Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 11-02-2005, 08:04 PM   #1
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

jhuerbin88 is on a distinguished road
Default Thank you Liberal Media

This just goes to prove my point that you can not get a fair and balanced newscast anywhere. Conservative or Liberal, the media is biased and some people need to realize that what you see on TV probably didn't happen that way. And where is the good news? You see people getting blamed for not taking care of people after Katrina, but you don't see the countless and many more on the news who rushed down there to help. WTF?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/11/...ent/index.html
Old 11-02-2005, 09:40 PM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I don't get how your link relates to your little rant here. How is a link of people's emails voicing their opinions of what the President should concentrate on to improve the country an overly biased and slanted article? Most of the issues listed there are very valid and given that his overall approval ratings have been steadily declining the past few months it is going to be tough to find people that think the state of this country is exactly where it needs to be. Most of the suggestions on their are saying bring the troops home and do something about the greedy bastards who are telling me that it is justifiable for me to still be paying over $2.50 for a gallon of gas when they are all reporting record profits this year.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:06 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

The media is definitely biased, just look at the racial overtones of the AP captions of looting vs. finding during Katrina. Fortunately, this is 2005 and we don't need to rely on traditional media anymore. The Internet and blogosphere is a revolution that is making newspapers and newscasts obsolete. If you don't like it, don't consume it.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:13 PM   #4
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

I agree with doublee. I am not seeing the connection between your post and the article you posted.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 09:08 AM   #5
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
The media is definitely biased, just look at the racial overtones of the AP captions of looting vs. finding during Katrina. Fortunately, this is 2005 and we don't need to rely on traditional media anymore. The Internet and blogosphere is a revolution that is making newspapers and newscasts obsolete. If you don't like it, don't consume it.
Unfortunately, I think the revolution you talk about is actually hurting news media even further. Everybody is looking to outscoop their rivals and sometimes the actual real news is getting forgotten behind sensational headlines. I think a few years back, claiming liberal media bias would fly. But now I believe 99% of those who scream about it, just do it as a way to deflect from their own political parties agenda. If you complain about the current administration, you're a whining liberal and if a news outlet prints an unfavorable story, it's liberal bias.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:43 AM   #6
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The media is definitely biased, just look at the racial overtones of the AP captions of looting vs. finding during Katrina.
Those captions were done by AP and UPI. I don't know which did which, but I remember thinking that was funny as hell until realizing that they were done by separate news organizations.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 01:55 PM   #7
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

One was AP and the other was Agence France Presse.

I love blogs and I'm happy they are the subject of so much attention. But their self-congratulatory proclomations that they're going to make newspapers and the mainstream media obselete is simply never going to happen, anymore than the internet was going to make books and magazines obsolete as many were predicting ten years ago.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 03:17 PM   #8
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I don't put a lot of trust in the liberals or conservatives.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:54 AM   #9
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

Hmmm... not seeing the connection between link and title either. One negative story and J's wondering where the good news is. Hey, it's probably in a separate story. NY Times has been publishing a monthly op-ed by some think tank guys that tries to put the Iraq War in perspective using statistics (our deaths, their deaths, civilian deaths, electricity, schools opened, areas under control, oil exports, etc.). If reading a negative story sets you off, maybe you should read another story.

On the "internet killed the radio star" theme, i don't think so. I'm a child of the internet age to some degree, but i think blogs are mostly boring and direct news feeds are unreliable. Unless i'm an outlier, people will continue flocking to what they consider "reliable" news sources (CNN, FoxNews, NY Times, Denver Post, whatever) even if those old sources are now increasingly visited via the internet. The newer internet sources (blogs, etc.) would have to be trustworthy and interesting to build themselves up. Slate and a few other sites have done this to a degree, but i think they might have peaked.
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 09:03 PM   #10
Marc
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Unfortunately, I think the revolution you talk about is actually hurting news media even further. Everybody is looking to outscoop their rivals and sometimes the actual real news is getting forgotten behind sensational headlines. I think a few years back, claiming liberal media bias would fly. But now I believe 99% of those who scream about it, just do it as a way to deflect from their own political parties agenda. If you complain about the current administration, you're a whining liberal and if a news outlet prints an unfavorable story, it's liberal bias.
I don't really see what you're arguing. Yes, the Internet is hurting traditional media and there isn't as much sensationalization in blogs as in newspapers, magazines, etc. The Internet breaks the news and calls people out when facts are inaccurate. Want proof? How about the whole Dan Rather scandal about Bush's service records? The Internet exposed the inaccuracies and that led to a major nationwide story.

As for Billy, I think making a generalization about all blogs isn't real accurate. You can't generalize something so broad. There are plenty of lame blogs, but there are also many extremely influencial blogs out there and people are increasingly shifting towards them as they want info immediately and want the ability to have their say. The key is people want media to be a two-way thing, and having some old geezer lecture you on archaic newscasts is getting hard to tolerate.

I feel particularly passionate and in the know about this as a web publisher myself and someone who reads nearly 100 blogs and news sources in my RSS reader. I follow a lot of this cutting-edge stuff and see its impact.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:22 PM   #11
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't really see what you're arguing. Yes, the Internet is hurting traditional media and there isn't as much sensationalization in blogs as in newspapers, magazines, etc.
You're joking on that one, right?

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 11:37 PM   #12
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The Internet breaks the news
Not really.

The Internet surely interprets the news quicker, but the internet doesn't break the news.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 01:07 AM   #13
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

Quote:
As for Billy, I think making a generalization about all blogs isn't real accurate. You can't generalize something so broad. There are plenty of lame blogs, but there are also many extremely influencial blogs out there and people are increasingly shifting towards them as they want info immediately and want the ability to have their say.
I wish I still had the link, but I read a story a couple months ago on blogs. The % of the population that follows news and gets any of their information from blogs was very small (like under 5% or something), though growing. The amount of media coverage (from newspapers, tv, etc.) dedicated to blogs grew at a much greater pace (something like 100 times faster). The main point was that blogs are a "hype item" that aren't growing as fast as they seem. (It was an op-ed by a Conservative group that was blasting the mainstream media for hyping the more liberal political blogs to create an "echo chamber".) Again, I wish I had the link. If you have any actual #s from a survey about "influence", please provide a link.

I have seen many blogs, and every single one has been lame in my eyes, even when i know the person or when they're famous. I'm not a super blog reader, but i have managed to read a few dozen in my days including some of the more popular ones, so i'm not just talking about a couple here. Of course, it's only MY opinion and i might be in the minority. And that's fine. I just think "get an editor" or "write about something i care about" every time i read a blog... and this is from the guy who writes 3 paragraph mega messages and reads the Sports Guy on a regular basis.

Also, blogs seem to be less reliable. I suppose guys like Josh Marshall have developed something of a reliable reputation, but i don't trust anyone who doesn't have an editor and pumps out several stories or opinions per day-- they will definitely get some stuff wrong. Blogs seem like more of a supplement to traditional news than a replacement, for the reliability reason above all.

Last edited by Billy D; 11-07-2005 at 01:27 AM.
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:41 AM   #14
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Marc, do you honestly believe that the internet and blogs are any less biased than the nightly newscasts? You mentioned the Dan Rather "scandal." In a situation like that, at least Rather and CBS News were held accountable for their inaccurate reporting. On the internet and in blogs, no accountability is required.

Quote:
As for Billy, I think making a generalization about all blogs isn't real accurate. You can't generalize something so broad.
But you have no problem in generalizing the media and calling it biased? Which one is more of a broad generalization?
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:21 PM   #15
Marc
Administrator

Okay, let me clear up a few things. My last post was rushed. I agree that blogs mainly are the ones who interpret the news, but that's not to say they are always slower than traditional media. I suppose CNN would be quicker, then the blogs go off analyzing what happened. However, notice that CNN and MSNBC, etc. are now making blogs a part of their shows. A dirty little secret is these traditional powers actually have people who read blogs to find out what's the buzz.

As for Billy, look at this: http://www.thelongtail.com/the_long_...ream_melt.html — mainstream media meltdown. The citizen journalist revolution is growing.

As for toby: no, I'm not saying blogs are this wonderfully impartial medium. In fact, they are more biased. No accountability is required on the Internet? Perhaps, but you also have to look at it in the way that the Internet is what calls for accountability in traditional media. If a major news organization makes a mistake, blogs are going to call them out.