, they'll finish 7-9, tops - no matter who plays quarterback.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:45 AM   #10
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

Yes if the favorite won every game anthony than the Saints would not be 4 and 3 right now.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:32 PM   #11
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
1-5 and now Romo is out. Jerry Jones insists his coach's job is safe during the season. But how bad can it get? Things in Big D are ugly. Do they really have as much talent as commentators say? If so, no team is underperforming in recent history like them. Wonder if Bill Cowher or Jon Gruden is interested?
I doubt Gruden or Cowher would be interested simply because those guys are going to want go somewhere where they can have a real say in how the roster is made up. The sole reason Wade Phillips got the job in the first place was because Jerry knew Wade has no backbone nor the cajones to stand up to him the way Jimmy Johnson and Parcells did.

Cowher or Gruden were to go there it would be only for two or three years until they got fed up with Jones' meddling, much the same way Parcells bolted after three years.

As for Gruden according to a lot of what is being written he loves doing MNF and there is a good chance he will never coach again.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:34 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Let's not leave Norv Turner out of this discussion - or Brad Childress.

And I wouldn't characterize John Fox's or Jack Del Rio's job security as ironclad either.

Josh McDaniels is also in the pink-slip mix - as are both Lovie Smith and Andy Reid, if their teams go from here where I think both of them go from here.

As for Wade Phillips' potential successor: Don't ask me to go into elaborate detail, but somehow Bill Cowher strikes me as someone Jerry Jones would go after before Jon Gruden, Tony Dungy or Brian Billick. Replacing Reid with Dungy might be the thing that keeps Michael Vick in Philly, if that's the direction the Eagles want to go at quarterback; otherwise Gruden, once the Eagles' offensive coordinator, makes more sense. Similarly, one-time Minnesota offensive coordinator Billick makes eminent good sense to succeed Childress.
John Fox was considered a lame duck entering this season anyway. The only reason Carolina did not make the switch after last season was because they did not want to sign a new coach to a long term deal only to have there be a work stoppage next year.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:36 PM   #13
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobynosker View Post
Anthony has been saying Philadelphia should can Andy Reid ever since I joined the boards.
Check that he has been claiming Reid was on his way out for the past three years. :lol:

Quote:
Is Jason Garrett no longer guaranteed the job once Wade Phillips packs his bags?
Probably not since an underachieving offense has been one of the biggest scapegoats in Dallas the last two years. The media has burying Garrett for his lack of imagination in play-calling and for not playing to the team's strengths on offense.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:40 PM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
But have you looked at the Eagles' remaining schedule? If the favorite wins every game, they'll finish 7-9, tops - no matter who plays quarterback.
To be honest I see the Eagles being favored in at least four if not five more games this season. Just based on the direction teams seem to be headed right now.

The Eagles will be favored against both their games against Dallas, They will be favored against the Vikings in Week 16. I think they will likely be favorites against the Bears who seem to be falling apart right now and against the Texans simply because dome teams typically do not play well on the road in December.

I'd say the Eagles have a legit shot at winning 9 or 10 games this year.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:04 AM   #15
Anthony

I can see both the Bears and Cowboys opening as, say, 1 or 1 1/2-point favorites in their home games against the Eagles; and the Texans are a retractable-roof team whose roof has been open more than half the time since joining the NFL in 2002. Houston is also a respectable 3-5 straight up - and 5-3 against the spread - since 2005 as a visitor in cold weather.

And the way the NFC East is going - and now Washington has joined in the act, with Shanahan benching McNabb - it wouldn't surprise me if no one in the division besides the Giants wins another game the rest of this season, except when they play each other.