Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

View Poll Results: Which LA Team will finish with a better win/loss record?
Los Angeles Clippers 6 46.15%
Los Angeles Lakers 7 53.85%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2005, 12:02 AM   #1
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

Clipps is on a distinguished road
Default 2nd Annual Battle of LA Supremacy: Clippers vs Lakers

These boards have changed since the last time I posted on a regular basis. I like it. Hey Shawn. I don't know if you want to make this a bet, but it was fun having this thread last year. Even though both teams missed the playoffs, it was fun following these 2 teams and it was a close battle. Last season, the Clippers won the the LA Battle by finishing with a better record than the Lakers for the first time in a long time. Lakers finished 34-48 and the Clippers finished 37-35. Not too impressive by both teams, but this is a new season with different looking teams. The Lakers made some moves this year by letting Brian Grant go and also gambling Caron Butler and Chucky Atkins for Kwame Brown and drafted a teenager in the draft named Andrew Bynum. I don't expect much out of him this season, but in 3 years under Kareem, this kid will be a nice player to have. Lets atleast say that he's gotten alot smarter since his MySpace days. The Clippers, unfortunately, lost Bobby Simmons to Milwaukee. but not to worry. For once, the Clippers actually had some backup plans and signed veteran guard, Cuttino Mobley, to help fill in some gaps the Clippers had last season with outside shooting, perimeter defense, and veteran leadership. To go along with Mobley, the Clippers traded Marko Jaric and Lionel Chalmers for Sam Cassell, who along with Mobley, upgrades the Clippers backcourt majorly. Like the Lakers, the Clippers also drafted a young teenager, except he's from Russia in Yaroslav Korolev as well as drafting 4 year Duke Blue Devil, Daniel Ewing in the second roung. Like Andrew Bynum, Yaroslav has a great deal of talent, but is far too young and is very raw and hs a bright future ahead of him. They also boosted up the bench by signing Walter McCarty, Rodney White, and James Singleton.

Difference between this season and last season, last season, I was doubtful about the Clippers finishing ahead of the Lakers in the standings. This year is different. I am confident that the Clips will win the Pacific Division, although, I won't put any money on that. But like everyone says, they are still the Clippers. The Lakers, imo will be better than they were last season. They will fight for the last 2 or 3 playoff spots. I will never count a team coached by Jackson out of the playoffs. Maybe he'll do something with Kwame and Odom. They don't look as talented as last year, but the Lakers definetly look more balanced out with Odom finally playing SF again.

Clippers prediction: 52-30 (division leaders)
Lakers prediction: 45-37 (behind the Clippers and Kings)
*****pass me the bottle and fill the glass up
Clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 01:50 PM   #2
ManyOrtiz
Sports Enthusiast

ManyOrtiz is on a distinguished road

I think the clips will beat the Lakers this year. However I think the clips will be behind both the Kings and the warriors. I know everyone is jumping on that bandwagon, but I really feel like they are the team to take this division.
ManyOrtiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 04:27 PM   #3
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Clippers leading the division over the Kings? Don't see that one happening. But as for the L.A. teams, I think the Lakers will have a better season.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 11:31 PM   #4
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Clips, did Shawn ever send you the money from last year's bet?

I am picking the Lakers to finish over the Clippers, and enter the playoffs as a low seed in the West. I think having Phil back elevates them. It's time for him to prove himself as a great coach without M.J. and Shaq. Should be interesting!
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 08:13 PM   #5
El Jefe
Philosopher of Sport

El Jefe is on a distinguished road

The Clippers winning the Pacific? Wow...that's bold man.

How you can't even give the Warriors any credit to finish above the Clips, Kings, or Lakers is beyond me.

Don't be surprised if Golden State stays healthy and steals the Pacific. The Baron should return to his MVP-style of play back on the west coast.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:14 PM   #6
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

Yes. Shawn did send my the 20 dollors. It is well spent by now. I am confident this season. With Amare Stoudemire injured, the Clippers have the most talented roster in the Pacific. And are the only team in the Pacific that i see winning 50 games or more. I don't believe in the Warrior hype. I just thought they had a good ending. Nothing special. The Clippers looked good at the end of the 00-01 season but it didn't make them a playoff team the year after. And don't count on Baron Davis to have a healthy season.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:11 PM   #7
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipps
Yes. Shawn did send my the 20 dollors. It is well spent by now. I am confident this season. With Amare Stoudemire injured, the Clippers have the most talented roster in the Pacific. And are the only team in the Pacific that i see winning 50 games or more. I don't believe in the Warrior hype. I just thought they had a good ending. Nothing special. The Clippers looked good at the end of the 00-01 season but it didn't make them a playoff team the year after. And don't count on Baron Davis to have a healthy season.
Most talented roster in the Pacific? I wouldn't go that far.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:25 AM   #8
El Jefe
Philosopher of Sport

El Jefe is on a distinguished road

I certainly feel I can count on the Baron's level of production more than you can count on Sam Cassell being a positive force on the Clips. I'll just sit back and watch his cancerous ways dissect what little team chemistry and bond the Clippers have. The combination of players on that roster just doesn't seem like one that will gel correctly to get them in the 50+ win range. Sam I Am doesn't bow down to anybody, let alone two guys like Maggette and Brand.

The Warriors, on the other hand, have shown the flash and style of basketball that made last year exciting. They can fly up and down the court with the best of them, and I feel that the Baron will have a great rebounding season with good health for most of the season. He's happy, has management's backing, and is more determined to be a leader than he has ever been...and certainly he has the capability of turning the Warriors into a playoff team. There's no denying that the season hinges on his health, and I feel we can get at least 65-70 games out of him this year...enough to pull out 45+ wins.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:07 PM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Keep in mind that a lot of Baron's 'health issues' were due in large part to the fact that he had wanted out of the Hornets organization for a couple of years and he started dogging his rehabe because the team wouldn't let him use his own trainer. Now that he is back in Cali, where he wanted to go, I expect we will see a whole new Baron Davis this season.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 02:14 PM   #10
JayRedd
All-Star Player

JayRedd is on a distinguished road

Two Words: Corey Maggette. The kid is gonna make the JUMP this year and start embarrassing defenders on the regular.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:55 PM   #11
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

I think Corey's scoring numbers will decrease a little bit. I think he'll average around 19 or 20 points, but his field goal percentage should be a lot better this year now that Mobley and Cassell will spread the defense and allow Maggette to convert more baskets when he gets fouled
Old 11-01-2005, 01:10 PM   #12
miaheatfan32
Rookie Player

miaheatfan32 is on a distinguished road

The Clips Are Always Under Estimated By People BECAUSE THE LAKERS ARE MORE POPULAR. But I Think Da Clips Will Be Better Than The Lakers And They Always Were Since Shaq Left
miaheatfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 05:23 PM   #13
JayRedd
All-Star Player

JayRedd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipps
I think Corey's scoring numbers will decrease a little bit. I think he'll average around 19 or 20 points, but his field goal percentage should be a lot better this year now that Mobley and Cassell will spread the defense and allow Maggette to convert more baskets when he gets fouled
I'm not talking about numbers. Scoring averages are rather overrated as barometers of value to a team in my opinion. Whether he averages 20 or 25 is not really relevent to me. And as you say, they have more weapons now, so it makes sense that he should get less shots and therefore, less points.

What I'm saying is that he's been improving each year he's been in the league and is now at the point where he's starting to understand the game and will now become that team's leader. Physically, he's a beast nowadays and his defense is vastly improved from just two years ago. He can score, shoot, pass, rebound and defend. His rebound and assist numbers have improved every year he's been in the league as have his scoring and minutes. He did have career lows in % from the field and 3Pts last year, but I think those will go back up to at least his career norms, because like you say, he has Cassell and Mobley to take those threes and won't need to force as many shots when the offense breaks down.

My main point is Maggette is going from Stud to Star this year. Key to the team.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:00 PM   #14
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

I definetly hope so. Maggette has a lot of work to do when it comes to his dicision makings. I think he would go on the top 5 list of most ill-advised shots taken per game.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:07 PM   #15
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaheatfan32
The Clips Are Always Under Estimated By People BECAUSE THE LAKERS ARE MORE POPULAR. But I Think Da Clips Will Be Better Than The Lakers And They Always Were Since Shaq Left
How exactly does one underestimate a team that gets in the playoffs about once ever seven or eight years? Granted the Lakers are more popular, but over the past 15 years how many times have the Clippers actually been within sniffing distance of the Lakers in the standings?
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote