Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 06-09-2004, 06:39 PM   #1
BaptistBaller
Rookie Player

BaptistBaller is on a distinguished road
Cool White Superstars

Larry Bird was asked if the NBA need more white stars? He replied yes. Are there great white hopes in the NBA or is it just a Black mans game.

By the way this is not to cause racial tension, or a need for racial slurs to be thrown. Thank You!
BaptistBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 06:54 PM   #2
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

not at all. in today's game, race is less and less important. what is important is talent. if it's there- you have a superstar, no matter what color he is.
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 09:54 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I'm a caucasian suburbanite and I like the game just the same without having any superstar white players. In fact, I didn't even think about it until this was brought up. Basketball is basketball, and I enjoy it.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 12:33 AM   #4
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
I'm a caucasian suburbanite and I like the game just the same without having any superstar white players. In fact, I didn't even think about it until this was brought up. Basketball is basketball, and I enjoy it.
But you're still tired of internationalization...right?
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 11:45 PM   #5
Spikedmace
All-Star Player

Spikedmace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
Right on! I look at the skills the player has.
Spikedmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 10:58 AM   #6
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

I just love how Bird thinks the NBA needs white stars to be successful, yet look when they pan a stadium at these game. Packed crowds, predominantly white.

Now, getting some better basketball...well...that's something that I want as well. Save for the second round, the pro game is in a funk right now. I don't really think white stars are going to do anything to save the game, though.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 11:21 PM   #7
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I don't care who saves the game Doug, just as long as someone does.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 12:24 AM   #8
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

ROFLMAO, Buckeye......

AMEN>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 06-12-2004, 01:33 AM   #9
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Did you guys watch this thing with Bird-Magic-Bron-Mello ? I thought the remarks were "insider" remarks. Stuff only ball players know about really. God it's good to see Magic though. Anytime he talks about b-ball, you can still see the passion and love instead of contract disputes and tats.
Old 06-12-2004, 01:56 AM   #10
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

The next big white nba super star: Luke Walton. This guy could be huge for basketball. He will be on the lakers, which might be a good team down the road in a few years. Watching him play, he has amazing vision of the court. He can pass and will develop into a super star. He has already played great as a rookie for the lakers and who knows, why couldn't he be the man to lead the way for more white nba super stars?
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 10:21 AM   #11
cubfan13
Rated SC's #1 Prospect

cubfan13 is on a distinguished road

two words=Kirk Hinrich
cubfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 04:34 PM   #12
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

We're talking elite of the elite guys. On their best days, in the prime of the careers, Hinrich and Walton will be half as good as Larry Bird was when he was 2 years old. No offense to either guy, I think both have promising careers and hope they do well, but superstars? And on the level of a Bird or Maravich or Cousy?

Again, I don't care who saves the league, just as long as someone does. Lebron is pretty strong, but still not nearly at the level of Magic, Bird or Jordan, even in their early years. I'm giving Lebron a few years and need to see production out of him.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:49 PM   #13
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

Clipps is on a distinguished road

CHRIS KAMAN BABY....WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
*****pass me the bottle and fill the glass up
Clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 06:29 AM   #14
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

I don't feel a need for any white superstars to make the NBA better. I feel that the game as whole has gone downhill since the lockout. I really enjoyed watching Jordan and the Bulls back in the mid to late 90's. Once that team was broken up and the lockout happened the game steadily began declining. Jason Kidd and his Net teammates successfully got Byron Scott fired. A man that had taken them to two straight NBA Finals appearances and was in first place at the time. Control needs to be taken away from the players and be put back into the hands of the coaches and front offices. I hope Detroit beats the Lakers and wins the NBA title. The Pistons play a team game. I respect that- a lot. I'm tired of all the "me" players in today's games who are more concerned with their personal performance than that of their team.

The NBA doesn't need another Bird or Cousy. They need to figure out how to regain control from the players. As long as this is a player controlled league it'll continue to be my least favorite of the pro leagues.
Old 06-13-2004, 12:01 PM   #15
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by buckeyefan78
I don't care who saves the game Doug, just as long as someone does.
I don't know about you, but the game doesn't look pretty dead in these finals. The places are packed and electric, even if some of the play is sloppy. The game will be in good hands with players like LeBron and Carmelo. It's a waste cause to try to make today's game like it was in the '80s, times change and you might as well try to adapt. You could even argue basketball is the doing the second best of the four major sports, behind only football.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote