Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 09-02-2004, 01:26 PM   #1
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Default Alabama's Contribution to Professional Sports

Wasn't sure where to post this. I wrote this a couple of years ago, but have updated it.

The state of Alabama has a population of around 4,447,100(2000 cenus) inhabitants. Though a small state in population, Alabama is well known for a lot of different things, especially its contribution of great athletes to professional sports

The state of Alabama is also well known for its antebellum homes dating back to the Civil War era, our beautiful beaches, great fishing, good- looking women, good manners, green gardens, and shipbuilding.

As I stated earlier, we are known for contributing some great athletes to professional sports year after year, especially to MLB and the NFL. We have also contributed to the NBA, to golf, boxing and track.

One of the most famous Alabamians we can boast about was the late great track star Jesse Owens, who won four gold medals in the 1936 Olympics in Berlin, Germany.

Facist dictator of Germany, Adolf Hitler was in attendance when Owens competed and won. This did not set too well with Hitler, who was a well known white supremist or racist.

Another great sports figure from Alabama was boxer Joe Louis. Originally from Lafayette, Alabama, Louis won the Heavyweight title in 1937 against James Braddock, knocking him out in the eighth round.

Louis defended his title 25 times with 20 KO's. Posting a career record of 68-3 with 54 KO's. He retired in March of 1949. What a champion.

Boxer Evander Holyfield from Atmore, Alabama was the only three time Heavyweight Champion of the world along with Muhammad Ali. But later Holyfield won it for the fourth time. What a great accomplishment.

A guy named Larry Nelson was Alabama's most famous golfer. He was from Fort Payne, Alabama. Nelson won three major tournaments on the PGA tour, winning the PGA championship twice(1981 and 1987) and the U.S. Open in 1983. He amassed 10 PGA tour victories in his career.

As you well know, the south is well known for its love of NASCAR. Just a bunch of good ole boys, most of which are from the south.

Bobby Allison and his son Davey Allison were both very popular race car drivers. Bobby had 84 wins in his career, which tied him for third on the all-time win list with Darrell Waltrip.

His son Davey won 19 Winston Cup races in his short career. Unfortunately, Davey Allison was killed in 1993 when his helicopter crashed at Talladega Superspeedway. What a loss.

Like I stated earlier, Alabama has produced a many great athletes to major league baseball.

I guess the most famous is Hank Aaron of Mobile, Alabama, who played most of his career with the Milwukee Braves and the Atlanta Braves.

Aaron ended up as the all-time homerun king, passing slugger Babe Ruth for most homeruns ever. Ruth hit 714 in his career and Aaron retired with 755. By the way, Aaron hit number 715 in April of 1974 to pass Ruth. Of course, he is in Baseball's Hall of Fame.

Another great baseball player from Alabama was outfielder Willie Mays, who played most of his career for the San Francisco Giants is also in the Hall of Fame. Mays was a great centerfielder and slugger. Mays is currently fourth in all-time homeruns. Barry Bonds just passed Mays this season. Mays had 660 career homeruns.

A big man named Willie McCovey, who is also from Mobile, was a first baseman for San Francisco for many years. He is in the Hall of Fame with 521 career homeruns. This guy hit some mammoth shots into the stands, on a regular basis.

Remember outfielder Billy Williams who played for the Chicago Cubs? Yes he's in the Hall of Fame too. Had a great career. He's originally from Whistler, Alabama.

In 1969 the New York Mets shocked the baseball world by winning the World Series against the heavily favored Baltimore Orioles. A player named Tommie Agee from Magnolia, Alabama played outfield for the Mets in that series. His teammate outfielder Cleon Jones was also from Alabama.

Jones was an All-Star in 1969, while batting .340 for the season. He batted .429 against the Atlanta Braves in the NL chamionship series, in which the Mets swept the Braves in three games.

My hometown of Mobile had another great outfielder with an impressive career in the major leagues. His name was Amos Otis. Otis played for the Kansas City Royals most of his career. He ended his career in 1984 with 2,020 career hits.

Otis played in the 1980 World Series against the Philadelphia Phillies, but his team lost. Batting .478 in that series, he also hit three homeruns. He was also an All-Star five times during his 17 year career.

Pitcher Don Sutton from Clio, Alabama is in the Hall of Fame. Sutton pitched for the Los Angeles Dodgers most of his career and posted 324 career wins. He also had 3,574 career strikeouts. Sutton pitched in four World Series.

Another great pitcher from Alabama was Satchel Paige. The bad thing about Paige was he spent most of his time in the old Negro leagues. Playing in the Negro leagues wasn't the bad thing, but not being able to play in major league baseball while he was in his prime, was a crime. This man could pitch. What a waste of this man's talents, regarding the great years he could have had in the majors.

Paige finally made his debut in the major leagues at the ripe old age of 42. He signed with the Cleveland Indians, becoming the oldest rookie in major league history. He helped Cleveland win the pennant that year. At the age of 46, he was the oldest player to be selected to the All-Star game.

Paige was selected to the Hall of Fame in 1971. Finally getting recognition for his great ability.

One more good pitcher from Alabama was Jimmy Key. He spent most of his career with the Toronto Bluejays. Around 11 years. He appeared in four league championships.

In the 1992 World Series against the Atlanta Braves, Key went 2-0 with an ERA of 1.00.

Key later played for the New York Yankees. In 1993 he went 18-6 for them. In 1994 he led the majors with 17 wins.

He was the only pitcher in the major leagues to record 12 victories per season from 1985 to 1994. Key was named Sporting News A.L. Pitcher of the Year in 1987 and 1994.

Of course, there are several more good players that played in the major leagues from Alabama and some are still playing today like Juan Pierre, outfielder for the Florida Marlins. Pierre is from Mobile, Alabama.

Also talented pitcher Jake Peavy, who plays for the San Diego Padres. Boy he has a great career in front of him.

As for the NFL, I think one of the most famous football players from Alabama was quarterback Bart Starr, who played for the Green Bay Packers and legendary coach Vince Lombardi. Starr won two Super Bowls in his career. That being Super Bowl I and II. He was MVP of both Super Bowls. He's also a great human being.

Starr is enshrined in the NFL Hall of Fame.

How about Kenny "the snake" Stabler who played mainly for the Oakland Raiders? Boy could he scramble when necessary. He was a lefty too, and his could zip that ball. He helped lead the Raiders to a Super Bowl title in 1976 against the Minnesota Vikings. Oakland won 32-14.

Stabler is currently a radio announcer for the Alabama Crimson Tide.

Richard Todd who quarterbacked for the New York Jets in the 1970's was a pretty good player. Todd attended Davidson high school here in Mobile, and played his college ball for coach Paul "Bear" Bryant and the University of Alabama.

One of the most exciting backs in the game of football in the 80's was Bo Jackson, who played his college football for Auburn University. This guy was loaded with talent. I saw him play in the 1985 Senior Bowl here in Mobile, Alabama. What a great performance.

Jackson played baseball and football. He played as an outfielder for the Kansas City Royals, the Chicago White Sox, and the Califonia Angels in the majors. He played for the Oakland Raiders in football.

Jackson career was ended prematurely by an hip injury.

Jackson was selected to the MLB All-Star game in 1989 as a Kansas City Royals player. He was selected as the MVP of that game. Jackson was also a Pro Bowler in the NFL, but couldn't play due to his hip injury.

I'm sure all you Cleveland Brown fans have heard of Ozzie Newsome. Newsome was a Hall of Fame tight end. One of the best in the history of the game. Newsome also played for Bear Bryant and the Alabama Crimson Tide.

Newsome later became general manager of the Baltimore Ravens. He helped lead them to a Super Bowl title in 1991. He is a classy guy.

Another great Hall of Famer from Alabama was receiver John Stallworth, who played for those great Pittsburgh Steelers teams of the 1970's. Hall of Fame quarterback Terry Bradshaw was the quarterback in those successful years.

Stallworth played 14 years in the NFL. Playing in four Super Bowls and winning all four.

One of the greatest linebackers in NFL history was Lee Roy Jordan of the Dallas Cowboys. Boy he was tough. Jordan was born in Excel, Alabama.

He played his college ball for the Crimson Tide. While playing for Alabama the team went 29-2-2. Also won a national title.

Jordan went on to have a very successful career with the Cowboys, playing from 1963 to 1976. He was a five time Pro-Bowler.

Presently in the NFL, there are many good players from Alabama contributing for several different teams. One is offensive tackle Chris Samuels of the Washington Redskins. Samuuels is from my hometown of Mobile and has a bright future ahead of him.

Another is rookie quarterback Philip Rivers of the San Diego Chargers, who is an Alabama native. What a fine college career he had at North Carolina St. He has a lot of promise for the future.

As for the NBA, Charles "the fastest mouth in the south" Barkley is about the most famous baskeball athlete from Alabama. In 1996 he became the only fourth player in NBA history to total at least 20,000 points, 10,000 rebounds and 3,500 assists. He is also listed as one of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History.

Barkley played his college ball here in Alabama at Auburn. He played for the Philadelphia 76ers, the Phoenix Suns and the Houston Rockets. Had a great career and does a lot of broadcasting now.

NBA's Latrell Sprewell is also from Alabama. He is currently playing for the Minnesota Timberwolves. Sprewell has had a controversial career, including being accused of choking one of his past coaches. I won't get into that. HAHA.

I closing, it really brought me a lot of joy to list these great athletes from Alabama. Alabama has certainly done its part in providing great talent to professional sports. I'm proud of my state and its great athletes. See how many great athletes you can name from your state.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:59 PM   #2
gconnhokiebird
age 13- itallion stallion

gconnhokiebird is on a distinguished road

How long did that take you? you sound like u might know a little about boxing, or maybe just bama boxing. i need somebody who knows their stuff
gconnhokiebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 12:37 AM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Good stuff, Keith. You definitely have a passion for 'Bama and its sports.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 03:01 PM   #4
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

Thanks Marc. I know quite a bit about boxing, especially the old days of Foreman, Frazier, Cooney and Ali.
Old 09-04-2004, 04:50 PM   #5
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Keith, you certainly do have the ability to bring thoughts to print. Nice work.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 12:02 AM   #6
ESP0704
All-Star Player

ESP0704 is on a distinguished road

Let's see:
Hack Wilson, the major league single-season RBI record holder, and 1970s-era slugger Richie Allen, are both from Wampum, a town of fewer than 1,000 people just down the road from where I live.
Going to a 15-mile radius from my home, you get World Series-winning manager Chuck Tanner, Joe Namath, Tony Dorsett, Athens Games silver medalist Lauryn Williams and Mike Ditka.
At 30 miles (which includes Pittsburgh), there's 1996 gold medalist Rod White, John Unitas, Dan Marino, Honus Wagner, LaVar Arrington, Marc Bulger, 1940s-era boxer Billy Conn (who almost beat Joe Louis in a 1941 bout in spite of being a light-heavy fighting in the heavyweight division), former IBF lightweight champ Paul Spadafora, and probably many more who have slipped my mind.
Go out 60 miles, which includes my hometown of Ruffs Dale, Pa. and you get fellow Southmoreland High School alums Russ Grimm (one of the original Hogs and current Steelers' offensive line coach) and Dave Trout, the USFL's all-time leading scorer. There's also Joe Montana, George Blanda, 1948 Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Lujack, former Chicago Bear Johnny Lujack and 1936 Olympic 800 meter gold medalist John Woodruff.
Oh, cripes. There are probably dozens more, but they've slipped my mind. But I think the relevant population (in the southwest corner of Pennsylvania) is fewer than 4 million.
Still, Bama, your list is impressive. And since Namath did play his college ball at Alabama, feel free to claim him as your own, as well.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:04 AM   #7
ESP0704
All-Star Player

ESP0704 is on a distinguished road
Talking

Frazier, Cooney and Ali the old days of boxing. Thanks, bama. Why don't you just ship me off to the senior citizens' home now!
I remember watching those guys and I'm only 39, for heaven's sake!
Old 09-06-2004, 02:57 AM   #8
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

It's always fascinated me the qb's from southwest PA, the shear number and greatness.

On to Ohio, my home state...

From the Youngstown area...

1.Ray " Boom Boom " Mancini...boxing champ from early 80s
2.Korey Stringer...Ohio State and Vikings
3.Brad Smith....current Missouri QB
4.Josh Swogger...current Wash St. QB
5.Walter Reyes...led Big East in rushing last season
6.Bernie Kosar...Browns QB from the 80s
7.Maurice Clarett... ( for better or worse )
8.Michael Zordich...Penn St. All American in football
9.Ron Jaworski " Jaws"... QB led Youngstown St. to D2 title in 78
10.Paul Maguire...AFL punter...along with Jaws, both on ESPN
11.Jeff Wilkins...NFL Rams kicker

Coaching fame from Youngstown area...
12.Bob Stoops
13.Mike Stoops
14.Mark Stoops
15.Lou Holtz
16.Bo Pellini
17.D coordinator for NFL Panthers, can't think of name right now
18.Jim Tressel- coached in Youngstown, originally from somewhere else in Ohio
19. Don Beede- invented the yellow penalty flag...fascinating stuff

I proably scanned out around 20 miles there from Y-town to get that list. Proably a population of about oh...625,000 tops. I'm missing alot of guys, but it's late...LOL.

Other notables from beyond my backyard in the state of Ohio...

1. Cy Young
2. Jack Nicklaus
3. Ty Cobb
4. Bob Feller
5. Pete Rose ( along with Cobb, that's alot of hits from the bats of Ohioians )
6. Archie Griffin...aka...God
7. Rollie Fingers
8. Woody Hayes...aka...The Master
9. Bill Mazeroski ( your welcome Pirate fans )
10. Phil and Joe Niekro
11. Mike Schmidt ( for my brother, both are grads of Ohio U. )

Pretty much think of all the the NFL talent to come out of Ohio State in the last 15 years, and a vast majority of those guys are Ohioians.

Many more...Jesse Owens is from Alabama, but he's a Buckeye for life Bama, just remember that...LOL.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 12:49 PM   #9
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

Hey I'm 48 years old. Ugh! Thanks Catman.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:51 PM   #10
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

Now be sure and list only people that are natives of your state. Must have been born in your state.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:11 PM   #11
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, all my guys are natives of Ohio. I'm just saying that Jesse Owens is proably identified with Ohio State just as much as Bama, esp. after he dominated the Big Ten in track and field before the Berlin Olympics.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:53 PM   #12
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

Good point Buck.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:39 PM   #13
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

The one and only Evel Kenievel is from Butte, MT.

Butte, MT: Home of Evel and one of the craziest St. Patrick's Day's in the West (2 years and counting for me )
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 12:49 AM   #14
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

That is pretty cool, Evel Kenievel. Montana WINS !...LOL