Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 09-06-2007, 03:22 PM   #1
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road
Default Ten Must-See Movies for Fall 2007

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (R)
Release Date: September 21, 2007
Directed by Andrew Dominik
Written by Ron Hansen
Starring Casey Affleck, Zooey Deschanel, Mary-Louise Parker, Brad Pitt, Jeremy Renner, Sam Rockwell, Paul Schneider and Sam Shepard
Premise: The movie tells the story of how Robert Ford (Affleck) joined Jesse James' (Pitt) gang, only to become resentful of the legendary outlaw and hatch a plan to kill James, the fastest gun in the West.

Feast of Love (R)
Release Date: September 28, 2007
Directed by Robert Benton
Written by Allison Burnett
Starring Jane Alexander, Selma Blair, Billy Burke, Alexa Davalos, Morgan Freeman, Toby Hemingway, Stana Katic, Greg Kinnear, Erika Marozsan, Radha Mitchell and Fred Ward
Premise: Directed by Oscar winner Robert Benton (Kramer vs. Kramer), the story is based on a Charles Baxter novel and revolves around a community of friends in Oregon who navigate the sometimes painful incarnations of love.

Michael Clayton (R)
Release Date: October 5, 2007
Directed by Tony Gilroy
Written by Tony Gilroy
Starring George Clooney, Pamela Gray, Sydney Pollack, Tilda Swinton and Tom Wilkinson
Premise: George Clooney plays an elite New York attorney known among his colleagues as "The Janitor" because for 15 years he's worked behind the scenes to clean up his high-profile clients' messy personal problems. The story takes place over the four worst days of his career.

We Own The Night (R)
Release Date: October 12, 2007
Directed by James Gray
Written by James Gray
Starring Robert Duvall, Eva Mendes, Joaquin Phoenix, Alex Veadov and Mark Wahlberg
Premise: New York, 1988 - A new breed of narcotics has swept the great city, bringing with it a ferocious crime wave more terrifying than any in recent memory. Outmanned and outgunned by the new criminal order, the police find themselves burying one of their own at the rate of two a month. An all-out war rages, threatening to engulf guilty and innocent alike.

Gone Baby, Gone (R)
Release Date: October 19, 2007
Directed by Ben Affleck
Written by Ben Affleck and Aaron Stockard
Starring Casey Affleck, Morgan Freeman, Ed Harris and Michelle Monaghan
Premise: Gone, Baby, Gone, Academy Award®-winner Ben Affleck's directorial debut, stars Casey Affleck (Ocean's Eleven), Michelle Monaghan (Mission: Impossible III), Academy Award®-winner Morgan Freeman and Academy Award®-nominee Ed Harris. Based on the novel by Dennis Lehane (Mystic River) and adapted for the screen by Affleck and Aaron Stockard, the film tells the story of two private investigators hunting for an abducted 4-year-old girl in the seamiest side of Boston's underworld.

Reservation Road (R)
Release Date: October 19, 2007
Directed by Terry George
Written by Terry George and Jonathan Burnham Schwartz
Starring Jennifer Connelly, Ell Fanning, Joaquin Phoenix, Mark Ruffalo and Mira Sorvino
Premise: Two families becomes intertwined when the father from one kills the son of the other in a hit-and-run.

American Gangster (R)
Release Date: November 2, 2007
Directed by Ridley Scott
Written by Steven Zallian
Starring Roger Bart, Josh Brolin, Common, Russell Crowe, Chiwetel Ejiofer, Carla Gugino, Ted Levine, John Ortiz, RZA, TI, Yul Vazquez and Denzel Washington
Premise: American Gangster concerns Harlem drug kingpin Frank Lucas (Washington), who smuggled heroin in the body bags of U.S. soldiers slain in Vietnam. Brolin plays Det. Trupo, a crooked NYPD cop who piggybacks on the Lucas investigation conducted by Det. Ritchie Roberts (Crowe).

Lions for Lambs (R)
Release Date: November 9, 2007
Directed by Robert Redford
Written by Matthew Michael Carnahan
Starring Tom Cruise, Derek Luke, Michael Pena, Robert Redford and Meryl Streep
Premise: Lions for Lambs consists of three interconnected storylines: Tom Cruise as a congressman who interacts with a journalist (Meryl Streep); Robert Redford as an idealistic professor who attempts to inspire a privileged student in his class; and a third storyline about a pair of American soldiers wounded in enemy territory, one of whom is Redford's former student.

No Country for Old Men (NR)
Release Date: November 9, 2007
Directed by Ethan Coen and Joel Coen
Written by Ethan Coen and Joel Coen
Starring Javier Bardem, Josh Brolin, Woody Harrelson, Tommy Lee Jones and Kelly Macdonald
Premise: The film follows Llewelyn Moss (Brolin), a husband out hunting near the Rio Grande who comes across a drug deal gone sour - leaving behind a cache of heroin, two million dollars and several bodies. When two more men end up murdered, the local Sheriff (Jones) realizes Moss and his wife need protection. Things turn dangerous when various men, ranging from ruthless freelancers to ex-Special Forces members, turn up to find out the truth and destroy all evidence.

August Rush (PG)
Release Date: November 21, 2007
Directed by Kirsten Sheridan
Written by Kirsten Sheridan
Starring Freddie Highmore, Terrance Howard, Jonathan Rhys-Meyers, Keri Russell and Robin Williams
Premise: August Rush tells the story of a charismatic young Irish guitarist (Jonathan Rhys Meyers) and a sheltered young cellist (Keri Russell) who have a chance encounter one magical night above New York's Washington Square, but are soon torn apart, leaving in their wake an infant, August Rush, orphaned by circumstance. Now performing on the streets of New York and cared for by a mysterious stranger (Robin Williams), August (Freddie Highmore) uses his remarkable musical talent to seek the parents from whom he was separated at birth.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:43 AM   #2
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

None look that great to me.:thumbdown:
Old 09-07-2007, 02:55 PM   #3
GilbertArenas
All-Star Player

GilbertArenas is on a distinguished road
Default Great List

I have to say most if not all of those look very awesome to intriguing, especially "We Own The Night". Two more I'd like to throw out there are Dan In Real Life starring Steve Carell and Dane Cook. Here's the trailer... http://www.apple.com/trailers/touchstone/daninreallife/

Also- National Treasure Book of Secrets looks sweet. Very cool plotline, and amazing cast, Jon Voight, Harvey Keitel, Nick Cage, and Helen Mirren.

http://youtube.com/user/BookOfSecrets :thumbsup2:
GilbertArenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:50 PM   #4
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I want to see the Jesse James movie. I am genuinely related to him.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:40 PM   #5
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

I am as well, Marc. We must be distant cousins or something.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:42 PM   #6
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Ready to see American Gangster. Denzel Washington is one of my fav actors.

Gone Baby Gone looks interesting. Morgan Freeman and Ed Harris. Does it get any better? Here's hoping Ben Affleck can direct better than he can act.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:21 AM   #7
GilbertArenas
All-Star Player

Default Ed Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dublin Mike View Post
Ready to see American Gangster. Denzel Washington is one of my fav actors.

Gone Baby Gone looks interesting. Morgan Freeman and Ed Harris. Does it get any better? Here's hoping Ben Affleck can direct better than he can act.
Shouldn't Ed Harris be mayor of a town somewhere in New England? The guy is juts such a legend, my top 5 actors of all time, and the reason I'm convinced that National Treasure 2 Book of Secrets will be the rare sequel better than the first film. It looked like a kick ass movie to begin with then I saw Ed Harris in it and I was sold.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:49 PM   #8
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertArenas
Shouldn't Ed Harris be mayor of a town somewhere in New England? The guy is juts such a legend, my top 5 actors of all time, and the reason I'm convinced that National Treasure 2 Book of Secrets will be the rare sequel better than the first film. It looked like a kick ass movie to begin with then I saw Ed Harris in it and I was sold.
It's nice to see some Ed Harris love. The guy was wonderful in Pollock.

But anything starring Nicolas Cage has the ability to suck tremendously...
Old 09-12-2007, 05:00 PM   #9
GilbertArenas
All-Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobynosker View Post
It's nice to see some Ed Harris love. The guy was wonderful in Pollock.

But anything starring Nicolas Cage has the ability to suck tremendously...
Cage gets a bad wrap, he's been in some all time CLASSIC flicks, Leaving Las Vegas, Raising Arizona, and The Rock to name a few (with Ed Harris) I might add. Nat'l Treasure 2 Book of Secrets has awesome potential. With Keitel, Voight, Harris, and Hellen Mirren, combined with an intriguing storyline, this flick will be good, my gut tells me so. :thumbsup2:
Old 09-13-2007, 10:27 AM   #10
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertArenas
Cage gets a bad wrap, he's been in some all time CLASSIC flicks, Leaving Las Vegas, Raising Arizona, and The Rock to name a few (with Ed Harris) I might add. Nat'l Treasure 2 Book of Secrets has awesome potential. With Keitel, Voight, Harris, and Hellen Mirren, combined with an intriguing storyline, this flick will be good, my gut tells me so.
Honestly, I hope the sequel turns out better than the original.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:33 PM   #11
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I am as well, Marc. We must be distant cousins or something.
My Dad's family goes back to Missouri, apparently where James is from. I must be closer, though, hence the same last name. How are you related? That's cool.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:14 PM   #12
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

I keep seeing a trailer on IFC called In the Valley of Elah. Looks like a really good flick.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:48 PM   #13
GilbertArenas
All-Star Player

Default Sequel better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobynosker View Post
Honestly, I hope the sequel turns out better than the original.
This could be the first time in a long while when the sequel can out do the first one NT2. Look at the cast alone? Harris and Voight. Plus so many people hate Nicj Cage but he's been in some stellar flicks and I think is a good fit for this type of role.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:22 PM   #14
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

Zeitgeist

This movie blew my mind

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:27 PM   #15
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

The Bucket List looks like it is either going to be really good or really cliché. Either way, it looks like it will be worth seeing... especially with such an amazing cast.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote