Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Basketball

Old 11-23-2005, 04:22 PM   #1
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road
Default I've missed you, college basketball. Come to papa.

Oh man! Welcome back, college basketball! Monday night alone --

Arizona beat Kansas (woot)
Gonzaga over Maryland
Texas blocks West Virginia's final shot at the buzzer to win
Iowa upsets Kentucky

Then last night --
Gonzaga over Michigan State in an unreal game
UConn over Arizona (thoughts on that below)
Texas over Iowa
UK beating WV
... And how about those BUCKNELL BISON winning at Syracuse?! Love it!

Oh God, it's like March! Arizona v UConn (still so dangerous even without Marcus Williams) tonight. Holy ****. And Gonzaga vs Michigan State who got whooped last weekend by 22 against freaking Hawaii! Yo!

For all the SC fans out there, Trojans lost their opener on Sunday in OT against Northridge. Hmm... Well, at least you're not as bad as Oregon State who got waxed by 28 against Tennessee Tech! Bwah?

Maui has definitely lived up to it's billing. I'm sorry I missed it, but the highlights to Gonzaga/Michigan State make it look like an instant classic. Triple OT! Adam Morrison! Perhaps the best player in the nation. Suddenly, people are warming up to those Larry Bird comparisons.

Arizona needs to improve it's shooting. No way around it. If they play the entire game like they did the first 15 minutes of the 2nd half, they run UConn off the floor. Poor shot selection hurt us against Kansas, but our defense was stellar. Last night against the Huskies, our defense was pretty good, forcing a lot of turnovers, but the offense was never able to convert on the other end. On paper, UConn is the better team regardless, but the Wildcats really should've done better. At any rate, we get another formidable opponent tonight in Mich St. (Unless the Spartans play like they did against Hawaii last weekend). If we win 2 of 3 against elite competition, it'll be worth it. Last night's loss will serve as a lesson in patience. Shooting has to get better.
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 04:54 PM   #2
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

I'm not too big on college hoops, but I like Maryland. Go Terps!

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:54 PM   #3
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Penn State hoops suck but I still love college basketball. So many interesting match ups early on in the pre-season tournaments and what not. Something is going wrong up in Syracuse right now. They almost lost to Cornell, a team PSU handled easily, earlier and now they lose to Bucknell. The Bisons may be one of the best mid-major teams this season but still an unexceptable loss for a team like Syracuse.

On that note, Penn State defeated Nicholls State tonight 93-56 to go to 2-0. A couple of more wins and Nittany Nation can start hoping for an NIT bid!
Old 11-23-2005, 11:07 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Syracuse losing to Bucknell is definitely unacceptable at home. One could almost let it slide if it were in one of those preseason tourneys at a neutral site but this happened in the Carrier Dome. I also cannot help but wonder what the deal is there. I know they lost Hakim Warrick but it is not as though they are playing a bunch of Freshman and Sophmores this year. They have only one Frosh or Soph in the top six of their rotation.

Drexel was pretty impressive hanging with Duke tonight but Duke's talent and depth was eventually too much for them to handle. Josh McRoberts is going to be a beast next year once Redick and Williams are out of the way and he becomes the go-to-guy for Duke.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 11:10 PM   #5
Hall of Famer

Drexel showed a lot of heart and proved what I've been suspecting for a while: Duke is very beatable. If Shelden Williams is in foul trouble, the Dukies are vulnerable.

How about Memphis' Sean Williams? 20 points in the first half against UCLA.
Sports Again?!
Old 11-23-2005, 11:39 PM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Meh, everyone is vulnerable if the right player(s) get into foul trouble or get injured. By the time March rolls around McRoberts should be a more than capable in the low post if and when Williams gets into foul trouble.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:45 AM   #7
Gohawks
All-Star Player

Gohawks is on a distinguished road

As an Iowa fan it really really hurt that Texas beat us...... We were ahead in that game for 3/4 of the game..... Steve Alford just plain sucks.... Since he has taken over the basketball program the team has SUCKED almost EVERY year in the big ten. Many Hawkeye fans are wondering if were gonna choke against NW again this year......
Old 11-25-2005, 06:08 PM   #8
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

My 'Cats are starting slow, but they'll be scary come March. We obviously need Randolph Morris back, and the decision is expected in a few weeks (I'll believe it when I see it). We desperately need a post presence. At least All-American candidate Rajon Rondo had 19 rebounds in one of the games ... AS A 6-1 PG!
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 07:27 PM   #9
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Wichita State lost to Illinois by 1 when the Illini got a bucket with 1.5 seconds left. Then WSU hit their halfcourt prayer shot, but it was clearly after the buzzer.

D**n! Another near-upset! COFFEE IS FOR CLOSERS!!!

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 08:50 PM   #10
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Pretty good one between Duke and Memphis. The freshmen Duke duo of Paulus-McRoberts is for real.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 05:23 PM   #11
El Jefe
Philosopher of Sport

El Jefe is on a distinguished road

^aside from some typical freshman mistakes they made, they played well. I'm more impressed with what I saw from Memphis...man they've got a lot of athletes. If they meet Duke again, I think the Tigers take them down.

hey #99...this is the year the Bruins finally break that losing streak to UofA.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:11 PM   #12
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

I forgot to mention my local team Hostra University. They recentley got moved up to the Colonial Athletic Conference, which already had teams like Drexel and Old Dominion. Hofstra Stadium is only about a 10 minute drive from my house, so I wanna go see some games there this season. GO PRIDE!

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 07:55 PM   #13
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

NC State looked pretty good against Notre Dame on Saturday, but then again they always look strong until conference play starts. They don't seem to missing Julius Hodge as of yet and it looks like they have a much more balanced offense this year.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:35 PM   #14
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jefe
hey #99...this is the year the Bruins finally break that losing streak to UofA.
As much as I hate to admit it, you may very well nip us at Pauley. But that'll mean, of course, that the Bruins will be looking more consistent by then and Arizona won't be clicking on all cylinders like this past Sunday when we whacked Virginia by 30. That felt good. Felt really good.
Sports Again?!
Old 12-02-2005, 10:57 PM   #15
BlueBaron
Sports Enthusiast

BlueBaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
My 'Cats are starting slow, but they'll be scary come March. We obviously need Randolph Morris back, and the decision is expected in a few weeks (I'll believe it when I see it). We desperately need a post presence. At least All-American candidate Rajon Rondo had 19 rebounds in one of the games ... AS A 6-1 PG!
The NCAA has officially ruled Morris ineligible for now but he could be reinstated at any time. The games he has missed so far will count toward whatever penalty the NCAA comes up with.
BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote