Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 12-06-2006, 04:45 PM   #1
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Default Where Are the Great Music Artists?

When I was growing up we had the Beatles, Rolling Stones,Eagles, Chicago,Pink Floyd and a thousand other big popular rock bands and etc.

Why aren't there really music-shaking bands anymore that people just fall in love with?

Or those that make a big social impact.

Is Rap the best we have? Or whatever else you call today's music.

It seems Rap is in every commerical or sports set to Rap music. Do people really like that stuff? I guess I can answer that-They do for whatever reason!

i know I'm 50 years old, but I just can't see any value or pleasure coming from it. I'm just not hip I guess.

But I can rap. "Hip-Hop my name is Keith and I have no teeth. I have someone else chew my food while I sit there looking like a fool". ----THAT WAS GOOD
Old 12-06-2006, 08:11 PM   #2
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I don't think popular mainstream music has been influential or socially relevant since the early to mid 90s.

These kids can't even get angst right nowadays.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:51 PM   #3
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama4256
When I was growing up we had the Beatles, Rolling Stones,Eagles, Chicago,Pink Floyd and a thousand other big popular rock bands and etc.

Why aren't there really music-shaking bands anymore that people just fall in love with?

Or those that make a big social impact.

Is Rap the best we have? Or whatever else you call today's music.

It seems Rap is in every commerical or sports set to Rap music. Do people really like that stuff? I guess I can answer that-They do for whatever reason!

i know I'm 50 years old, but I just can't see any value or pleasure coming from it. I'm just not hip I guess.

But I can rap. "Hip-Hop my name is Keith and I have no teeth. I have someone else chew my food while I sit there looking like a fool". ----THAT WAS GOOD

I too hunger for the days of the Beatles and classic musical gems like "Love Me Do."

Love, love me do.
You know I love you,
I'll always be true,
So please, love me do.
Whoa, love me do.

Love, love me do.
You know I love you,
I'll always be true,
So please, love me do.
Whoa, love me do.

Someone to love,
Somebody new.
Someone to love,
Someone like you.

Love, love me do.
You know I love you,
I'll always be true,
So please, love me do.
Whoa, love me do.

Love, love me do.
You know I love you,
I'll always be true,
So please, love me do.
Whoa, love me do.
Yeah, love me do.
Whoa, oh, love me do.

Wow. Apparently they didn't have a whole lot to say back then.

Luckily for me, as a fan of hip-hop music, several artists have much more meaningful things to say than the stereotypical raps about "*****es," "drugs," and "bling, bling" which most people think consume the hip-hop musical world.

Where is my Public Enemy CD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78
I don't think popular mainstream music has been influential or socially relevant since the early to mid 90s.

These kids can't even get angst right nowadays.
And even those angst-filled bands of the early 1990s (Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots and yes, even Pearl Jam) pale in comparison to The Clash, The Damned, The Ramones and The Sex Pistols.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 08:41 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Pop Music peaked in the mid to late 80s and it has been going steadily downhill since then.

The reason why there are no musical acts that are out there to make a statement or be revolutionary is because there is no money in it. You lose too much money if you are controversial or non-PC these days. Look at what happened to the Dixie Chicks a couple of years ago.

Also, once the up-and-coming bands sign with record labels they have to start doing what the label wants and make more 'radio friendly' music so they can sell CDs.

The main problem is none of these groups have any real staying power. The Beatles were able to gain the leverage to do what they wanted because, first and foremost, they sold millions of records doing the pop-rock thing and got to the point where they were good enough musicians to be able to innovate and had enough money that it didn't ruin them financially if a record tanked. Too many acts are more interested in continually making as much money as possible instead of making enough money to live off of for the rest of their lives and then making music they can be proud of.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 08:50 PM   #5
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Pop Music peaked in the mid to late 80s and it has been going steadily downhill since then.

The reason why there are no musical acts that are out there to make a statement or be revolutionary is because there is no money in it. You lose too much money if you are controversial or non-PC these days. Look at what happened to the Dixie Chicks a couple of years ago.

Also, once the up-and-coming bands sign with record labels they have to start doing what the label wants and make more 'radio friendly' music so they can sell CDs.

The main problem is none of these groups have any real staying power. The Beatles were able to gain the leverage to do what they wanted because, first and foremost, they sold millions of records doing the pop-rock thing and got to the point where they were good enough musicians to be able to innovate and had enough money that it didn't ruin them financially if a record tanked. Too many acts are more interested in continually making as much money as possible instead of making enough money to live off of for the rest of their lives and then making music they can be proud of.
doublee swings guitar over his head into amp and yells "ROCK N' ROLL!!!"

Old 12-08-2006, 08:38 AM   #6
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
Too many acts are more interested in continually making as much money as possible instead of making enough money to live off of for the rest of their lives and then making music they can be proud of.
I would agree with this statement in a number of cases, but only with those who place too-much stock into their placement on the Billboard charts.

If you look at those who were nominated for this year's Grammy Awards (announced on Thursday), you will see a number of artists who are not in constant rotation on pop or top-40 radio stations but still make comparable music (and music that they should be proud of) and get the recognition they deserve come award season.

This year alone saw India.Arie, Mary J. Blige, John Legend, Mos Def, Corinne Bailey Rae and Joss Stone score nominations, while other nominees like Gnarls Barkley, James Blunt, John Mayer and the Red Hot Chili Peppers have crossed over into the mainstream and did so while making great music they can be proud of.

To me, this is the equivalent of saying there are no good movies being made anymore because Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith was the top-grossing film of last year.

You can find the musical equivalent of Brokeback Mountain, Capote, Good Night, and Good Luck, and Walk the Line.

You just have to go out and seek it, instead of relying on the mainstream media and pop radio to distinguish the "good" from the "bad" for you.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 03:01 PM   #7
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

IntheNet is on a distinguished road

Based purely upon who records songs and tunes for movie sountracks, Phil Collins (of Genesis* fame) has the pop music category all to himself... lots of Disney, Pixar, and United Artist movies feature Collins, either solo or with contributory vocals...

*btw: Genesis is reloaded and doing European Tour; no word yet on American dates...
Old 12-09-2006, 03:37 PM   #8
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

Eagles and Chicago? I don't think that they fit in the same class as the Rolling Stones, Beatles, and Pink Floyd. But anyways... to answer your question as to whether people really like this stuff... yes. Most people do like this stuff. I agree that most of the music now days is complete crap. Some of it is good though. You just have to filter through all of the crap to find the good stuff.

Anyways, I think that the music in America is having an enormous social impact on our society. Know days kids are growing up listening to African-American artists and are idolizing them. I think that once our generation is the one that rules the population, you will see a lot more racial tolerance and a lot less racism.

I do agree that there are no great artists around today (other than Tony Bennett.)
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 04:51 PM   #9
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Even rap isn't rap anymore. So much of it has become pop rap ... soft with no flow or talent required. 50 Cent has done too much of singing rather than rapping and people rag on him for that. I still happen to love rap, especially guys who can really do it, like Nas and Jay-Z. There's plenty of rap junk, but still good stuff.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 02:29 PM   #10
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
Anyways, I think that the music in America is having an enormous social impact on our society. Know days kids are growing up listening to African-American artists and are idolizing them. I think that once our generation is the one that rules the population, you will see a lot more racial tolerance and a lot less racism.
Actually the reverse of this is happening IMO. I teach white, rich kids in the suburbs. They like rap. They actually believe what they see on tv in rap videos is indicative of life in the inner-city. Many of them have never seen an African-American in their lives.

All part of that homogenization and false sense of proper ownership that our culture has sunk into with the rise of mass junk media and technology to get the most profit out of a common consumer (see the call for a college football playoff as a perfect example in the world of sports).
Old 12-15-2006, 02:40 PM   #11
carter08
Mr. Tambourine Man

carter08 is on a distinguished road

We still have the Stones, Paul mcCartney, and others making albums and touring

Maybe when they all die we will see a new age of music rise from the ashes
Old 12-15-2006, 03:19 PM   #12
BigBuddhaPup
Steelers lovin' canine

BigBuddhaPup is on a distinguished road

Popular music in the last 15 years has become number at the bottom of corporate balance sheet... Grunge was the last real popular movement in music... I dig constantly into the past looking for good music, I listen to suggestions of others, I look for connections in artists/genres... I would suggest some good jazz(Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, John Coltrane, Charles Mingus) or some new indie music(The Decemberists, Spoon, Sufjan Stevens, Dresden Dolls).. there is good music out there, it just happens to be under the radar... Emusic is a good site for indie music...

:thumbup: Go Steelers....
"So it goes"
BigBuddhaPup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 07:31 PM   #13
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

jhuerbin88 is on a distinguished road

Grew up liking the classics (Beatles, Stones, Pink Floyd) and have no problem listening to them, but as I tried to expand my musical radius, I've begun to listen to a lot more folk and indie music. Anything with a catchy beat and an acoustic guitar usually grabs my attention. I like that stuff. Very soothing and relaxing.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:20 AM   #14
Ravana
Revolution w/b improvised

Ravana is on a distinguished road

"These kids can't even get angst right nowadays."

These kids can't even spell angst right nowadays.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:51 AM   #15
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravana View Post
"These kids can't even get angst right nowadays."

These kids can't even spell angst right nowadays.
Reading that again makes me think of the opening line from Nirvana's first song off of In Utero ("Serve the Servants") where Kurt sings...

Teenage angst has paid off well. Now I'm bored and old.

Perfect.

Why does everybody who is cool have to commit suicide or suffer a mental breakdown?