Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 09-07-2004, 12:44 AM   #1
savebykabi
Grizzled Veteran

savebykabi is on a distinguished road
Default Bobby Bowden's grandson killed

here's the story:

TALLAHASSEE - Bowden Madden, 15, one of Florida State football coach Bobby Bowden's 21 grandchildren, was killed instantly Monday afternoon in an auto accident attributed to Hurricane Frances.
Madden died along with his father, John Allen Madden, when their car collided with a utility services truck on its way to help restore power in Florida that was knocked out by the storm.

John Madden, 45, was an offensive lineman under Bowden at FSU from 1978 to 1981. He married Bowden's oldest child, Ginger, and the two divorced in January after 22 years together. John Madden was not related to the current ABC-TV football analyst and former Oakland Raider coach with the same name.

According to the Florida Highway Patrol, Madden and his son were passing a van on rain-slicked Interstate 10 near Quincy, about 25 miles west of Tallahassee, when the two vehicles came into contact.

The impact sent both cars through the median and into oncoming traffic. The van veered into the woods and husband and wife Larry and Margaret Maines suffered minor injuries that did not require hospitalization.

The side of Madden's car was struck by the front of the utility services truck, killing the Maddens on impact, the FHP said. Truck driver Danny Headley was not injured.

Bobby Bowden was not available for comment following the news and did not attend an indoor team practice Monday. Funeral arrangements for the Maddens, who lived in Fort Walton Beach, are not expected to be completed until later in the week.

FSU is scheduled to open its 2004 season on Friday at Miami in a game that was supposed to take place Monday night before being postponed due to the hurricane.

``I know I speak for the entire FSU family when I say our hearts are broken by the news of the tragic deaths of John and Bowden Madden. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Ginger, Bobby and Ann, and the entire Bowden family,'' FSU athletic director Dave Hart Jr. said in a statement released by the school.

``Words can't express the grieving I know the Bowdens are going through. Bobby has been a pillar of strength and faith to his players and he'll draw on that same strength through this tragedy.`

My thoughts are with the Bowden family. I think everyone will understand if he misses the game.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:46 AM   #2
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Life's a b_tch.....sad news...
Old 09-07-2004, 12:49 AM   #3
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I'm not quite sure how this is " hurricane related", being that is was a car crash. Perhaps if the road conditions were bad, then I could see that, but just because you were helping restore power means you died in a " hurricane related " accident. Kind of misleading there, but I don't know the whole story.

Not sure why this is news that would interest anyone.

As for Bowden missing the game, I don't think so. He doesn't strike me as the kind of person who would do that.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 10:11 PM   #4
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

tigereyes33 is on a distinguished road

Sorry Bowden family, but really, why is this such a huge headline? I've had relatives die, and nobody outside of my family gives a damn. So now, since they are distantly related to a football coach it is supposed to be felt by everyone. This kind of stuff just needs to be left alone by the press.
tigereyes33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 11:52 PM   #5
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

33, 78, others:

Have you learned nothing from the 25th Anniversary of ESPN?
EVERYTHING remotely related to a sports personality, especially one with whom Nike, McDonalds, Reebok or Gatorade has a contract, is NEWS.

Meanwhile, it was his frickin' grandson! Why wouldn't he attend the funeral?

And, 33... when you become the 30-odd year tenured head coach at a major university with more than just a modicum of success and a relative of yours dies, it'll be broadcast.

In the meantime, let us know, and we'll console you with booming chants of "Roll Tide!"

Dave