Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 02:02 AM   #1
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough
Cool NBA Thoughts of the Day

A place to keep a running log of NBA commentary throughout the season:

Philadelphia at Detroit
I like the up-tempo offense Flip Saunders is using. The Pistons may give up 5 more points a game, but they'll score 10 more in the process. Got to be a little easy on Philly though, after playing OT last night against the Bucks the 76ers appeared tired.

LA Clippers at Seattle
Sam Cassell was on fire! 35 points, 5 rebounds, 11 assists and 2 two steals. Huge clutch jumpers in the final two minutes to help LA pull away. King James and Michael Redd be damned; Sam the Man was the player of the night. This was a game the Clips would have lost last year by 10 points. If everything comes together for this team and Livingston is able to get back on the court soon, watch out.

LA Lakers at Denver
Carmelo was atrocious. A selfish malcontent. If he played within the offense and let Camby and Martin exploit the weak interior, Denver would have won comfortably. Smush Parker hit some big-time open 3-pointers. Shades of Derek Fisher, at least for one night. Kobe hits another game-winning shot to further cement his rep as the NBA's best player late in the game.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:07 PM   #2
JayRedd
All-Star Player

JayRedd is on a distinguished road

What was Carmelo thinking when he took that pull up 22 footer with 12 seconds left in regulation of a tie game? The shot clock is off and it's tied. Everyone over 15 years old knows you hold for one shot. You either win the game or go to OT. You don't take a wild shot and give Kobe 10 more seconds to hit a game winner. All this after a whole game of commentary about his new-found patience and maturity. Mental error.

Other notes on that game: Parker looked good. Played in control, managed the triangle (or the semblence of it that the Lakers ran last night) and hit some big shots.

Kenyon just stood around all night. Had one or two explosive dunks/blocks but he was barely trying out there. I'm chalking it up to the lingering knee injury and not lack of effort but he had none of the normal Kenyon intensity. No rebounds, no D, no running the floor. This could spell trouble w/ no Nene and a semi-Kenyon
Old 11-03-2005, 03:49 PM   #3
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

Yeah I watched that LAL/DEN game too last night.. so excited that the season has begun! Decent opening for my Lakers; taking out Denver at home..
but without Nene, and Carmelo/Camby fouling out early in OT, the Lakers got lucky.
Andre Miller hit Camby for a ridiculous amount of alley-oops! Camby was very impressive.
Lakers have a long way to go, but Kobe looks amazing and Smush Parker really impressed me too
Old 11-03-2005, 06:57 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I watched the first half of the Lakers game and was not overly impressed with what I saw. My question about 'Melo is what in the world is he doing chucking up a 22-footer when, from what I saw in the first half, the Lakers still have no low post presence at all. Why the Nuggets were not continually feeding the ball into the low post is beyond me.

After San Antonio the next three best teams very well may be in the East between Indy, Detroit, and Miami. Detroit looked very sharp last night.

I am psyched for the Indy/Miami showdown tonight on TNT in high-def.

Sacramento is clearly missing Bobby Jackson. I said in the predictions thread that they need a backcourt scorer to emerge of that bench if they are to have a chance and so far that has not happened.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
Old 11-03-2005, 11:46 PM   #5
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

Chad Ford said it best:

Brad (Albuquerque): Hey Chad..what's up with Mello taking a possible game winning shot with ten seconds left when he couldve held for a last second shot?..How come he's gone downward while Lebron is gaining MVP status?

Chad Ford: What a terrible decision and really, a pretty shaky game for Melo. He's not in the same universe with LeBron right now. If they redid the draft, Melo would probably have been drafted fourth behind LeBron, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh. I think all three will end up being better pros then Melo.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:59 PM   #6
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Do the Lakers have something against guarding guys on the baseline preventing the alley-oop? Put a hand on your guy, he won't bite ya.

Melo was never going to be anything but a low-percentage shooter with no passing ability. We all knew that. He's a Dominique Wilkins with about half the ability...yikes.

Is Iverson STILL going to hoist a million shots a game?

Miami seemed a little bloated tonight with all their guys. I guess the final shot was for Wade, but they did pass up Walker for the late 3 when he was open. Mr. Walker won't tolerate that for long.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:04 AM   #7
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

Hey, this thread is catching on...

Indiana at Miami
Caught the end of the game, so I really can't give the incredible, insightful commentary that I usually do... Smith and Barkeley commented that Jason Williams looked totally out of the system, and that's why Payton was playing PG down the stretch.

Phoenix at LA Lakers
Watched the first half. Smush Parker was impressive for a second straight night. Raja Bell played very well, and Brian Grant looked like the Brian Grant from the Trailblazer days, knocking down mid-range jumpers.

Old 11-04-2005, 05:05 PM   #8
JayRedd
All-Star Player

JayRedd is on a distinguished road

Indiana looked like a juggernaut in the first half and through most of the third. They were just a well-oiled machine out there. Really impressive. (caution: Pacers fan). Staggered a little in the fourth when the offense slowed down, but they had solid stretches from almost every player in the rotation last night. From JO, Artest and Tinsley to Croshere, Sarunas, Granger and Harrison everyone fit in really well. Steve Jack looked a little lost at times but he tends to do that when his shot isn't falling. Either way, couldn't be more excited about this squad.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:30 PM   #9
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

Lakers showed that with a little defense they may have potential to makes waves and nab a playoff spot. I didn't expect them to beat Phoenix last night, but I also didn't expect them to rally late in the fourth after being down 17. Phil may just install heart in this team yet.

I'm very happy to see that Indiana beat Miami. I just can not support the Heat this year, which is a shame because I like both Wade and Shaq. But when you take a great team that was just one game away from the Finals a year ago and completely overhaul it with mismatched stars who won't be able to sidestep their egos (see Antoine Walker's line last night), I'm sorry, you're on my s-list. I'm pulling hard for the Pacers out east.
Sports Again?!
Old 11-04-2005, 06:24 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78
Do the Lakers have something against guarding guys on the baseline preventing the alley-oop? Put a hand on your guy, he won't bite ya.
Looks quite a bit like last year doesn't it?

I know it is still early but Miami was not overly impressive last night. The Pacers pretty much controlled the game for the first three quarters and then it looked like they hit the wall in the fourth and fatigue started setting in. It reminded me of the Lakers from a couple of years ago only instead of Kobe chucking up shots instead of feeding Shaq the ball it was Antoine Walker chucking up bad threes. If the Heat had played some defense in the first half and managed better shot selection they would have won the game.

If the Heat don't win the East this year it will be due to a lack of defense and consistent 3-point shooting.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:20 PM   #11
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

Cleveland at San Antonio
The Cavs kept up during the first half. Then the Spurs defense clamped down. Larry Hughes was ineffective for most of the game. Very impressive effort by San Antonio, with their bench contributing 33 points.

Old 11-05-2005, 12:17 AM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

The Cavs didn't look like much of a potential contender tonight did they? The Spurs just stomped a mudhole in them in the second half tonight. For the most part they even managed to neutralize LeBron.

Reggie Miller is on crack if he honestly believes the Pacers have a deeper squad than the Spurs do this year.

The Sixers just flat out suck right now. If this keeps up they may finally be forced to cut their losses and finally pull the trigger on moving AI and begin the rebuilding process.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:16 AM   #13
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

I don't think losing to the Spurs in any fashion is something to hang your head on. Nobody is a match for the Spurs, let alone the Cavs right now.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:09 AM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

But, if you truly think this team is turning the corner and is going to be a legit contender in the East then you need to at least compete with teams like the Spurs. The Cavs simply rolled over in the second half like they typically have the past two years when they played quality teams.

The Cavs very well be in the toughest division in the league this year. Indiana, Detroit, and Chicago all made the playoffs last year and with the additions Andrew Bogut, Jamal Magloire, Bobby Simmons, and a healthy T. J. Ford the Bucks look like a quality team that is on the rise in the early going.

I said over the summer that the Hawks were not going to be competitive with their current PG solution and so far they have gotten smacked around in both of their games losing by double digits to the Clipps and the Warriors. Salim Stoudamire and Tyrunn Lue strike me as nice role players off the bench and Joe Johnson simply is not a PG.

I know it is time for Eric Snow to hang it up. He is not a starting PG in the NBA anymore. Tony Parker simply abused him last night.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:57 AM   #15
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

Clipps is on a distinguished road

Clippers undrafted rookie, James Singleton will win the rookie of the year. This kid had 2 straight double doubles. He reminds me of Dennis Rodman with a midrange jumpshot and ball handling skills. I knew this guy would contribute as soon as possible, but I didn't expect 2 straight double doubles. This guy is an animal both on the boards and defensively. Corey Maggette better watch out. By mid season, Singleton will be starter. Sure, Maggette can score 20 points on any given night, but there are not too many players like Singleton who will go out there, work hard, rebound everything that comes off the rim and defend like crazy. And Singleton also has a reliable jumshot out to 20 feet away.

And Elton Brand, they weren't kidding when they said he got in shape. The guy is chizzled. In the past, he always had flabby arms, now they are clean, cut muscles. And it has definitely made him more athletic and quicker. Elton has done a few moves off the dribble that i'm not used to seeing. Usually he would just muscle himself in the paint and force something up, this time, he'll start from 15 feet out and break his guy off the dribble. At times, he is out of control with those moves, but I'm sure he'll learn them 100%
*****pass me the bottle and fill the glass up
Closed Thread