Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 06-05-2008, 09:10 PM   #16
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
Lakers 4 Celtics 1

The talking heads amp up their Kobe-is-better-than-Jordan rhetoric causing Tark to jump off a cliff.
Jump off & then climb back up to do it all over again...& again...& again.

Quote:
The talking heads also amp up their Kobe-is-the-best-Laker-ever rhetoric causing buckeyefan78 to drink a gallon of rat poison.
I especially like how the Hype Machine has gone to the most simplistic formula>>> Rings.

It doesn't matter that Bryant, who definitely should get credit for helping get the previous 3 rings, was a side kick to Shaq, just that he has the rings. I guess Magic, Jabbar, Wilt, etc. were just scrubs. :lol:

I'm thinking that if Pippin would have gone on after MJ left & got another ring or two, he would have been the Greatest.

Finally Bryant's maturing a bit, finally has a side kick in Odom, but the Talking Heads just have to project him as the Greatest & the Lakers a lock for the next decade. :lol:

Nauseating...

Quote:
* After death, please bury me with my Gail Goodrich rookie card. That's all I ask.

Well, if they beat the Celts, at least you have a Trophy to beat your head on. :thumbup:
Old 06-05-2008, 10:03 PM   #17
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post

I'm thinking that if Pippin would have gone on after MJ left & got another ring or two, he would have been the Greatest.

I don't know about that but his star certainly lost a lot of luster when he couldn't lead a team to a championship when MJ was not around.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:57 PM   #18
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Wow, where, uh, was the MVP and supposed best closer in the game in the 4th quarter of that game? Kobe all but disappeared from the game down the stretch.

Celtics turned up the D when they needed to and the Lakers just could not figure out how to slow the Big 3.

Rajon Rondo just needs to not shoot jumpers any more. Ditto for Sam Cassell who has nothing on his jumpers any more.

Kudos to Pierce for manning up and gutting out the rest of the game after hurting his knee. Time will tell if it causes him any problems over the rest of the series.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:50 AM   #19
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
I don't know about that but his star certainly lost a lot of luster when he couldn't lead a team to a championship when MJ was not around.
I'm sure you know I was being sarcastic about him being "the Greatest" but personally I didn't think Pippin lost any luster after MJ was gone. He almost too them to the Finals barring that series changing last minute Hue Hollins call.

He never was good enough to be 'the Man' but he was a Helluva good imitator with everything he could do on the court. He needed someone a little better so he didn't have the pressure of being #1 or at least someone as good as him. He had neither...

Quote:
Wow, where, uh, was the MVP and supposed best closer in the game in the 4th quarter of that game? Kobe all but disappeared from the game down the stretch.
Mark Jackson had me bent over with the dry heaves with all that ass kissing he was doing on #24. Stating he's as good as MJ any day of the week & then having a side-by-side comparison of the 2 while they were talking was hilarious.

Yea, just the best there ever was...

Quote:
Celtics turned up the D when they needed to and the Lakers just could not figure out how to slow the Big 3.
Great halftime adjustments, huh? Closed out the last 2 quarters, slowed down those S/Rs they were burnt on early, & started controlling the boards. I was impressed tho there were so many times they were fortunate the Lakers didn't capitalize with some of those bone head decisions & mental lapses.

Quote:
Rajon Rondo just needs to not shoot jumpers any more. Ditto for Sam Cassell who has nothing on his jumpers any more.
I didn't mind Rondo as much cuz his shots were either in the flow or cuz the offense was stagnating at times. celts just need to get more ball movement & keep him from having to shoot. Plus once KG gets the pass in to the post, make more passes out & let him reset. They had him out past the free throw line by the 4th. Just more ball movement...

Cassell is another story.

He gave them a huge boost when he came in but like you pointed out...what Sam giveth, Sam taketh away. He threw up his usual no brain shots to the point I thought he'd shoot 'em out of the game. & throw in that late 24 second call when he passed instead of shooting. I'm always amazed that a guy at the key doesn't notice that huuuge play clock over the basket.

Quote:
Kudos to Pierce for manning up and gutting out the rest of the game after hurting his knee. Time will tell if it causes him any problems over the rest of the series.
Yea, series is over if he's slowed even. Celts were lucky tonight IMO & got this W more on adrenaline than brains at times. If they can keep the LA bench in check again & slow down the other LA starters to force Bryant to go one 3-4 so he can get his 'Superman' fix, the Celts will be in a good position. God knows they need both of these home games before they deal with that ridiculous 3 game stretch in LA.

I've always hated this format since it just about hands home court advantage to the #2 seed. Steal one on the road & possibly never come back. Yea, that's fair...
Old 06-06-2008, 02:50 AM   #20
The Irish
Mr. Cellophane

The Irish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well you have just found out the reason why most Kentucky fans did not care when he announced his decision to go to pro. He couldn't shot a long range shot to save his life.

Anyway Celtics in 6. Pierce MVP, and Boston's D is gonna shut down Kobe. Like they did in Game 1.

They say the best weapon is one you never have to fire. I, respectfully, disagree. I say the best weapon is one you only have to fire once! That's how dad did it, that's how America does it, and it's worked out pretty well so far. - Tony Stark
The Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:17 AM   #21
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

I didn't mind Rondo shooting as much as I did Cassel (for the reasons stated above).

I figured out why Stuart Scott sits on the far left and not next to Magic... if they put him next to Magic he would have been giving him a hand job under the table the whole freakin time!! I almost threw up myself listening to him kiss Magic's ass...

Not too impressed with the way the Celtics played. The D didn't show up till the second half. We'll have to see how Pierce is after today.

And yeah, I cannot stand this 2-3-2 BS.... horrible!!!
Old 06-06-2008, 09:10 AM   #22
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
I'm sure you know I was being sarcastic about him being "the Greatest" but personally I didn't think Pippin lost any luster after MJ was gone. He almost too them to the Finals barring that series changing last minute Hue Hollins call.

He never was good enough to be 'the Man' but he was a Helluva good imitator with everything he could do on the court. He needed someone a little better so he didn't have the pressure of being #1 or at least someone as good as him. He had neither...

Yeah, I know. I was just saying the popular opinion on him changed dramatically when he could not be the man. I remember back in the glory days there were those who believed Pippen was an elite player in the league and if not for Jordan he would be one of the all time greats. I think a lot of folks now see him as a guy who was propped up a bit by Jordan and he was not all that. I think most still believe he was an above average player who would have made some All Star appearances if he played for another team.

Quote:
Mark Jackson had me bent over with the dry heaves with all that ass kissing he was doing on #24. Stating he's as good as MJ any day of the week & then having a side-by-side comparison of the 2 while they were talking was hilarious.

Yea, just the best there ever was...
I know what you mean and he has not been the only one. I think Van Gundy was pumping him up just as much last night. At least I think he was the one who basically claimed the Lakers had nothing to worry about when the Celtics started to pull away a bit because they had the best closer in the game and Kobe was going to save the day for them.

Quote:
Great halftime adjustments, huh? Closed out the last 2 quarters, slowed down those S/Rs they were burnt on early, & started controlling the boards. I was impressed tho there were so many times they were fortunate the Lakers didn't capitalize with some of those bone head decisions & mental lapses.

If you believe Doc they didn't make any real adjustments at halftime they just executed better and brought more intensity on the defensive end in the second half.

Quote:
I didn't mind Rondo as much cuz his shots were either in the flow or cuz the offense was stagnating at times. celts just need to get more ball movement & keep him from having to shoot. Plus once KG gets the pass in to the post, make more passes out & let him reset. They had him out past the free throw line by the 4th. Just more ball movement...

My reason for that statement is because once you get out to about 15 feet from the basket Rondo can't hit water if he fell out of a boat. He kind of reminds me of a more athletic version of Eric Snow or a bigger version of Muggsy Bogues, neither of which could shoot from the perimeter but could beat guys off the dribble and distribute the basketball with the best of them.

Quote:
Cassell is another story.

He gave them a huge boost when he came in but like you pointed out...what Sam giveth, Sam taketh away. He threw up his usual no brain shots to the point I thought he'd shoot 'em out of the game. & throw in that late 24 second call when he passed instead of shooting. I'm always amazed that a guy at the key doesn't notice that huuuge play clock over the basket.
Quote:

Cassell's legs looked shot in that game. Almost every one of his jumpers were coming up short. Maybe he just needs to stop shooting the threes. Take a step or so in and those shots fall.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:54 PM   #23
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Quote:
Yeah, I know. I was just saying the popular opinion on him changed dramatically when he could not be the man. I remember back in the glory days there were those who believed Pippen was an elite player in the league and if not for Jordan he would be one of the all time greats. I think a lot of folks now see him as a guy who was propped up a bit by Jordan and he was not all that. I think most still believe he was an above average player who would have made some All Star appearances if he played for another team.
[/SIZE][/FONT]
I'll admit I'm one of those people. I was stunned when he was voted one of the 50 greatest.

Helluva player but there's tons of those elite players thru history. I always thought it was more MJ than anything else that got him all the 'love'. If anyone ever had any doubts about that, all they need to do is remember that infamous '1.8' meltdown when he refused to go back into the game. MJ would have filleted him on the spot if he ever tried that.

Quote:
I know what you mean and he has not been the only one. I think Van Gundy was pumping him up just as much last night. At least I think he was the one who basically claimed the Lakers had nothing to worry about when the Celtics started to pull away a bit because they had the best closer in the game and Kobe was going to save the day for them.
You're right...

Jackson bothered me more but Van Gundy was right there with some of those inane comments too. I don't mind commentators voicing their opinions but quit treating people like they're deaf, dumb, & blind with all the over-the-top crap. Hype the league to the kiddies on another frequency, will ya?

Quote:
If you believe Doc they didn't make any real adjustments at halftime they just executed better and brought more intensity on the defensive end in the second half.
[/SIZE][/FONT]
I'm sure some of it was intensity & focus but things like the S/R? I don't think so since it didn't seem like they were just slow in reacting, it seemed like they didn't even see it coming.

Either way, if I was a Celt fan, I'd be concerned that this was more about emotion & less about execution that got them this win. There were plenty of times the Celt offense seemed to be clueless & their defense defenseless & it was at times that it didn't seem it was just cuz of the Laker D. Very sloppy...

Quote:
My reason for that statement is because once you get out to about 15 feet from the basket Rondo can't hit water if he fell out of a boat. He kind of reminds me of a more athletic version of Eric Snow or a bigger version of Muggsy Bogues, neither of which could shoot from the perimeter but could beat guys off the dribble and distribute the basketball with the best of them.

I agree wholeheartedly. It must be scary for Celt fans when he rears up to shoot but then again, maybe they've gotten used to it.

Quote:

Cassell's legs looked shot in that game. Almost every one of his jumpers were coming up short. Maybe he just needs to stop shooting the threes. Take a step or so in and those shots fall.
I just wouldn't feel comfortable with him cuz he still acts like a starter when he comes in. Coming off the bench in different situations means he should play accordingly but he just acts like there's no such thing as the clock, shoots without anyone under the net, no patience in running the offense....well, just being Sam Cassell.

So what's your keys for the next one, D? Celts keeping the pressure on or the Lakers pulling the rug out from under them?
Old 06-06-2008, 06:34 PM   #24
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
I'll admit I'm one of those people. I was stunned when he was voted one of the 50 greatest.

Helluva player but there's tons of those elite players thru history. I always thought it was more MJ than anything else that got him all the 'love'. If anyone ever had any doubts about that, all they need to do is remember that infamous '1.8' meltdown when he refused to go back into the game. MJ would have filleted him on the spot if he ever tried that.

Well, he was the 5th pick in the draft ahead of guys like Kevin Johnson and Mark Jackson so someone thought he was a pretty good player coming out of college.

The whole meltdown never would have happened if MJ were around because Pippen had already grown to live with the fact that MJ was going to have the ball in his hands for the last shot anyway.

Quote:
You're right...

Jackson bothered me more but Van Gundy was right there with some of those inane comments too. I don't mind commentators voicing their opinions but quit treating people like they're deaf, dumb, & blind with all the over-the-top crap. Hype the league to the kiddies on another frequency, will ya?
Unfortunately this is what ESPN has devolved to. They seem to have stopped caring about journalistic integrity years ago.

Quote:
So what's your keys for the next one, D? Celts keeping the pressure on or the Lakers pulling the rug out from under them?
The same as they were for this one: Don't let Kobe beat you.

I don't think the Celtics think Odom and Gasol have it in them to be able to beat them if they manage to keep Kobe contained. Ultimately it came down to the fact that the Celtics top 3 (Allen, Pierce, and Garnett) outplayed the Lakers top 3 (Kobe, Odom, and Gasol) 65 pts. 25 reb. to 53 pts. 17 reb.

As long as Boston maintains the level of play they had in the second half last night they should be fine. It is going to be interesting though as I suspect we may be in for another one of Kobe's 'heroic' performances where he chucks up 50 points.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:01 PM   #25
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Quote:

The same as they were for this one: Don't let Kobe beat you.

I don't think the Celtics think Odom and Gasol have it in them to be able to beat them if they manage to keep Kobe contained. Ultimately it came down to the fact that the Celtics top 3 (Allen, Pierce, and Garnett) outplayed the Lakers top 3 (Kobe, Odom, and Gasol) 65 pts. 25 reb. to 53 pts. 17 reb.
Maybe I should be more scared of Bryant than I am but if I were the Celts, I'd still play that 2nd half type enthusiastic D but I wouldn't even let the other starters sniff any rhythm. Kobe can & probably will catch fire real soon but as long as they still bang him as hard as allowed & make him chase Pierce around consistently, he'll wear down late. Keeping the rest from getting comfortable will probably keep the game from getting away from them.

IMO, the biggest key will be if the Celts can continue having their bench outplay the Lakers. All year long that LA bench was keeping leads & a lot of times increasing them. Celts did a great job in game #1, need it in game 2, & will die without it in LA for games 3-4-5.

Quote:
As long as Boston maintains the level of play they had in the second half last night they should be fine. It is going to be interesting though as I suspect we may be in for another one of Kobe's 'heroic' performances where he chucks up 50 points.
Well, you know PJ is going to be working the refs about the physical play. I was a little surprised they let it get so rough at times but if they reverse fields, the Celts are going to be in for a surprise.

Special mention: I especially liked Posey's bruising D on #24 late. I knew he'd be key from his past Championship run with the Heat. Big time play...
Old 06-09-2008, 12:50 AM   #26
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Boston starts giggling & laughing too early & start making dumb decisions & it almost costs them. This wasn't an almost miraculous comeback by LA as it was an almost complete collapse by the Celts. The most amazing blown call was the late steal by Radmanovic who must have taken 4 full steps on that breakaway.

I'm almost convinced that these 3 Stooges are the absolute worst announcers I have ever heard. The constant whine & excuses they make for LA is only to hide their poor choices in ass kissing earlier comments extolling how great Bryant & the Lakers are. The big laugher was the whining how #24 shouldn't have gotten those first 2 fouls.

Hmmm, I thought when you hook your arm around someone you're about to lose on a cut & throw a blatant elbow out of frustration was pretty easy to call. :tsk:

Throw in Michael Wilborn for all his whining about the disparity in foul shots. Some were nothing but home court calls which are a staple of Finals reffing & the rest were the Lakers trying to recover after Celtics got to the rim. How anyone expected more shots for LA when they routinely settled for jump shots cuz the swarming Celt D wouldn't let them into the paint is beyond me. Their lack of consistently attacking the basket is a known formula for reduced foul shots. Nice commentary tho by Jon Barry. So-so on Stuart Scott.

PJ is kicking in his 'ref/league work' for game 3 in his post game by pointing out the disparity in fouls shots & then 'mispronouncing' Powe's name. Yea, right...he knows exactly how it's pronounced, especially after tonight. That kid was just an animal tonight...

Powe was constantly active & for the most part was fouled by late arriving flat footed Lakers. Go back to the locker room & put the blame where it should be, Phil...

Celt bench did exactly what they should & LA's did exactly what I expected. They gave away an advantage on the boards in that frenzied finish but for the most part, this series'll still be about who's bench beats whom's. Now we see if the Celts can do it on the road. I'm thinking they can steal at least 1. I would have thought 2 but they made the Lakers believe in themselves at the end.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:40 PM   #27
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Just so damn busy don't have time to participate on the specifics but I'm a bit surprised LA is down 2-0.

Anyway, I've read Tark's stuff and just put me down for that.

:thumbsup2:

Kobe's last 5 games in the Finals (team record 0-5)

39-108 from the field...36%

"Sir, I watched Michael Jordan. I knew Michael Jordan. You`re no Michael Jordan."

We'll go a week Steve. I'm gonna go with a Larry Bird avatar if ya don't mind. We'll pay tribute to old skool.

:thumbup:
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:23 PM   #28
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Good to see you back from the trenches, Buck :thumbup:

I forgot one other thing that I'm sure will keep Buck laughing unless he heard & is still laughing anyway:

Michael Wilborn was crowing about Paul Pierces # of 16 points & 5 assists being right up there with 1st half stats of players like Bird, Magic, etc. I'm not even sure if he mentioned MJ at all. :lol:

I'm also not sure but he might even have said that it was more impressive. I can't remember cuz I was laughing too hard to soak it all in.

Anyway, I'm thinkin' LA will come out smoking in game 3 & get right back in this thing.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:33 PM   #29
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Good to see you back from the trenches, Buck :thumbup:

I forgot one other thing that I'm sure will keep Buck laughing unless he heard & is still laughing anyway:

Michael Wilborn was crowing about Paul Pierces # of 16 points & 5 assists being right up there with 1st half stats of players like Bird, Magic, etc. I'm not even sure if he mentioned MJ at all. :lol:

I'm also not sure but he might even have said that it was more impressive. I can't remember cuz I was laughing too hard to soak it all in.

Anyway, I'm thinkin' LA will come out smoking in game 3 & get right back in this thing.
Yeah, I think we're gonna go 6 now with Boston hoisting the trophy if for no other reason than we need to hear more commentary about how these guys would run circles around the old Lakers and Celtics.

That Pierce one is a hoot though. Sure, Bird had Cooper and Worthy on him while trying to get shots off while Pierce is being followed around by Kenny Rogers (Kobe) and Mary Jane's Main Man (Odom) but yeah...it's comparable.

buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:54 PM   #30
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

I hate this format. The entire playoffs, it's been 2-2-1-1-1. Now this 2-3-2 crap. Hate it hate it hate it.

That is all. Oh yeah, KOBE FOR MVP (Vomits into bucket, then giggles uncontrollably)
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote