Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 07-20-2001, 01:10 AM   #1
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Default Top 30 College Football Players

This was written by Mel Kiper of ESPN

1. Roy Williams, WR, Texas
Williams is the most feared player in college football. Texas has the best receiving corps in college football history, and it's because of Williams. He is the consummate WR in terms of size, speed and ability.

2. John Henderson, DT, Tennessee
He could be the best Tennessee defensive lineman since Reggie White.

3. Lee Suggs, RB, Virginia Tech
A touchdown-scoring machine at running back.

4. Jason Thomas, QB, UNLV
A left-handed version of Daunte Culpepper -- size, arm strength and mobility. Best QB in college football.

5. Ken Simonton, RB, Oregon State
Has rushed for over 4,000 yards and scored 51 rushing touchdowns, averaged five yards per carry and caught 41 passes out of the backfield. Without great size (5-7, 188) and speed, one of most productive all-around backs in college football.

6. Ron Johnson, WR, Minnesota
With his size and ability to adjust to a poorly thrown ball, he presents matchup problems for cornerbacks. He did a great job against first-rounder Nate Clements of Ohio State.

7. Jonathan Smith, QB, Oregon State
He will not have an NFL future as a starting quarterback, but he is like a Ty Detmer -- a great leader and an accurate passer.

8. Larry Triplett, DT, Washington
He wreaks havoc in the middle of the line and defeats the double team consistently.

9. Will Overstreet, DE, Tennessee
Mike Gottfried agrees with me that Overstreet has developed into a great college defensive end.

10. T.J. Duckett, RB, Michigan State
A Heisman candidate, he combines power with just enough quickness.

11. Mike Doss, SS, Ohio State
A Ronnie Lott-type approach and attitude. He's a killer in the secondary.

12. Julius Peppers, DE, North Carolina
The top sack artist in the country last year. He's a dominator on the Tar Heels' defense.

13. Anthony Weaver, DL, Notre Dame
He could be as good as Bryant Young was at Notre Dame. He's in the same mold. In his mold, he's quick.

14. Rocky Calmus, LB, Oklahoma
He is a tremendously productive and spirited football player. The leader of the Sooner defense and the football team.

15. Eric Crouch, QB, Nebraska
He scored 20 touchdowns and had more than 1,000 yards last season. A brilliant college QB in the Nebraska system.

16. Antonio Bryant, WR, Pittsburgh
A tremendous big-play wideout for the Panthers.

17. Ben Taylor, LB, Virginia Tech
He is all over the field and without question the leading tackler on a dominant defense.

18. Josh Reed, WR, LSU
A former RB who had over 400 receiving yards after the catch last season.

19. Antwaan Randle El, WR/PR, Indiana
Was a great college quarterback and would make the list as a QB. His future is at WR in the NFL, but it will be interesting to see how much QB he will see this year.

20. Bryant McKinnie, OT, Miami (Fla.)
Size-wise, he is comparable to Jonathan Ogden -- 6-7, 340 pounds. He may be more destructive at the point of attack.

21. Kalimba Edwards, DE/OLB, South Carolina
He is the dominator on a Gamecock defense that was strong last season. He's one of the best players in the SEC.

22. Quentin Jammer, DB, Texas
An outstanding defensive back with size (5-11 200), cover ability and the toughness of a safety.

23. Bryan Knight, DE, Pittsburgh
Similar to Dwight Freeney, a feared outside pass rusher.

24. Damien Anderson, RB, Northwestern
The Wildcats spread the field, and he's able to show an electrifying burst to daylight.

25. Trev Faulk, MLB, LSU
He is all over the field and has been unbelievably productive, leading the Tigers in tackles.

26. Dwight Freeney, DE, Syracuse
An undersized sack artist who had 4 sacks against Michael Vick last season.

27. Jerramy Stevens, TE, Washington
Only a junior, but is 6-6, 255, and has receiver skills with TE size. He's better than Todd Heap.

28. George Godsey, QB, Georgia Tech
On target with his passes, he's a leader who has great timing and precision in working with his receivers.

29. Darnell Dockett, DT, Florida State
He's explosive at the point and a major force inside. He outproduced first-rounder Jamal Reynolds in some key categories, like tackles for loss and QB hurries.

30. Coy Wire, MLB, Stanford
Undersized, but plays bigger than 6-0, 215. One of the best linebackers in the Pac-10.

Now I must add Freddie Milons-WR-Alabama-Acourse I'm partial to Alabama players since I live in Alabama. I also like Rasheed Wallace
Old 07-20-2001, 10:25 AM   #2
CSC
Grizzled Veteran

CSC is on a distinguished road

thanks for posting this. THis is going to be helpful in my upcoming college fantasy draft.....Although I wish that it would have just been top 30 off. players but this works. Although I think that Joey Harrington should be on this list. And I think that Antwaan Randle El should be higher. In the spring game he played WR and QB and he outplayed everyone in both positions. This guy is a stud and he will be taking some snaps this year as well as catching some passes.
CSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 03:58 PM   #3
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road

Fianally you guys notice Lee Suggs!!!!

When I was watching Nebraska's bowl game against Northwestern ( Independence?) , I heard one commentator say, Crouch is gonna be great, he's not going to be a quarterback, but he's gonna be something. When I heard that I said, hey, he's right. I mean Crouch is and acceptable passer ( Cough, Dilfer), but he has EXCELLENT speed, agility, he's quick, and he has more than mastered the option. What do you think?
Old 07-20-2001, 04:19 PM   #4
Ross
Hall of Famer

Ross is on a distinguished road

I agree with CSC-Harrington should absolutely be on that list.

Nebraska's bowl was the Alamo, J.

As for the list, I would have Simonton at the top, Calmus would probably have to at least be in my Top 5 or 10. Suggs would definetely be up there. He did rush for 27 TDs last year. I have heard of Jason Thomas, from watching parts of every bowl last year, but I would not go as far to say that he is the best QB in the country, although how many times is UNLV on ESPN or ABC? In all, it's a pretty good list.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 01:41 PM   #5
CSC
Grizzled Veteran

OMG!!!! I can't believe that I didn't notice this before....Woodrow Dantzler isn't on this list. WTF! This is utter crap. This guy almost went 2000/1000 last year......he would have if he didn't get hurt. I think that he will do it this year. Making him the only player to do so in college football history.

<Edited for language by mod.>

Last edited by Ross; 07-22-2001 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-22-2001, 01:47 PM   #6
Ross
Hall of Famer

Ross is on a distinguished road

You're right! I'm a Clemson homer too(I was born close to there)! Is there some catch for Woody not making the list? He did get injured late last year, but he probably will be back to form. I think he averaged like 325 in total offense a game. However, your Seminoles did a pretty good job of shutting him down last year.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 09:28 AM   #7
CSC
Grizzled Veteran

Yea, he did get hurt but he almost broke the 2000/1000 mark. he should do it this year.....and this year he plays FSU in Death Valley.....it could be a little different this season. He might be my favorte player in college football right now. But don't get excited...I am waiting to see what FSU does with A. Boldin.