Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Soccer

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 05:37 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default FIFA World Cup 2006 (Rd 1)

Our first story looks at the greatness of the World Cup and the U.S.' pathetic interest in it:
Quote:
Soccer: The Beautiful Game

Most of the world is waiting anxiously for the start of the 2006 FIFA World Cup. The only exception is the United States, who ironically has great players on its 2006 World Cup roster. Unfortunately, America fails to impel the love of the game to the population.
http://www.sports-central.org/sports...tiful_game.php

Saturday will be our next article, and here is the schedule:

Saturday - May 13 - Idiot's Overall Guide to the World Cup
Sunday - May 14 - Group A Preview
Thursday - May 18 - Group B Preview
Sunday - May 21 - Group C Preview
Thursday - May 25 - Group D Preview
Sunday - May 28 - Group E Preview
Thursday - June 1 - Group F Preview
Sunday - June 4 - Group G Preview
Thursday - June 8 - Group H Preview

Then on Friday, June 9, the first game of the World Cup is played. After that, there will be two columns a week, one would focus on the U.S.,
and the other would focus on everything else.

I'll post links to each in this thread and hope you can check them all out.

Anyone know if it will be in HD? It's on ESPN, right? I am making it a point to watch it this summer.

Old 05-12-2006, 05:53 PM   #2
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

All 64 games in HDTV and on ESPN or ESPN2.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
Old 05-12-2006, 07:12 PM   #3
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

ABC is going to be covering some as well.

Here is the complete schedule...

http://www.soccertv.com/wc-us.cfm

First ABC games are England v. Paraguay and Sweden v. Trinidad, which should be fun. ABC is going to have some triple headers, as well. I don't think they've done that in the past.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:22 AM   #4
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

I will admit that I don't follow soccer that much (really not at all. I know, shame on me!), but I do plan on watching some games this summer. And I will read some of the articles via Sports Central.....
Old 05-14-2006, 12:29 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The Idiot's Guide to the World Cup

In less than a month, the grandest tournament on the planet kicks off — the World Cup. It doesn't receive nearly the attention in America as it does every place else, but if you take a couple of hours away from baseball, you might see what all the excitement is about.
http://www.sports-central.org/sports..._world_cup.php

More to come!
Old 05-14-2006, 05:57 PM   #6
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

I've actually watched a ton of soccer this weekend, trying to raise my punditry level:

Mexico vs. Venezuela (actually tivo'd from last week). Mexico won 1-0 in a game where the ref made a horrible no-call that should've resulted in a penalty kick for the Mexicans in the first half was made up for by an even-worse phantom makeup call to give the Mexicans a penalty shot, which they converted, in the second half. It was the only goal of the game. The Mexicans played defensively (only one striker) and boringly - no one wanted to get hurt right before the World Cup, but Venezuela, who is in the midst of a horrible slump that cost them a spot in the World Cup, seemed to have more fundamental problems. Several botched cross attempts.

Mexico vs. Congo. That would be the new Congo, nee Zaire, not the other Congo that has been Congo all along.

Mexico once again played 4-5-1 but Congo forced them to open it up a little more. I was rooting for Congo because their star striker, Lomana Lua Lua, plays for my favorite EPL team (Portsmouth), but he is still battling an injury and didn't play. Mexico won 2-1.

I also watched the English FA Cup Final, just a ridiculously exciting game. West Ham, the big underdogs, built an early 2-0 lead which is not often surmounted in soccer, but Liverpool was able to draw even. Then West Ham pushed ahead again, but they weren't able to shut the door as Liverpool equalized again in injury time. Had West Ham held on for just another minute or so, they'd be hoisting the trophy. Had a West Ham shot that went off the post late in extra time made it a little to the right, they'd also be hoisting the trophy. Instead, the game was still tied after 30 extra minutes, and Liverpool won the shootout and the cup.

Finally, I watched a game from La Liga, Espanyol vs. Real Sociedad.

The year before last, I decided to choose a favorite team in all the big European leagues. I picked Portsmouth in the EPL, Wolfsburg in Germany, Siena in Italy, Valenciennes in France and Espanyol in Spain.

Espanyol needed to win the game to avoid relegation. They pushed and pushed and pushed but couldn't find the net. Finally, two and a half minutes of injury time in, a clever pass and a touch goal put Espanyol ahead and by the time the celebration was over, the ref blew the whistle ending the game. The camera panned in on many players and supporters crying tears of joy. An absolute, skin-of-the-teeth eleventh hour goal to avoid relegation.

I mentioned my favorite teams in each big Euro league above because they all but one share an odd coincidence. While Valenciennes will be promoted to French Ligue 1 after a successful Ligue 2 campaign this year, the rest of the teams were already in their country's respected top-flight league...and they all (Portsmouth, Espanyol, Wolfsburg, and Siena) were the last team to avoid relagation. Espanyol and Worlfsburg needed and got positive results on their last game to stay up, and Portsmouth, although they ultimately saved themselves with a game in hand, was further back in the relegation zone than any of them a month ago. Freaky. Alright, I'm done boring you....

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
Old 05-14-2006, 08:09 PM   #7
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Barcelona against Arsenal this Wednesday (2:30pm on one of the ESPNs) in the Champions League final if you want to TIVO a game that should be excellent. Thierry Henry and Ronaldinho going up against each other. Should be good.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:10 AM   #8
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

The injury time goal Liverpool got to tie the FA CUP was pretty stunning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiPA7IDaKxQ&eurl=

And the video reveals another great thing about soccer: More chances to here Groundskeeper Willyesque Scotsmen commentators talk (he kicks in at about the 30 second mark. "Take a boo, soon.")

EDIT: Also amusing: You know how selfish American athletes are supposed to be? Check out the goal-scorer's twist on the "push out the name on the front of your jersey after you've accomplished something big" habit that basketball players have.

Old 05-16-2006, 03:52 PM   #9
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

IntheNet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
Thanks Marc! I'll be the one printing up and selling "USA Wins World Cup" shirts to one and all!!!
Go Landon! Go USA!
Old 05-16-2006, 07:31 PM   #10
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBeane
The injury time goal Liverpool got to tie the FA CUP was pretty stunning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiPA7IDaKxQ&eurl=
This makes me so happy.
Sports Again?!
Old 05-23-2006, 08:44 PM   #11
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

IntheNet is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Friendly game this evening... road to Germany... USA vs. Morroco...USA looks sluggish... little attack or offense... I am seriously concerned that Coach Arena erred by not selecting Taylor Twellman to help McBride and Donovan...game is 0:0 in 76th minute...boring... even Casey keeper looks hard pressed by Morroco's attack... I think this team is screwed when they face Italy! How do you spell miracle?
Old 05-23-2006, 09:02 PM   #12
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

How do you spell bail from the bandwagon quickly?
Old 05-23-2006, 10:43 PM   #13
Hall of Famer

Aw crap! I didn't realize that game was on today. Anyway, I'm not sure it's bailing from the bandwagon, so much as being a little realistic. The US is a good team, sure, but they need to be at their best and hope Czech and Italy are a little off when they face them. But I think we've already gone over all of that...
Sports Again?!
Old 05-23-2006, 10:50 PM   #14
Hall of Famer

Sounds like it was a pathetic performance. Any sort of injury to Reyna could be crushing. He's the stability in our midfield.
Sports Again?!
Old 05-23-2006, 11:28 PM   #15
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by #99
Aw crap! I didn't realize that game was on today. Anyway, I'm not sure it's bailing from the bandwagon, so much as being a little realistic. The US is a good team, sure, but they need to be at their best and hope Czech and Italy are a little off when they face them. But I think we've already gone over all of that...
Had it been you, Dave or Kevin saying what InTheNet said, you're right, it would be more of a case of being realistic, under what I've seen from you guys. However, InTheNet and myself have been touting the team a bit higher. Hell, check out his first post in this thread...

Quote:
Thanks Marc! I'll be the one printing up and selling "USA Wins World Cup" shirts to one and all!!!
Go Landon! Go USA!
Don't worry though, InTheNet, when they get that 2-2 draw to the Czechs and go up 2-0 on Italy late, the USA soccer bandwagon will undoubtedly have room.
Closed Thread