Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 09-13-2006, 11:18 PM   #1
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about
Default Get To Know As Many People As You Can

That is my one piece of advice that I would give anyone. It is something you never really hear people tell you to do, but yet it is so important. And few people do it.

Get to know the people around you. Get to know who they are, where they came from, why they do the things they do. It is important because you can learn from all of these people and use their stories and logic some how in your own life.

The most important reason to do so is that the people around you come and go. There are so many people I wish I got to know better and I am only 18 years old! People who others never gave a chance, people who no one understood, people who I never gave the chance. If you have the opportunity to get to know someone, do it. People leave. They die, they move, you get moved, and you just never talk to them again. It is just fulfilling to be able think back upon people and reflect about the things you knew about them and that you understood them.

That is my advice. People now days get so caught up in themselves and their own lives that they don't take the time to get to know the people around them and it is a shame.

Anyways that is my rant... I just wanted you to ponder that.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:45 PM   #2
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

I just recently ask my mom and dad about our family tree. It was really cool - I found out that my dad's side came to America on the 2nd ship after the Mayflower. I have ancestors that were heavily invovled in the Revolutionary War - there is even a statue of my great, great, etc Grandfather in Lexington Center. Also what American Indian Tribe is in my blood (MicMac from Maine). I also learned that my Dad's father was a spy during WWII - he spoke 8 different languages and worked for the Office of Strategic Services (OSS) before the CIA was created. I never knew my grandfather personally (neither did my dad) but all that stuff was very interesting.

My 2 cents: Talk to your parents about your family history - you may find out some very interesting facts!
Old 09-14-2006, 10:23 AM   #3
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I'm 50 years old and have traveled and lived all over this country including Europe. Your right u should meet as many people as u can. Meeting most people will enrich your life. Of course some will have a negative impact. That is true in everything.

Do you think u could put a number on the amount of people u have met in your life? Man that would be mind boggling. Just in my hometown of Mobile I've probably met over 10,000 people since 1959 if not more.

I've learned a lot from others. You should too.:thumbup:
Old 09-14-2006, 03:19 PM   #4
LA sports
I love LA!

LA sports is on a distinguished road

I agree with Boston, talk to your parents. They will probably have a wealth of knowledge to share with you and I think family are the one's that are most important to get to know. I have always been the type that would rather have a few close friends than a lot of acquaintances.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:23 PM   #5
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

This advice sounds like work.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 03:38 PM   #6
Ellis
gymnopedist

Along the same lines, I think that the best type of personality to have is a jovial one. Not too many people have it, but the ones who do are just great to be around and will never drive themselves insane like everyone else.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:41 PM   #7
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
Along the same lines, I think that the best type of personality to have is a jovial one. Not too many people have it, but the ones who do are just great to be around and will never drive themselves insane like everyone else.
Are the non-jovials doomed to the insane asylum Ellis?
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:04 PM   #8
Ellis
gymnopedist

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
Are the non-jovials doomed to the insane asylum Ellis?
Quite possibly. Jovials don't get as stressed, which is healthier for your body and mind.

I don't know, I just hope then when I grow I am still a kid at heart and don't let material things become big priorities.

Last edited by Ellis; 09-14-2006 at 11:07 PM.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:44 AM   #9
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

jhuerbin88 is on a distinguished road

Wow, Rob, I am thoroughly impressed with this thread (sorry I missed it during my absence). I nominate this for SC thread of the year.

If everybody got to know everybody, we'd all come to the conclusion that we're all just human. I know that sounds difficult to understand and in a way kind of funny, but it's true. We all make mistakes and we have different viewpoints on certain issues, but we're all the same. In a way we are different, but in a way we are the same.

Most people won't do this because they're too concerned with their own life, but if they took the time to look at other people, they'd realize there is more to life than just themselves.

On a side note to Rob: Those oral histories we did in our WWII class were great. The interviews we did and the life stories we learned were all the more interesting.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:23 AM   #10
Montrovant
Hatecarver

Montrovant is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
This advice sounds like work.
For the next 5 minutes after reading this, you are my hero buckeye :lol:

Not only is it work, but honestly, the returns aren't worth it! After I get to know people, they'll start borrowing money, bugging me while I play games, try to get me to leave the house....you know, annoying stuff
Montrovant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:27 AM   #11
Cure
Agnostic Cards fan

Cure is on a distinguished road

The more I get to know some people, the less I want to get to know others.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:29 AM   #12
Ellis
gymnopedist

These last two posts are depressing. You are missing the point... but I won't try and argue my point. You guys just don't get the point.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:39 AM   #13
Cure
Agnostic Cards fan

Cure is on a distinguished road

I'm just playing around. I come from a long line of smartasses and I forget sometimes that no one knows me.

Both my granddad's were in Europe during WWII. One was a tailgunner on a Fortress and the other was a logistics officer. I actually learned yesterday that my dad's dad (logistic) spent time after VE Day destroying US warplanes. There were too many to haul back to the US but they didn't want to leave them there...so they were ordered to crush them with bulldozers.

You should always get to know your family... unless they're crazy fundie Southern Baptists, then don't bother.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:53 AM   #14
Montrovant
Hatecarver

Montrovant is on a distinguished road

My post was meant to be playful, sorry if you took it otherwise.

However.....

If I don't agree with you, it certainly doesn't mean I don't get your point. It just means I don't agree.
I'm not a social person. I can get along with most people pretty well on a superficial basis (those who are easily offended will probably dislike me pretty quickly though ). My beliefs and ideas are often contrary to others', though, often making anything other than that superficial contact unlikely. As I've gotten older, I've enjoyed social activities less and less; I'm lazy, and past the point where youth gives me a lot of excess energy, so sports/physical activities are out for the most part. I don't drink, and don't like being around drunk people, so most gatherings I might go to are just going to piss me off. I don't believe in the concept of loving/getting along with your family simply because they are your family. Most of my family lives a long way away, and I don't talk to those nearby, so that's out. I'm not big on small talk (did I make a pun?), so unless there's a good argument or substantial conversation to join, I'm not going to talk to people I don't know. I love the friends I have and enjoy the time I spend with them; I also enjoy being alone sometimes; I don't feel any particular hole in my life because I don't get to know more people.

You feel your life is better, more enriched, when you get to know as many people as you can. That's great, and I'm happy you've found that to be true. But something I'd think you'd learn in getting to know all those people is that there are many different kinds of people. Not everyone is going to feel their lives are better for the same reasons you do. Obviously I'm one of those

And hey! I've gotten to know a little about the people who post here (ok, very little, but it's more than nothing! lol). Maybe I just prefer to get to know people through a different medium
Montrovant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:57 AM   #15
Ellis
gymnopedist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrovant View Post
My post was meant to be playful, sorry if you took it otherwise.

However.....

If I don't agree with you, it certainly doesn't mean I don't get your point. It just means I don't agree.
I'm not a social person. I can get along with most people pretty well on a superficial basis (those who are easily offended will probably dislike me pretty quickly though ). My beliefs and ideas are often contrary to others', though, often making anything other than that superficial contact unlikely. As I've gotten older, I've enjoyed social activities less and less; I'm lazy, and past the point where youth gives me a lot of excess energy, so sports/physical activities are out for the most part. I don't drink, and don't like being around drunk people, so most gatherings I might go to are just going to piss me off. I don't believe in the concept of loving/getting along with your family simply because they are your family. Most of my family lives a long way away, and I don't talk to those nearby, so that's out. I'm not big on small talk (did I make a pun?), so unless there's a good argument or substantial conversation to join, I'm not going to talk to people I don't know. I love the friends I have and enjoy the time I spend with them; I also enjoy being alone sometimes; I don't feel any particular hole in my life because I don't get to know more people.

You feel your life is better, more enriched, when you get to know as many people as you can. That's great, and I'm happy you've found that to be true. But something I'd think you'd learn in getting to know all those people is that there are many different kinds of people. Not everyone is going to feel their lives are better for the same reasons you do. Obviously I'm one of those

And hey! I've gotten to know a little about the people who post here (ok, very little, but it's more than nothing! lol). Maybe I just prefer to get to know people through a different medium
I can't stand parties, can't stand being in large groups of people, I am not very social, Ican't stand being watched, etc. It's not that I am for people going out and networking and going to social events. I think that those types of things are fake and complete crap.

I just think that on a person level you should just get to know people 1 on 1, behind the scenes. I just think it is fulfilling.