Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 02-13-2009, 11:47 PM   #1
Pyro
Sports Enthusiast

Pyro is on a distinguished road
Arrow Giants assign franchise tag to Jacobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPN
The Giants designated running back Brandon Jacobs as their franchise player on Friday.

The move will guarantee Jacobs, who was set to become a free agent on Feb. 27, $6.6 million for the 2009 season.

"With the deadline approaching it was the right business thing to do at this point, although we are hopeful to get a longer term deal hammered out in the near future," general manager Jerry Reese said. "I did speak to Brandon and we had a very good conversation today."
SOURCE: Click Here!

They'd be fools not to, Jacobs is their best back and maybe the strongest in the league. Earth, wind, and fire (at least I think that's what the trio of him, Ward, and Bradshaw is called) lives on!
Pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:19 AM   #2
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Oh well, so much for the Eagles signing Jacobs and radically altering the balance of power in the NFC East.

But G-d bless Mel Kiper: He's projecting Chris Wells to the Eagles in the draft!
Old 02-14-2009, 01:37 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I said before the Eagles were not going to make a run at Jacobs because he was going to command too much money for someone who would only get the ball 10 times a game.

I am not a big fan of Chris Wells at all. He has the skillset the Eagles need but it seemed like he was always hurt at OSU and not willing to play through nagging injuries. I would not be surprised if he busts in the NFL because of it.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:05 AM   #4
Anthony

Well I know exactly how this is going to turn out: Either Wells will already have been taken by the time the Eagles pick, or they will pass on him, hoping to snag Rashad Jennings in Round 3. Then Jennings will get picked about four or five spots before the Eagles pick in the third round, after which they will try to fall back on Rodney Ferguson from New Mexico - but then, not wanting to be accused of "reaching" by the usual bunch of nerds, they won't pick him in the sixth round because the aforementioned cretins will insist that Ferguson has only "seventh-round" talent, and he'll be taken before their seventh-round pick comes along.

So come the fall, 3rd and inches will still be a passing down in Philadelphia, Akers will lead the league in 18-yard field goals, and we can look forward to the Eagles rushing for like 24 yards in every game where they have to face a 3-4 team.

Meanwhile, Jacobs may be getting stuck with a double lemon: What if his buddy Burress either gets released by the Giants, or does end up going to prison?

In that case, everybody loses - except maybe Dallas.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Well there is a very real possibility that Wells is gone by the time the Eagles pick. With Cadillac's career in limbo yet again and the Chargers deciding what to do with LT Wells could easily end up there before Philly even gets a shot at him.

A lot depends on what the Giants do to potentially replace Burress there has been a lot of talk that they are going to make a serious run at Boldin.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:44 PM   #6
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I'm just happy we ended up talking about the Eagles again.

buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:20 AM   #7
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
A lot depends on what the Giants do to potentially replace Burress there has been a lot of talk that they are going to make a serious run at Boldin.

They can have Boldin. If it waddles like a cancer and quacks like a cancer ...
Old 02-17-2009, 09:14 AM   #8
Montrovant
Hatecarver

Montrovant is on a distinguished road

I want to be sure I'm clear about this Anthony.....Boldin is a cancer but you have defended T.O.?
Montrovant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:48 AM   #9
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrovant View Post
I want to be sure I'm clear about this Anthony.....Boldin is a cancer but you have defended T.O.?

Knew someone here would respond with something like that; I only thought it would be buckeyefan!