Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 11-06-2005, 02:34 PM   #1
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road
Default Bowl Projections

I just want to say that I'm giddy about a possible Fiesta Bowl matchup of Penn State and Miami and will be all kinds of dissapointed if it winds up LSU v. PSU and Miami/ND. Or even PSU/ND, which sounds good, but, South Bend...next year.

They'll probably be 4/5 in the BCS poll this week...were 6/7. Actually, based on the USA Today poll, PSU might jump Miami in the BCS as they took an 11-6 hop and Miami went 5-4. That will narrow it at least somewhat if the Harris was similarly impressed with the Badger beating.

Anyway, with the way things are looking, Miami/PSU looks like a possibility, any other non-Texas/USC Bowl Game possibilities you guys want to see happen?
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 05:27 PM   #2
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

A match up with Miami would mean Tempe becomes a see of Blue and White. They can't even fill the Orange Bowl without help from solid traveling schools and they had a paltry number of fans in Tempe for the MNC game three years ago.

This season has been magical. After four horrid seasons and one decent season I would have never believed that PSU could come this far in such a short period of time. Joe continually said that PSU was only a player or two away from being a good team. Apparantly they're even better than that, one second away from perfection.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:31 AM   #3
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

If all goes according to plan, I think the suits will do this...

Rose...Southern Cal (Pac 10 Champ) vs. Texas (Big 12 Champ)
Fiesta...Notre Dame (At-large) vs. Ohio State (At-large)
Orange...West Virginia (Big East Champ) vs. Miami (ACC Champ)
Sugar...SEC winner (probably Fla. vs. LSU) vs. Penn State (Big 10 Champ)

Ohio State gets in for a few reasons (if they can beat both NW and Michigan.

1. The SEC will beat itself up over the next few weeks and Ohio State will already have their losses. 4 teams from the SEC will still have a shot for the other at-large (one given to Notre Dame) after the SEC Title Game, but undoubtedly all of those remaining 4 will have 2 losses at the very least. This weekend will be a nighmare for the SEC if Bama continues to win because they will definitely only get one team in at that point if the Tide go undefeated. The SEC Title Game loser has never got an at-large bid. In fact, No conference title game loser has ever received an at-large bid in BCS history besides Oklahoma (which doesn't count because they were in the actual title game). And only 3 teams have ever gotten an at-large bid from a conference with a title game that didn't play in the conference title game (Texas 04, Tenn 99, Florida 98).

2. The ACC may not be won by Miami, but who ever wins it will give the loser their 2nd loss of the year at the end of the year (FSU or Miami).

3. Notre Dame will put pressure on the BCS not to put them together with PSU (esp. if ND can push Ohio State while Penn State gets a one-loss SEC team) because they play next year.

4. Ohio State draws in Arizona. How many fans did OSU get out at the Fiesta in 02 and 03? The suits in Tempe love to see their friends from Columbus come out for a game. Plus, Miami cannot draw anywhere else but home...if that.

5. Since the Fiesta Bowl win over Miami, the polls (including the BCS) love Ohio State. I can't deny that despite always claiming the world is pro-SEC and anything besides my Big Ten. Wish some of that love would go over to PSU at this point though.

6. Ohio State will probably be #8 in the BCS tomorrow (FSU and UCLA losing) up from #10. LSU-Bama loser this Saturday will bump OSU up to #7 (esp. if it is LSU, which I don't think so, but even if Bama losses, I think OSU will move ahead). Having them (OSU) lose early and being high now will help.

Personally, I don't think Ohio State deserves it, but I think if they win out, it will get done. Plus, people like to dump on Penn State (how the hell are both LSU and Miami ahead of them in both polls?) Christ, Miami is #3 in the Harris Poll. And then you guys wonder why I hate the southern teams. I hope by some miracle PSU gets Miami so they can beat the hell out of them. Oh wait, OSU did that and still nothing changes for the Big Ten. Whatever, no wonder I am for the old system. At the very least in the old system, PSU would get to win in the Rose Bowl (like they did in 94) and get dumped on instead of playing in some "lesser" bowl (any other bowl in my mind).

Last edited by buckeyefan78; 11-07-2005 at 02:39 AM.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 08:37 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't count the Hokies out of the mix for an at-large just yet. They are currently sixth in the BCS standings with two very winnable games left against UVA and UNC and they could potentially move up a notch or two if teams ahead of them lose a game. Keep in mind the Hokies travel to bowl games as well as any other school in the country.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 10:32 PM   #5
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

I'm with Alex, after the last few years I can't beleive Penn State is on their way to a BCS Bowl bid and a Big Ten Championship. It's an amazing turnaround, and I'm especially happy for the seniors who got to lead PSU to this outstanding season for their last year in Happy Valley (Robinson, Hali, etc.)

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 12:32 AM   #6
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I see your point doublee and do agree that combined with the alums and the "Vick factor," V Tech could get in. Still, the people in Arizona are living the high life due to a school in central Ohio. Personally, a one loss V Tech deserves it more than OSU.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:14 PM   #7
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

I didn't know Penn State's season was over yet? Great season so far, but you're still one loss away from the Citrus Bowl. Michigan St. is not a consitent team by any means, but they are capable of beating anyone if their heads are on straight. I think that is a tough game for Penn St, they're on the road too.

And I'm not worrying about OSU's bowl matchup at all until we get past two solid Big Ten teams. That's a tall order. We still have to go to the Big House to play a Michigan team that is pretty dissapointed in their season looking to salvage something, who will have won their last four big ten games- one of those games was against Penn St. So many unforseen things will happen between now and Bowl Selection time, I guarantee you that.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:43 PM   #8
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky the Kid
I didn't know Penn State's season was over yet? Great season so far, but you're still one loss away from the Citrus Bowl. Michigan St. is not a consitent team by any means, but they are capable of beating anyone if their heads are on straight. I think that is a tough game for Penn St, they're on the road too.

And I'm not worrying about OSU's bowl matchup at all until we get past two solid Big Ten teams. That's a tall order. We still have to go to the Big House to play a Michigan team that is pretty dissapointed in their season looking to salvage something, who will have won their last four big ten games- one of those games was against Penn St. So many unforseen things will happen between now and Bowl Selection time, I guarantee you that.
Oh I know, I'm just saying the way they are playing now those 2 feats are not far out of sight.

Old 11-08-2005, 06:10 PM   #9
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Certainly, which is why I said "projections".
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 07:51 PM   #10
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

Yeah exactly.

Old 11-08-2005, 07:52 PM   #11
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78
I see your point doublee and do agree that combined with the alums and the "Vick factor," V Tech could get in. Still, the people in Arizona are living the high life due to a school in central Ohio. Personally, a one loss V Tech deserves it more than OSU.
You know the funny thing is Va Tech could conceivably end up with the best record in the ACC if Miami loses in the ACC Title Game but end up in a crappy bowl game because they would technically be the third place team in the conference. Assuming of course the Hokies and Canes win out. Miami is not out of the woods just yet. They still have to host a very pesky Georgia Tech team in two weeks so the Hokies could still end up in the title game.

The Hokies have always historically travelled well to Bowl games even before the Vick brothers came along. Hokie football is all they have in that part of the state and VA is not exactly a warm weather state in late December early January.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:20 PM   #12
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
You know the funny thing is Va Tech could conceivably end up with the best record in the ACC if Miami loses in the ACC Title Game but end up in a crappy bowl game because they would technically be the third place team in the conference.
Nothing new. How many people remember the farce that was the '01 Nebraska Cornhuskers. They finished third in the Big 12, didn't even participate in the Big 12 Championship game, yet played for the national title. This kind of nonsense is ruining college football. But this has been covered extensively.
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 11:04 PM   #13
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

I remember Oregon's Mike Bellotti spewing his venom all over the BCS when Nebraska was in the Rose Bowl over Oregon in 2001. Absolute screw job. It should be a prerequisite to have won your conference to participate in the national championship game. If you aren't even the top team in your conference, let alone division in your conference, there is no way you can possibly be the best team in the country. Oregon would have actually given Miami a game. The Hurricanes could have been given the trophy before the started against Nebraska. We all knew that they would roll over them.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:37 PM   #14
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Ricky...

Both the Ohio State and Penn State fans on here know the season ain't over yet, especially how crazy this one has been. I thought Ohio State would struggle...actually lose to Northwestern a few weeks back, but now believe they should win, but in a close one. The Cats haven't won in Columbus since 1971 and haven't beaten OSU two years in a row since 1962-63. It's the last game for the seniors at the Shoe and that Buckeye defense has something to prove after getting beat up in Evanston last year. Hawk should have them ready to play. I have no logic behind the Michigan game. Just hold cross your fingers and go on an emotional rollercoaster like ya do every year.

I'm struggling to find hope for MSU against the Lions (which is rare for me considering how much I love the Spartans each year...just ask Kevin). Penn State has looked so good on defense. MSU hasn't looked great in past weeks despite beating Purdue (doesn't say much). Plus, Penn State will have two weeks to rest while MSU plays a pesky Minnesota team in the dome this weekend.

doublee and everyone else...

V Tech has to go to Virginia on the 19th. That ain't a gimme. The Cavaliers have won 21 of their last 23 home games, including the upset of the Seminoles earlier this year. Virginia does host G Tech this weekend though, which should be a solid challenge.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:46 PM   #15
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Oh, I didn't say that Va Tech was a mortal lock to run the table. Just pointing out a quirk that they could potentially end the season with the best overall record yet finish at third in the conference.