Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 10-13-2003, 03:31 PM   #1
rickcoyle
Grizzled Veteran

rickcoyle is on a distinguished road
Default The cowboys arent for real

some crazy disease has hit the NFL and after 6 weeks, two mediocre, no, worse than mediocre teams, sit atop there divisions. That being the Carolina Panthers and the Dallas Cowboys. Since the Panthers have just been lucky and always start out strong well let them go, but the real suprise team has been the cowboys and they are an average team at best.

they have average quarterbacks
sub-par running backs
decent playmaking receivers

They also have a decent defense.

Some experts are talking about who the Cowboys will be playing in the playoffs....seems to me a better question is who will the cowboys be taking high up in next years draft.

"They hate to love me"
~Terrell Owens~
rickcoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 05:08 PM   #2
Carlos Silva
Grizzled Veteran

Carlos Silva is on a distinguished road

They may have average quarterbacks, sub-par running backs, and
decent playmaking receivers but the fact of the matter is that they have been keeping the turnovers and mistakes down. That is how they pulled off the wins these past weeks.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:07 PM   #3
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

FSUViking is on a distinguished road

I'll give you the "luck factor" with Dallas, considering their offense is anemic. But Carolina? you don't get lucky beating Tampa and Indy ON THE ROAD.

Carolina is for real.
FSU: #3 recruiting class in the nation.
FSUViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 06:59 PM   #4
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Hambrick is subpar with a yards-per-carry of around 3, but Stephen Davis is a legit MVP candidate and far from subpar.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 08:11 PM   #5
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Rick, I'm not sure what you think it is that wins games in this league...

Let's just look at the last three Super Bowl winners...

TB: subpar to reasonably good QB, worst rushing game by a SB winner, DEFENSE

NE: reasonably good QB with no one to throw to, reasonably good rushing game with a subpar RB, DEFENSE

BALT: subpar QB, reasonably strong rushing game, DEFENSE.

And this luck factor thing, I take extreme issue with. The coaching had this Cowboys team ready. Who else in the NFL is LOOKING for a game-opening onsides kick? Parcells is near being completely alone on that list. And not only did they expect it, and were coached to expect it, they made Reid and the Eagles look absolutely foolish for attempting to run it by running it back for the game's first points.

My guess is that the Eagles won't be opening any games with an onsides kick for a year or so...

As for the Cowboys running game, while Hambrick himself may only have just over 3 ypc (3.4 to be official), the 'Boys rushing attack averages just under 4 ypc (3.9, officially) which puts the attack just outside the top quarter of the NFC. (Cason is averaging 8 ypc, because while he rarely touches, he touches for huge gains.)

Meanwhile, the 'Boys defense has the NFC's leading overall defense and #2 rush defense.

Also, it seems overstating a case to call the Cowboys offense anemic, when they sit at the halfway point in conference, have 40 more points than truly anemic offenses like Philly, Arizona, and Chicago, and have outscored their opponents by 30...

Dave
Old 10-14-2003, 11:06 PM   #6
Cowboy22
All-Star Player

Cowboy22 is on a distinguished road

*high fives Dave*
Home of Emmitt Smith---All-Time Rushing Leader (17,162 Yards)
Cowboy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 11:52 AM   #7
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Well lets see how they play over the next two or three games.
Old 10-15-2003, 03:00 PM   #8
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

I'd personally like to see all the so called NFL experts on FOX, ESPN and just about every other football related show, that at the start of the year kept telling us that the Cowboys would be a terrible team and probably win no more that 6 games at most, 3 of those wins coming from the "Parcells factor". However, those same guys are now kissing Parcells and Cowboys butts, and telling us what a great team they are. What great pundits!
Old 10-21-2003, 02:55 PM   #9
sportscolumn
Rookie Player

sportscolumn is on a distinguished road

you're as good as your record says you are.

The scary thing is that with only 16 games, the cowboys might actually win the division. Especially since the other teams in the NFC east are imploding.
sportscolumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 03:28 PM   #10
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Not to sound like a coach, but there's plenty of time for the Cowboys to similarly implode. The 'Boys are WAY ahead of the curve, despite what Doug wants to sell, and are outperforming their own coach's expectations. What does this mean? They're likely to plummet to earth fairly soon. Whether that's this coming week vs. the Bucs, or in a game in the next couple weeks remains to be seen. But, I believe the 'Boys may be one or two (depending on the who) injuries away from calamity. Were Carter to go down, I don't believe that Hutchinson would be as effective a QB for the 'Boys as Carter has been, and I question their depth in the secondary.

Otherwise, Dallas fans are having an amazing October. Cowboys winning. Stars... uh, I haven't paid any attention to the Stars... and the Mavs have Antoine Walker.

Hmmm...
At least they have the 'Boys, and that's all they really care about, anyway.

Dave
Old 10-21-2003, 07:29 PM   #11
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

FSUViking is on a distinguished road

If the experts tagged them as a 6 win team, and they are doing well now with 5 wins already, what's wrong with them saying Dallas is good? What the hell are they SUPPOSED to say?
FSU: #3 recruiting class in the nation.
FSUViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 07:47 PM   #12
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

It's fine for them to say the 'Boys are good, Purple. But, they need to preface it by saying, on the whole, "We suck."

I think TJ and Berman did that by starting NFL Primetime with the Dallas-Detroit tilt, by no means a good way to start a highlights show, but...

IF the Cowboys have only two losses heading into their bye week, there are going to be even more "mea culpas," but in general, sports writers don't like to admit their failures, but are usually more than happy to let you know when they were right about something.

Dave
Old 10-21-2003, 08:04 PM   #13
sportscolumn
Rookie Player

sportscolumn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave
but in general, sports writers don't like to admit their failures, but are usually more than happy to let you know when they were right about something.

Dave

The general excuse coming out of the sports writers is "we all knew Parcells would get this team to a high level... we just didn't think it'd be this quickly."
sportscolumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 08:39 PM   #14
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Dave, Dallas already had their bye.

I still don't think that coaching has had much to do with what Dallas has done.

You can say all you want about how coaching has them ready and point out stuff like the onside kick Philly did. But, did Parcells REALLY have Dallas ready for the onside kick? Philly DID the kick because they saw that Dallas was NOT ready for it. To think that they were LOOKING for the onside kick and prepared for it is just crazy.

Bottomline, the reason why I think the Cowboys are playing good is because Quincy Carter and the offense are maintaining time of possession better than before. I don't chalk that up to coaching, I chalk that up to Carter being the guy back there. He can play QB without looking over his shoulder. He has a healthy Joey Galloway and Antonio Bryant with a year under his belt. Is that because of Parcells' genius? No. Part of the reason why the offense is better is because they don't have Emmitt. Is that Parcells' coaching?
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 09:19 PM   #15
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Oops. I must have been thinking of the Pats bye, which comes the week before they host Dallas.

Okay, Doug. We've already covered this ground.

I fully believe that Parcells had the team ready for the onsides, regardless of what Parcells tells you, because that's what he does. He's a detail guy, and covers stupid details like Philly kicking onside kicks to open games every so often. You can live in your bubble on the matter, I'll live in mine. At the end of the day, the Eagles look absolutely stupid for having run the play.

You don't chalk up Carter not looking over his shoulder to coaching? Even when it's the coach who's given him the job... even when it's the coach who told him NOT to look over his shoulder... even when it's the gameplan and the COACHING that has allowed Carter to succeed??? I can't tell whether you just have a malicious hatred for Parcells, or are completely absent of your senses?

Emmitt's absence or not has very nearly nothing to do with the offensive success of the Cowboys. Are they running better than they did with him over the last couple years? Not significantly. Emmitt may be a shadow of his All-Pro self, but Hambrick has proven to be little improvement.

Galloway's health and Bryant's experience help, but aren't the complete reason. You conveniently leave out (again) their receiver with the most catches and TDs, and ignore the fullback who has as many catches as Galloway. Both were Parcells' pickups. No one wanted Glenn, and Jerry Jones would have let Anderson go to NE if Parcells wasn't barking in JJ's ear that they needed Richie Anderson.

Carter succeeds because the gameplan is suited to him, and he is versed better in it, and this isn't coaching. WTF?!!

Sometimes, Doug, you just make absolutely Little sense...

Dave