Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 06-09-2004, 06:11 PM   #1
BaptistBaller
Rookie Player

BaptistBaller is on a distinguished road
Question Gary, Laker or Flaker

Why doesnt someone talk about the lack of Hall of Fame Character Gary Payton has. I love the Lakers but gary is as much of a player right now as Samake Walker.For Gary Payton To just say that, " As long as we are winning games, its fine with me." No! thats not a heart of a Hall of Famer. Karl Malone goes in with a bads knee, and allows himself to be a presence, yet Payton will sit on the bench and be the must star studded bench warmer. That does not fly. You can start anything great, but what really matters is how you finish. Payton needs to act like he wants a ring, because if the Lakers win this title,he does not deserve one.
BaptistBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 07:27 PM   #2
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

I can't argue with that... Payton's performance in the Playoffs has been awful; certainly not "Hall-of-Fame" style
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 05:08 AM   #3
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

But I don't think the Glove is going out like that...
I have a hunch we might see an inspired Gary out there in Detroit.
Everyone has been talking bad about him, no one expects anything from him anymore, Detroit's sidelines are going to provoke him, and let's not forget I think Gary might just want a championship just as much as anyone else on the court or more.

Let's see if Gary snaps and channels it into his game....
Old 06-10-2004, 11:43 PM   #4
Spikedmace
All-Star Player

Spikedmace is on a distinguished road

Who the hell is Gary Payton?? :goof: :spit: :el: :lol: :bash: :tsk:
Spikedmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 12:07 AM   #5
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Payton is done. Since he realized he doesn't fit this offense, he's just a shell of what he used to be. He doesn't seem like he's comfortable anywhere on the court during a game. He's lost & will never be found......
Old 06-11-2004, 02:01 AM   #6
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by Spikedmace
Who the hell is Gary Payton?? :goof: :spit: :el: :lol: :bash: :tsk:

:redhot: :freak: :no way: :bash: :liar: :wtf:

oh and don't forget the damn banana

:banana:
Old 06-11-2004, 11:02 AM   #7
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

I have a feeling that Gary Payton is going to put the team on his back in one of these games, if the Lakers are to win the Series. Right now, they just seem like they are going to Kobe and Shaq ONLY. In the past, obviously Shaq and Kobe were the focal points, but they came up with other options. Fox and Horry hitting shots. Fischer providing a spark when he had an on game.

At some point, Payton needs to realize that he isn't just a point guard on a Hall of Fame team, but he's a damn good player as well.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 04:06 PM   #8
LLBIII29
Sports Enthusiast

LLBIII29 is on a distinguished road

I think that the Lakers need to play more as a team like you are suggesting. Right now, it looks to me like the star players on the Lakers team are doing well as individuals but the Pistons are playing as a team.

Team play over individual play every time.

I'm still predicting Pistons win in 6.

I can't wait to see what happens next.
LLBIII29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 10:22 AM   #9
mattyc
Grizzled Veteran

mattyc is on a distinguished road

Phil has to start Fisher. He can still hit an open shot and has done the role before.

I'm not usually one for changing rotations at this stage of the year, but I think Fish has to replace Payton.
mattyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 04:33 PM   #10
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Fish is struggling with a bad knee and isn't big enough or strong enough to hold Billups in check on defense. However, the fact that Fish can hit a shot once in a blue moon makes him 10 times better then Payton on the offensive side of the ball. Fish would proably go over those high picks more to contest Billups, but in reality, I don't think he can keep up with him for 48 minutes.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 08:40 AM   #11
LLBIII29
Sports Enthusiast

LLBIII29 is on a distinguished road

Wow, maybe I gave the Lakers to much credit. I picked Pistons in 6. It is all because the Pistons have great team unity. The Lakers have good players but they do not play well together.

Wow, could be Pistons in 5. Maybe Lakers will extend the series one more game and make my prediction right.

I doubt it though! :bash:
LLBIII29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 04:07 PM   #12
trayhezy
All-Star Player

trayhezy is on a distinguished road

I think that it's a crock of bull to lay so much of this mess at Gary Payton's door step. When he signed with this team he said that he just wanted to fit in and all he would do is run the offense, get the ball to the guys when they need it and try to run and get the team out in transition as much as possible. When the season started he was allowed to do that and they went 18-3 to start. Then when Malone got hurt and they lost a few games Kobe went to Phillip and asked that the offense be run through him thereby reducing Gary to "step aside and watch the great Kobe" duty.
On the flip side Derek Fisher makes one timely/lucky shot and all of the sudden he is the second coming of Jerry West, never mind the fact that he shot 25% from the three point line against the Spurs and only 38% against the Pistons. Plus he could not stop Tony Parker or Chauncey Billups when he guarded them either and would have likely got torched by Cassell had he been able to play. It's time for the Laker fans to stop making excuses and finding scapegoats and admit that they got stomped by a BETTER TEAM.
until I'm Tiger dead
trayhezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 06:20 PM   #13
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

you're right. a better TEAM beats INDIVIDUALS.
[email protected]#$^ gary payton for not integrating.