Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Hockey

Old 06-19-2001, 05:41 PM   #1
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road
Default Entry Draft

The 2001 NHL Entry Draft will get underway this weekend. Day One, consisting of rounds 1 through 3, is on Saturday, June 23, while Day Two will be Sunday, June 4 and consist of rounds 4 through 9.

Live broadcasting begins at 12:00 NOON, EST, on ESPN in the US and CTV SportsNet in Canada.

Personally, I find ALL drafts boring, even hockey... I just don't follow the minor leagues enough -- even hockey. However, I can assure you there is some GREAT talent out there as I always watch the World Junior Hockey Championships each December, so I know a lot of the players that will be drafted just from that. I'll probably tune into the first round of the draft to see where all the "good" players go, and also to see all the trades going around, etc.

I think Jason Spezza (Windsor, OHL; from Mississagua, ONT) will go first overall in the draft. He is the next Cam Neely or Adam Oates -- GREAT hands. I saw him set up one goal in the WJHC this past season... he worked it just like Gretzky behind the net to pass it out in front for the goal. Ilya Kovalchuk (Spartak, Russia Division 1; from Tver, Russia) will probably go second, or first, if Spezza isn't. However, this is the LAST guy on EARTH that would EVER win the Lady Byng Trophy as the league's most gentlemanly player. During the WJHC's, he exercised the WORST sportsmanship I've EVER seen in hockey -- the Russians were leading Canada something like 2-1 in the semi-final game... CAN had their goalie pulled... they turned over the puck and Kovalchuk skated in right in front of the crease, shot it in, and started jumping around like he had won the Stanley Cup... I mean, you just don't go cheering around after you score an empty net goal... I turned off the TV right there I was so disgusted (sp?) at him. ...then later in the year I heard he got suspended or something for fighting... or injured or something?... I forget...

...these two players are ranked #1 in North America and #1 in Europe, respectively.

Anyone else have insight into the draft?... perhaps some "unknown" players, or perspective trades that might be happening, though I don't see Atlanta giving up their #1 overall pick.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2001, 12:23 AM   #2
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Well... it shows how many "true" hockey fans when I am the ONLY one talking about the Entry Draft!!!

...OK, I admit, I'm nt OVERLY excited about the actual draft, but what about all the deals going about!?

...will it be the Senators (Yashin) or Sabres (Peca) taking the second overall pick, trading those two players to New York?... or will the Islanders decide to keep the 2nd overall pick.

Jason Spezza, because of his poor CHL playoff performance, may fall from second overall to as low as sixth, with possible goalie Pascal Leclar and winger Stephane Weiss being selected ahead of him.... will Lindros finally be moved?... also, it will be a HUGE surprise if Ilya Kovalchuk is not picked first overall, as it has been said by the GM that he WILL be an Atlanta Thrasher.

What other deals will emerge?... it will be an exciting Day One to the draft tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-23-2001, 11:37 AM   #3
rezag
Grizzled Veteran

rezag is on a distinguished road

Lots of talk of the Habs moving to number one, shouldn't happen if it the cost is Theodore, eventhough Kovalchuk is an excellent prospect that doesn't mean that the Habs should give up their best player for him.

GO HABS GO
rezag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2001, 12:18 PM   #4
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

There's an NHL draft?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2001, 01:27 PM   #5
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Wll, as expected, the Islanders moved their #2 overall pick to Ottawa for Alexei Yashin in a 3-player, 2-draft pick deal. The Sens being my favorite team, I think this is an EXCELLENT move for them... Spezza doesn't replace Yashin.. but he'll sure come close in a few years.

Here's a look at the top 5:

1. Atlanta Thrashers - Ilya Kovalchuk, FWD: good player, bad attitude. I would have chosen Jason Spezza because of "personal preferance," but now the Thrashers have a great #1 line composed of rookies draft either #1 or #2 overall over the past three years: Patrik Stefan, Dany Heatly, and Kovalchuk.

2. Ottawa Senators (from NYI) - Jason Spezza, C: great playmaker! Expected to play in the 2001-2002 season, like Kovalchuk. I can't wait to see this guy play!... any bets he gets an assist in his first game!?

3. Tampa Bay Lightning - Alexander Svitov, C: never heard of him

4. Florida Panthers - Stephan Weiss, C: This guy is compared to Steve Yzerman, and if the Panthers just got Yzerman playing along side Pavel Bure... well....

5. Mighty Ducks of Anaheim - Stanislav Chistov, C: Never heard of him... apparantly the best puckhandler in the league.

Notable Top 10s:

6. Minnesota Wild - Mikko Koivu, C: The younger, but BIGGER brother of Saku Koivu. This guy is amazing.... missed a wide open goal during the World Junior Hockey Championships to send the Bronze Medal Game vs. Canada into overtime in the 3rd period, but this guy will be great in a few years, if not, next year.

10. New York Rangers - Daniel Blackburn, G: The second goalie taken in the draft (first was #8, Columbus, Pascal Leclair)... finally the Rangers have some depth in goal... they really need a replacement for Richter with him being injured ON TOP OF not being an elite goalie anymore!

Top 10 consisted of 8 forwards, 2 goalies.... I'm watching the draft live, and the first defenseman was finally taken at 12th overall (Dan Hamhuis), by Nashville.

And YES, Marc, there IS a draft .....and I'm SURE more people know more about the NHL prospects than the MLB prospects.
Old 06-23-2001, 10:43 PM   #6
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

There sure were a lot of moves today. It makes everything else that much more exciting.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2001, 10:29 AM   #7
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by SC Brandon
There sure were a lot of moves today. It makes everything else that much more exciting.
True.... on top of Florida, the host city fo the draft, getting a great #4 overall pick in Weiss, Calgary traded Pavel Bure's brother, Valeri, to Florida, and, in return, the Flames got Rob Niedermayer -- I like this move for both sides, but it Niedermayer will definitely do better in Calgary than Bure did. Also, Calgary moved Fred Brathwaite to the Blues for Roman Turek. The Blues have really got to be feeling the pressure to get into the Finals, and obviously felt that Turek wasn't the man to do it, but Turek (although I REALLY like Brathwaite because he used to play for the Manitoba Moose) will definitely be able to steal some games for the Flames.

...I hope there are some more deals today, with rounds 4 - 9 going on this afternoon.
Old 06-24-2001, 05:08 PM   #8
dragons
Grizzled Veteran

dragons is on a distinguished road
Default Entry Draft - Flames Deals

I thought the Flames made two great deals. First, picking up Niedermayer and the Panthers 2nd pick for Bure.

That second pick turned out to be Andrei Medvedev, and he will be good, he may even be better than Leclaire and Blackburn. Watching Panthers games is now going to be fun, like watching the all-star game two seasons ago when they played with each other.

Roman Turek coming over for Brathwaite and prospect Daniel Tkaczuk was a good deal as well. The Blues may not think Turek is great during the playoffs but he's outstanding during the regular season. He did play well for the Blues in the first two series as well, just one poor series and he's out. I hate to see Tkazcuk go as he could be a good player but I gotta like what Craig Button did for the Flames yesterday.

As for the entry draft, man, the Sens are gonna be a powerhouse in a couple of seasons. If they can hold onto Hossa, Bonk, Alfredsson and the rest of the young guys, they will be in the finals in a few years. Chara is an outstanding defensive guy while Spezza is gonna be greatness. I don't like your comparisons of Oates for him Lee, he's gonna be better, he's gonna be Lemieux'esque.

Alexander Svitov - how can you not like this guys name? Sviiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitov scores!!!! He's gonna be a good one. Surprised to see him go third though.

Stephen Weiss - I really don't think he's going to amount to much.

Thats about all I have to say
dragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2001, 05:41 PM   #9
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Default Re: Entry Draft - Flames Deals

Quote:
Originally posted by dragons
As for the entry draft, man, the Sens are gonna be a powerhouse in a couple of seasons. If they can hold onto Hossa, Bonk, Alfredsson and the rest of the young guys, they will be in the finals in a few years. Chara is an outstanding defensive guy while Spezza is gonna be greatness. I don't like your comparisons of Oates for him Lee, he's gonna be better, he's gonna be Lemieux'esque.
Okay... so instead of Oates.... how about "Cam Neely?"

...I was so embarassed when the Sens, my favorite team, got swept in the playoffs.... I couldn't wear their hat out in public... I wore the Hurricanes hat instead (NOT 'cuz I like them... 'cuz their logo is the coolest in the game!)... but yesterday, after they drafted Spezza, cleaned out Yashin... got a good and big (and, I'm assuming, hard-hitting defenseman, which is what they were missing in the playoffs), I finally gained the courage to wear the hat.... I'm not ashamed any more