Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > Site Feedback

Old 12-24-2004, 03:31 AM   #1
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Question Would Something Like This Be Possible?

Some message boards have a feature known as an "Ignored Users List." This allows someone to block out any posts made by those that have been added to the list. The user would simply go into their Control Panel, click onto a link, and type in the user name of the person whose posts they don't want to see.

This tool could be very valuable in preventing "flame-fests" from breaking out.
One of our political parties doesn't know the difference between non-sectarianism and secularism, while the other doesn't know the difference between individualism and selfishness. And you have to ask why there are so many independents?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 06:49 AM   #2
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Don't we already have that choice???...

The only thing I've found with that feature is that without the "ignoreds" post, following posts that refer to said post are sometimes confusing.

But it's the responsibility of one of the 2 arguing parties to ignore the other initially which of course doesn't usually happen anyway....lol Plus someone who refuses to "take the bait" doesn't need to use an ignore option, it's a freedom that's sometimes tough to use but just a matter of.....simply refusing to answer an aggressive post......
Old 12-25-2004, 02:15 AM   #3
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

That option is available here on SC.

Basically the ignored person's post will just show up as "this person posted. click here to read it"
Because if they are contributing to the conversation, their post may be relevant and you may want to check it out on a case-by-case basis.

But overall, if someone really gets under your skin and provokes you on a consistent basis- it's a great tool to use to avoid escalated conflicts.
I had to use it once on a certain Ohio state fan.
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 02:52 AM   #4
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Shawndo
That option is available here on SC.

a great tool to use to avoid escalated conflicts.
I had to use it once on a certain Ohio state fan.
Well, that narrows it down to four or five of us. 'Cause Buckeye Nation CANNOT BE STOPPED! Today SC, tomorrow the word!!

Um, carry on....

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 06:54 AM   #5
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

My bad! I was under the impression that the "Ignore List" only applied to ignoring someone's Private Messages.

Awesome! Next time we have a problem between two posters who are "slugging it out," one of us can suggest they use this feature as an alternative to making further fools of themselves.
One of our political parties doesn't know the difference between non-sectarianism and secularism, while the other doesn't know the difference between individualism and selfishness. And you have to ask why there are so many independents?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 11:20 AM   #6
MaddEnemy
Always next year

MaddEnemy is on a distinguished road

Is it just as easy to just not read the post?

Just my thought.

Last edited by MaddEnemy; 12-25-2004 at 11:24 AM.
MaddEnemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 03:49 AM   #7
dirtywhiteboy
Mr. Cub

dirtywhiteboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony

Awesome! Next time we have a problem between two posters who are "slugging it out," one of us can suggest they use this feature as an alternative to making further fools of themselves. [/B]
Since when is heated conversation a negative thing? It seems like every time a couple guys get really passionate about something, and go back and forth, some MOD goes prematurely OVERBOARD and ends the thread.
Merely exchanging ideas is really boring. Sports is ABOUT passion. Let people play.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:39 PM   #8
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by dirtywhiteboy
Since when is heated conversation a negative thing? It seems like every time a couple guys get really passionate about something, and go back and forth, some MOD goes prematurely OVERBOARD and ends the thread.
Merely exchanging ideas is really boring. Sports is ABOUT passion. Let people play.
That's your opinion, but it's misguided. I love heated debates, you're right that they're great and really bring out the passion in people. However, we draw the line when things turn personal, debates go in circles, or other negative actions occur. Sometimes, it's better to slightly prematurely close a thread than let it go too long and let things get out of hand. A lot of times, you can see a thread is going downhill and it's best to stop it.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 11:01 PM   #9
MaddEnemy
Always next year

MaddEnemy is on a distinguished road

Both you make good points, I think letting it go for a bit is ok until name calling or threats are used.
MaddEnemy is offline   Reply With Quote