Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 10-29-2005, 05:01 PM   #1
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough
Default 05/06 Hot Stove League Thread

This is just a generic thread to discuss the ongoings in this off seasons Hot Stove League. I'll start with a list of some of the major goings on to discuss:

-Joe Girardi is the new manager in South Florida taking the Marlins' job. It should be interesting to see how he fares as he has no minor league managerial experience and one year of MLB coaching experience. I still cannot help but wonder if Jim Tracy would have been the better fit here.

-Will Theo Epstein stay in Boston? I have heard on sportstalk radio that he wants a deal similar to the one Cashman just got and that the Sox are lowballing him offering him a salary under the MLB average for GMs. He has been a bit of a scapegoat for the Sox not making the necessary deals to get the Sox back to the Series this year. But, in his defense there really was not much to be had on the trade market to significantly upgrade their pitching. The Sox lacked a true ace this year and A. J. Burnett is not exactly an ace and I cannot blame him for not wanting to take Mike Lowell's boat anchor of a contract.

-The Dodgers' can Paul DePodesta as GM. What fiasco this franchise has become. They let him run Jim Tracy out of town who is widely regarded as a quality big league manager and now they are firing him as well. Do the Theo to LA rumors know come to the forefront?

-Man-Ram has asked to be traded again and reports earlier in the week had him wanting to play in either Cleveland or Anahiem next year. Problem being for the Sox is Manny is now a 10 and 5 guy which means he can veto any trade that comes about involving him and the Sox cannot just dump him to be rid of him once and for all.

-Where will Torii Hunter reside next year? Late season reports had him putting his residence in the twin cities on the market and telling his friends and family that his days with the Twins were over and he expected to be playing elsewhere next season. Early rumors had the Yankees offering a package highlighted by Robinson Cano for him.

-Leo Mazzone goes to Baltimore is perhaps the most intriguing development to-date. Does this signal the beginning of the end for the Braves? And, does this now put the O's back in the mix in the A. L. East? They have a couple of good young arms to build around in Erik Bedard and Daniel Cabrera and A. J. Burnett had expressed some interest in going to Baltimore during the season. Not to mention Mazzone could be a good reason for B. J. Ryan to stick around.

-Will anyone take a flyer on Sammy Sosa or Raffy for next season?
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 07:22 PM   #2
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

-i think Joe Girardi is a good fit for the Marlins. he is a younger guy who is running a pretty young team. their talent alone can get them into the postseason. McKeon just ruined their chemistry last season.

-the Red Sox need to pay Theo. he got them a ring and into the playoffs every year under his watch. pay him top dollar. what more could you have asked for him? if you told me that the Sox would have make it to the postseason without Schilling and Foulke almost all season I'd would have called you crazy.

-the Dodgers are pointing fingers at the wrong people for their bad season. the owner, Frank McCourt, needs to look into the mirror and open up his wallet if he wants results. he totally ripped that team apart letting Beltre, Finley, Core, Lo Duca, and Green all go. sure they didn't do much this season seperate but the 2004 Dodgers had a great chemistry and could have won the NL West in 05 easily.

-Manny is nuts. Boston needs to keep him. do whatever he wants. serve him dinner in the dugout in between innings. massage his feet. whatever. him and Ortiz are an epic duo that is key to any future the Red Sox are dreaming of.

-speaking of Boston perhaps Torii Hunter could play center for the Sox? the word is the Damon won't be around next year. Hunter is a great defender, hits for avg, and can steal a base. if it happens hopefully he doesnt rip his foot off like the last time he was in Fenway...

-i'd actually more intrested to see what happens to the Braves due to Mazzone's departure. will Bobby Cox have the magic left? the O's do have some good pitchers. Bruce Chen is a guy to look out for along w/ the guys who mentioned. he had some good stretches during the season and could find a more consistent rhythm w/ MLB's best pitching coach.

-Raffy has to be done, right? no one is going to want his guy in their clubhouse. Sosa will probably have one last run somewhere who is stupid enough to sign him. Tampa Bay would be by guess. depends on how much he really thinks someone will pay him to sneeze his way onto the DL.

Last edited by blackdogsong; 10-29-2005 at 07:31 PM.
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 08:02 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Actually, I think the Dodgers fingered the right guy here, unless McCourt has that much input into who DePodesta acquired. Since the middle of the '04 season he has made so many blunders to bring this franchise crashing into mediocrity. DePodesta clearly had no clue as to what he was doing running a franchise.

Bruce Chen has worked with Mazzone in the past and amounted to nothing when he came up with the Braves. He did okay as a reliever but stunk it up as a starter until he went to Philly and had mixed success with them. I don't know maybe he can figure it out this time around.

Hunter to Boston? It depends on what Boston is willing to part with to have him. Second Base seems to be high on the Twins priority list which is a position Boston has been alarmingly thin at in recent years. Given how underwhelming pitching looks to be via free agency this year the Sox may want to look into trading for some pitching rather than another CFer. Not to mention they need to figure out what to do with Manny. I don't know that they are going to have much of a choice as he is threatening not to show up for Spring Training if they don't move him.

My best guess is that Raffy is done and somebody will take a flyer on Sosa, though I doubt it will be Tampa Bay. They already have more OFers than they know what to do with right now with Baldelli, Huff, Crawford, Gathright, Gomes, and Hollins all pushing for playing time. That is not to mention Delmon Young at AAA who cannot stay down there forever. If anything the Rays need to move some of their OFers for some pitching help and not add an over-the-hill Sammy Sosa. He will stay in the AL and be somebody's DH next season.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:56 PM   #4
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

-cutting the payroll after the 04 season didn't help DePodesta.

-Chen has gotten a change to really show his stuff until his season. he tossed 197 innings this season- which is more then he's thrown in approx the past 4 seasons combined. he led the O's staff in ERA. second in K's and W's

-the Red Sox might need a CF and leadoff man now that Damon has filed for free agency. if Manny is serious this time about getting traded the Sox could aquire Hunter is a multiway deal.
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 03:08 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Well, Roger McDowell is the Braves new pitching coach:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2207938

I seriously have to wonder what the Braves saw in a guy whose Las Vegas staff posted a 6.21 ERA and allowed 196 homers in the Pacific Coast League last year. I would have thought the Braves would have looked for someone with more than just three years of minor league coaching to replace Mazzone given their place in the standings.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:47 PM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

In a stunning turn of events Theo Epstein resigns from the Red Sox so now they are looking for a new GM after being reported earlier in the day that he had come to an agreement to stay with the team:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2209574
Old 10-31-2005, 08:45 PM   #7
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

This would be a great opportunity for the Phillies to scoop up a premier GM in Epstein to start cleaning up Ed Wade's many blunders during his days in Philly.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:56 PM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

It would be except that most reports have Epstein taking a year off to figure out what his next move is going to be.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:00 AM   #9
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

I would like to see Theo Epstein at least check into the Dodgers' GM vacancy. He could be the guy to turn that club back into a winner, and soon.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 06:27 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Yeah, except for the part of the rub in Boston was Luchinno's big ego, penchant for meddling and Epstein's perception of lack of control and he would be running into a similar situation in LA where Tommy Lasorda supposedly has his finger in everything that goes on there.

I think it would be interesting if he took the D-Rays job. It would be neat to see what kind of wheeling and dealing he could do with the bevy of young studs the Rays have on offense.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:46 PM   #11
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

First trade of the offseason:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2213182

The Padres send Brian Lawrence to the Nationals for Vinny Castilla. I cannot help but wonder what the Pads want in a 38-year old whose career has been rather mediocre outside when not playing for the Rockies and Petco is the anti-Coors as far as hitting parks go. Does this spell the end of Sean Burroughs in San Diego?
Old 11-04-2005, 10:46 AM   #12
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Either that or they just gave up on Lawrence. That move surprised me as well.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 12:15 PM   #13
Titans100
Vince Young ROY

Titans100 is on a distinguished road

Latest rumors that I have heard on ESPN radio are that:

-The Angels are heavily seeking the services of Paul Konerko and the trade has finally been set up to acquire Manny Ramirez. It would be a three team trade envolving the Angels, Red Sox and Diamondbacks. I will try to relay the names involved.

-Epstein has rejected the Dodgers GM offer and any other offer coming his way.
Titans100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 02:21 PM   #14
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Default Vinny Castilla to San Diego

Castilla was traded to the Padres for some cash and pitcher Brian Lawrence.

I like Castilla-he may have one good year left in him.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:32 PM   #15
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

The rumored trade is supposedly Troy Glaus, Darin Erstad, and possibly Ervin Santana to Boston with Man-Ram going to the Angels and the D-Backs getting prospects back from the Sox.