Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 06-11-2008, 03:52 AM   #31
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

If LA hits more of their FTs, it's an easy win tho if they were, I think Rivers would have started shaking things up on D more & reacting quicker.

Aside from that, LA's bench takes this one. Pierce & Garnet play basically gets canceled out by Gasol & Odom. 29-21 bench advantage LA is the difference. Celts let Vujacic get free way too many times. Also was confusing on why the Celts didn't pressure Bryant more on those blind spins in the lane.

More drivel from the 3 stooges about fouls. Calling it home court advantage is too simplistic. Each team plays better/harder/more efficient/more aggressive at home. Refs have historically favored & rewarded the team who's hustling & making things happen. LA was the more active team for most of the game & it was called accordingly.

Hearing those inane comments of how the Lakers/Bryant were mysteriously getting to the foul line was easily seen by how the Celts were not shutting down the lane like they were at home & the Celts were reacting late to penetration by reaching & plain fouling. Basically LA was doing in the paint in game 3 what the Celts did in game 2. Quit with the excuses for LA already...

They just had to bring up another MJ/Bryant comparison...again.

Bryant made some great shots but all that does is remind you of other prolific scorers thru NBA history. Never do you feel his presence or see a game long impact like when MJ was around. Using individual plays doesn't make a comparison (tho I'd take all of MJ's over #24) even tho the NBA is working OT to make one. Just getting nauseating...

LA won this one but both teams acted like they wanted to give it away. Boston just happened to want to 'gift' it more. Horrid shooting by both teams...

I thought LA'd win this one on sheer emotion & that's what they did. I see Boston winning the next.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:15 AM   #32
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

On the MJ/Bryant comparisons, just stop ESPN. Jordan wouldn't have struggled from the line like Kobe did last night. Jordan was a much better leader. Kobe wants to be Jordan, but never will be.

Doc may have gave that game away last night in the beginning of the 4th. How long was it into the quarter before Garnett and Rondo came in? Come on. If you are key players, you play at key moments. That was one. They could have possibly gone up by 10 w/your major playors in, yet they are riding the pine watching House and Brown.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:30 AM   #33
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post

LA won this one but both teams acted like they wanted to give it away. Boston just happened to want to 'gift' it more. Horrid shooting by both teams...

Honestly, I'd say Boston lost this one more than LA winning it. Boston still played good enough defense to win that game. They held the Lakers to 87 points which is roughly 20 below their season average and 43% shooting from the field. Boston just could never find any kind of rhythm offensively. It looked like they were going to when they grabbed the lead there in the 3rd but then they just fell apart again in the 4th.

But you are right neither team really looked like it wanted the game last night. Allen, Kobe, and Vujacic are the only three who looked like they had any interest in being at the Staples Center last night. Take those three out of the equation and the rest of the Celtics shot just 30% from the field and the Lakers just 28%.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:37 AM   #34
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dublin Mike View Post
On the MJ/Bryant comparisons, just stop ESPN. Jordan wouldn't have struggled from the line like Kobe did last night. Jordan was a much better leader. Kobe wants to be Jordan, but never will be.
The sad thing is when Stephen A Smith interviewed him the other day Kobe told them they needed to stop withe the MJ comparisons because there is only one Jordan yet ESPN continues right along. Whether it was genuine or not I'll never know but it is just silly that they continue on with the comparisons.

You know, at times, I find myself wondering if Mark Jackson is on the Lakers' payroll....
Old 06-13-2008, 12:03 AM   #35
trayhezy
All-Star Player

trayhezy is on a distinguished road

I would like to personally thank Paul Pierce again for renewing my enjoyment of the NBA. He not only led his team but he asked for, took the assignement, and played lockdown defense on the so called "best player on the planet".

I started a huge debate a couple of years ago on these boards by stating that Paul Pierce (along with a couple of others) was an equal player to Kobe and if he had played with the Shaq that was on the Lakers he would have 3 rings and be considered as a potential Hall of Famer. There were several on the boards at the time who called me crazy. I knew these finals would prove that point. The Celtics are the better team, period. The only advantage that the Lakers had if you bought the conventional wisdom was Kobe. However I felt that Pierce would play Kobe to a stand still as the number 1 guy, and as for guys 2-12 the Lakers are not even in the ball park.
until I'm Tiger dead
trayhezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:07 AM   #36
trayhezy
All-Star Player

trayhezy is on a distinguished road

Also, if anyone can show me where MJ lost a 24 point lead (or anything comparable) in a playoff game, then I will accept the Kobe comparison, otherwise I will not even address such amazaingly idiotic, stupidity ever again.

P.S. Truth be told, Doc Rivers had outcoached the Great Phillip.
until I'm Tiger dead
trayhezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:12 AM   #37
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Jackson isn't a tactical coach. He's a motivator. Back in 2004 the same thing happened when the brilliant Larry Brown dismantled the Lakers.

Seriously tray, I hear ya. Kobe is one of the greatest players ever. Top 20, maybe top 15. But MJ is light years above him and everyone else. He transcended the game.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:00 AM   #38
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

I like how some of the Talking Heads are going in reverse, backing up over some of their earlier insane LA talk.

Anything can happen in this league but the lunacy of making a Laker team that is the weakest defensive team the favorite to win the Title was the Original Sin. What's happening isn't surprising, it's been expected by anyone not drinking the Kobe is God-Lakers are a lock Koolaid.

The only way the Celts lose in this series is when they fail at something, not that the Lakers stopped them. The LA lead was just the Celtics not playing D, not hustling. The comeback was impressive only in that the Celts didn't stop playing by getting down on themselves. Once again, cuz what the Celts did, not what LA did.

The Celt bench was the key in this one, just like in the other wins. Plain & simple.

I'd like to see a new column by that one national writer who stated that while they say great Ds win Championships, the LA D was good enough.

Just watched Bryant at the podium:

If there was any simple thing to hold up as the difference between MJ & Bryant it's his comments.

"We wet the bed...a real big one...the kind you can't hide with a towel". :lol: Throw in his comment of needing about 20 shots (liquor) to drown tonight's game & there you have it.

MJ never showed that kind of weakness...ever.

Last edited by Tarkus; 06-13-2008 at 01:18 AM.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:04 AM   #39
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayhezy View Post
Also, if anyone can show me where MJ lost a 24 point lead (or anything comparable) in a playoff game, then I will accept the Kobe comparison, otherwise I will not even address such amazaingly idiotic, stupidity ever again.
Yep...

The only thing I would point out to Kobe lovers is that when did you ever see MJ go for a half where he didn't impose his Will on the game in numerous areas. Bryant's comments on how many guys he was seeing every time he touched the ball was the same #, if not more, Jordan saw every time he touched the ball.

I also liked him saying there was no difference when Pierce started covering him. :lol: While Allen plays him as good as anyone else as a rule, Pierce made him mortal.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:47 PM   #40
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

GENERAL RAMBLINGS:

Allen had played him very well too. Hell, Kobe had two offensive fouls in GAME 3 while trying to post up Ray.

You can't post up Ray Allen without fouling him?

This guy is a joke. I never want to hear this guy is Jordan again. I wouldn't even put him in my top 50 all-time.

Phil is out of his mind. What the the hell is this Farmar-Vuc-Walton-Rad-Turiaf hybrid lineup he runs at times? Nobody can create his own shot. Nobody can even set a freakin' screen. Five guys standing on the perimeter just waiting for someone to post up so they can play in-n-out and hoist a 3. Fish or Kobe have to be on the floor at all times. Kobe can't play 48 minutes? Wilt averaged OVER 48 minutes for entire seasons.

Lamar Odom needs a shrink...stat!
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:21 PM   #41
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayhezy View Post
You can't that is why the comparison is such a joke. MJ never loses a game like that in the playoffs simply because he would do whatever it took to win that game even if it meant taking every shot down the floor and dropping 30 in the second half on the Celtics to make sure he walks out of the arena a winner.

Quote:
P.S. Truth be told, Doc Rivers had outcoached the Great Phillip.
Honestly, I don't know that is saying too terribly much. Jackson has never been known as a great X's and O's kind of coach he is just a great personnel manager and manages to get the most of the talent he has. Tex Winters was always the strategist on Jackson's teams.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:23 PM   #42
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
I like how some of the Talking Heads are going in reverse, backing up over some of their earlier insane LA talk.

Isn't funny to watch the Kobe Bryant Jock sniffer bandwagon captained by Stuart Scott come to a screeching halt?

Old 06-14-2008, 11:20 PM   #43
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Isn't funny to watch the Kobe Bryant Jock sniffer bandwagon captained by Stuart Scott come to a screeching halt?

It's time for the sloooooow retreat from the outrageous.

So, D

Do the Celts have what it takes to close this out in game 5 or will they need home court to do it? Somewhat of a 'sigh of relief' kind of letdown since they're so close?
Old 06-14-2008, 11:45 PM   #44
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I don't know what to think on this one. We keep waiting for Kobe to have one of his 50 point games and carry the Lakers to a win on his own, but Kobe seems to have zero interest in doing so.

If the Lakers have any pride at all this goes back to Boston and it ends in Game 6. But, the Lakers are such basket cases mentally right now and just seem to look defeated at this stage. The Celtics have that championship pimp walk swagger going right now and I won't be surprised if the Celtics drop the hammer on the Lakers and win comfortably tomorrow night.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:03 PM   #45
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

What a way to stumble to victory. While there were good moments here & there for LA, I don't know how they can feel good about squeaking out a W at Staples.

If Perkins is still hurt, that'll help on the boards but I just don't see how they expect to go into the Garden & 'steal' 2. I don't see the Celts being this porous at home.