Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 07-14-2005, 02:00 AM   #1
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

Clipps is on a distinguished road
Default Clippers take one giant step forward. Cuttino Mobley will be a Clipper

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...ck=1&cset=true

I feel like playing Today Was a Good Day from ice-Cube.

Wow, it's unbelievable.

the web, especially Clippertalk.cjb.net. Clipper fans are very excited. Mobley has agreed to a 5 year/42 million dollor deal with the Clippers. It gives the Clippers much needed help at shooting guard, and with Mobley's shooting ability, it keeps pests away from Elton Brand so he will now operate more easily inside, it will keep the zone defense away from the Clippers, making it easier for Corey Maggette to attack the basket and Shaun Livingston get to the midrange area where he does most of his damage.

But best of all, the Clippers as ownership stand point has finally went out and got themselves a freeagent outside of the orginazation.

I kinda believe the Clippers overpaid Mobley just a bit. I think a 36 million dollor contract for 5 years would be more apropriate for a player like mobley, especially at his age. But because he got overpaid slightly, it shows that the Clippers are willing to spend a little bit more money than usual in order to get a winning team. And with Mobley, the Clippers probably have one of the most solid starting line-ups in the league.

Don't think the Clippers are done yet,after signing Mobley, the Clippers will still have the flexibility to sign other players to boost up their semi weak bench. they have been going after Shareef Abder-Rahim, and arelooking to bring back Marko Jaric and Zeljko ReBraca. In some rumors say that Donyel Marshel is also on their radar. SAR would give the Clippers what Antonio McDyess is giving to the Pistons, but i would rather see the Clippers go after Marshell instead because he can shoot 3s and even though the Clippers now have Mobley, the Clips can use another shooter. And the Clippers are more in need of a backup SF than a backup PF. but I would be happy with either one. Clippers have also been looking at Bonzi Wells who can really provide spark off the bench, but i would rather the Clippers not sign Bonzi Wells. He's too much of a headcase for the Clippers, who have assembled a team of great NBA citizens.
*****pass me the bottle and fill the glass up
Clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 01:18 PM   #2
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

Very strong signing for the Clippers. In the process, they totally f'd over the Lakers. How? Well, Washington wouldn't be asking for Caron Butler if Mobley was still on the table. And now, the Lakers are taking on the complete and utter garbage that is Kwame Brown. I think I might kill someone.
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 01:33 PM   #3
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

hmm, I don't mind making another bet with Shawndo. The Lakers will look ugly with a starting line-up of Mihm, Kwame, Odumb, Kobe and probably Tierre Brown. and a bench of Andrew Bynum(lakers would have been better off with Chris Taft), who in my opinion will be the second coming of Michael Olowokandi. The Lakers bench is atrocious.

But looking at the Clippers starting line-up and bench(hopefully if the Clippers pick up SAR or Marshell), the Clippers are deep. Livy, Mobley, Maggette, Brand, and Kaman, with Rebraca, Jaric, Ross, and hopefully SAR or Marshell coming off the bench.

Damn, I see a 50 win season from the Clippers as well as a 50 loss season from the Lakers. Mitch Kupchak needs to be fired, and i mean literally fired.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:39 PM   #4
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road

I was interested to see if the Clippers would try to find a replacement for Simmons right away, or if they'd go the usual Clip rout and do nothing. It's awesome to see they're committed to win.

Mobley might actually bring more than Simmons. He's got that long game going as you mentioned, Clipps. Plus, he brings a lot of vocal fire, something that young team needs. He's also a pretty servicable defender. Good pick-up.

Blog
190 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 04:27 PM   #5
JayRedd
All-Star Player

JayRedd is on a distinguished road

Mobley will be great for the Clipps. He'll be able to bring the ball up sometimes and take the pressure of the youngin Livingston. Will also allow Livingston to post up smaller guards and utilize that mismatch (assuming he can play w/ his back to the basket at all). I like Abdur Rahiem better than Marshall, as Brand is all they have down low. Shareef seems like he's never lived up to the early hype he had (mostly due to injuries) so giving him the chance to be 2nd banana down low might help him find his groove again. Or at least crash the weakside boards and have lesser forwards guarding him. Props to the Clipp mgmt for finally trying to help out the team with some signings. Hopefully, this is not a sign of an ensuing apocalypse.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:36 PM   #6
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

Actually, Shareef has been a terrific player all throughout his career. The reason it seems like he hasn't lived up to the hype is because he's always played for horrible teams.
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 05:42 PM   #7
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by #99
Actually, Shareef has been a terrific player all throughout his career. The reason it seems like he hasn't lived up to the hype is because he's always played for horrible teams.
I agree completely. A lot of people are quick to criticize 'Reef, but you gotta look at his numbers. He's put up 20 a game throughout his career, and he's still suprisingly young (29) for being a ten-year vet. A frontcourt with Brand and Rahim could easily be one of the five best in the Western Conference.

Blog
190 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 09:40 PM   #8
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Clipps
hmm, I don't mind making another bet with Shawndo. .
Congratulations on the Mobley acquisition. I was quite impressed with "The Cat" when I saw him play up here in Sacramento.

Another bet, eh? $20 on the better LA regular season record? Hmmm... let me think about it. I wanna see who we get at the point and then kind of get a feeling about it and then we will see... fair enough?
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 10:57 PM   #9
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
But because he got overpaid slightly, it shows that the Clippers are willing to spend a little bit more money than usual in order to get a winning team.
Ah, gotta love the positive spin. You should work for a PR firm.

But I've got news for you: all is not well. The problem the Clippers have is their drafting SUCKS. From a newsletter a friend of mine writes, "The Amico Report":
Quote:
ē Thereís a reason the Clippers are in the lottery every year. The latest example was their drafting of someone called Yaroslav Korolev with the No. 12 pick. This kid (and I do mean kid) hasnít even shown any potential in Europe. Heís not especially quick, he canít shoot particularly well, he has a reputation of being a horrible defender, and most scouts question his passion.

ē Meanwhile, the Grizzlies have had a history of nabbing big-name college players under general manager Jerry West. Hakim Warrick (Syracuse) and second-rounder Lawrence Roberts (Mississippi State) are the latest examples. Iím guessing itís a big reason why this team has risen from basketballís ashes to make the playoffs in each of the last two seasons -- and why teams like the Clippers never get any better.
I totally agree.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 11:00 PM   #10
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

Whether we make anoter bet or not, we shoult still make another LA Sapremacy thread again. That was fun. For a worthless Clipper/Laker battle between 2 lottery teams, it actually had a lot of posts. I doubt it but I hope Kwame Brown becomes like Jermain O'neal going from portland to indiana because it will be boring if the Clippers go on to hopefully 50 wins and the Lakers are sucking ass with OlowoKwame.

And on Mobley, I'm glad he's on the Clippers. Mobley broke our hearts in 2 meetings between the Clippers and Kings. those 2 games were close games and Mobley was the one who stabbed us in the heart with crucial plays down the stretch. Now, hopefuly Mobley will do that with the Clippers instead of against them.

Lakers need a point guard desperately. Unless you want Tierre as you're starting PG.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:23 PM   #11
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by Clipps
Whether we make anoter bet or not, we shoult still make another LA Sapremacy thread again. That was fun.
You got it man We will definitely have a return of that thread next season!

It's too bad for Sacramento that they couldn't jive with Mobley; their loss, IMO. Mobley was definitely a spark on offense and I loved his spirited play.

He got a few too many technicals though, and fines for speaking against the refs, which I think played into the Kings' decision to let him go. Plus, I think it was really really difficult for the team to get over the loss of Doug Christie and impossible for Cuttino to fill that particular void in the team chemistry.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:31 PM   #12
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I'm not too high on Mobley. I could be wrong, but I seem to think of him as getting his stats off of Francis' play when they were running in Houston. Having said that, the Clippers should still be vastly superior to the Lakers despite this move. Not sure if that means anything, but there ya go.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 11:35 PM   #13
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

well if I decide to bet with Clipps, I will offer you the same bet, buckeye... if you are completely sure the Clippers should be vastly superior to the Lakers, then that should be an easy $20 for you.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:45 AM   #14
JayRedd
All-Star Player

JayRedd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by buckeyefan78
I'm not too high on Mobley. I could be wrong, but I seem to think of him as getting his stats off of Francis' play when they were running in Houston. Having said that, the Clippers should still be vastly superior to the Lakers despite this move. Not sure if that means anything, but there ya go.
Couldn't disagree more. How's Francis doing without Mobley now? I think he's been pretty much overrated since he got to the League and sincerely hope the days of people referring to him as Stevie "Franchise" come to an immediate and abrupt halt. If he's your "Franchise" you will be seeing ping-pong balls in your future.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:23 PM   #15
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

Steve Francis is very overrated. Both him and Marbury. No matter what heppens, their teams are always gunna suck because they are too selfish and too stuckup. The only way they would become winners is if they take the second fiddle behind a Tim Duncan, Shaq, Kevin Garnet, etc. type of player. But Marbury and Francis both are just too egotistic to take second fiddle.

It was a great move by the Clippers. And I doubt it, but if the Clippers sign Shareef Abdur-Rahim or Donyel Marshel, you got one very tough,deep Clipper team.