Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 06-16-2008, 07:58 PM   #46
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
What a way to stumble to victory. While there were good moments here & there for LA, I don't know how they can feel good about squeaking out a W at Staples.

If Perkins is still hurt, that'll help on the boards but I just don't see how they expect to go into the Garden & 'steal' 2. I don't see the Celts being this porous at home.
I don't know if LA goes down in 6 or 7 but when it happens I expect the margin to be 30 +
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:44 AM   #47
philabramoff
Exiled Packerfan in SoCal

philabramoff is on a distinguished road

Has it ever occurred to anyone that Kevin Garnett sucks???
philabramoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:33 PM   #48
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by philabramoff View Post
Oh come on, he had one quiet game. I think Pierce deserves props for outplaying Kobe this series. If the Celtics don't close out tonight, watch out because momentum is swinging. They must feel a lot of pressure to not let the only team down 3-1 come back in history, and don't forget they lack championship experience.

Anyone notice how Cassell is taking Rondo's minutes? Kind of surprising.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:59 PM   #49
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Actually Eddie House is the one getting Rondo's minutes. I may be mistaken but I think Rondo is still working through a foot/ankle injury he suffered earlier in the series. I suspect some of it has to do with the injury, some of it with the fact that Rondo's shooting has been downright brutal at times, and the Celtics have had some success when they go with the 3-point lineup of Posey, Allen, House, Pierce, and KG and spread the Lakers out defensively.

KG has not been terribly great this series but I think a lot of that is due to him pressing a bit too much and getting down on himself when he misses a couple of shots. Up until the Finals he had been having a pretty strong post season.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:01 PM   #50
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Well, it looks like Perkins & Allen are on for tonight if you can believe the press. Perkins practiced so that's a good sign.

Not a good sign for the Lakers tho...
Old 06-17-2008, 05:00 PM   #51
philabramoff
Exiled Packerfan in SoCal

philabramoff is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
KG has not been terribly great this series but I think a lot of that is due to him pressing a bit too much and getting down on himself when he misses a couple of shots. Up until the Finals he had been having a pretty strong post season.
I didn't get why Doc didn't put in Powe down the stretch when Garnett
was stinking the place up.
philabramoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:19 PM   #52
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Because Powe was a blind squirrel who found in acorn in game one that is why. Powe is a nice evergy off the bench but I would not rely on him to bail you out in crunch time. Besides a mediocre KG is still better than Leon Powe on most days. It is not like he has deon anything since game one to really warrant more playing time than he is getting.

Someone forgot to tell the Lakers the game started at 9:00.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:07 AM   #53
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Man, the Celtics left no doubt who the best team in the league is last night. That was a major league butt whuppin' handed out by Boston last night and KG stepped up when it mattered the most.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:57 AM   #54
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
I don't know if LA goes down in 6 or 7 but when it happens I expect the margin to be 30 +
nice call predicting the blowout Buck!:thumbsup2:
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:08 AM   #55
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedon1970 View Post
nice call predicting the blowout Buck!:thumbsup2:
Oh no.

I think I just made myself Sue's tip hotline on point spreads.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:37 AM   #56
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by philabramoff View Post

You're kidding right? without Garnett, this team is a 4th seed at best. Kid is a beast, and showed it last night. Hadn't seen him smile in a while, that was good to see last night.

Has the East turned into the better conference (top end wise)? At the very least, it's catching up.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:09 PM   #57
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I'd say Boston and Detroit are at least as good as anyone in the west but after that nobody else in the east would compete in the west. After those two Cleveland was the only other team in the east with a winning record against the west and they were only 17-13. You have to get down to the 12th best team out west to find someone with a sub-.500 record against the east. Dallas and Denver were the only Western Conference playoff teams that did not win at least 20 of the 30 games they played against eastern teams.

The east is slowly but surely closing the gap bit-by-bit each year. Teams like Orlando and Cleveland both have stud players to build around and just need to get the right talent around them to be able to compete with the big dogs.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:47 PM   #58
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Good call, Buck :thumbup:

I knew they'd be in better shape with Perkins in there but I wasn't sure if they'd handle the pressure. Well...that answers that.

If there was one player who I thought was crucial to this series, I'd say Posey. He brought that same key play he displayed on the Heat. Kinda like a (healthy) Ginobli did for the Spurs.

So much for the 'Steamroller' from LA. I'm still baffled why so many pundits had their bench being the big edge in this series. It seemed obvious that the Celt bench was more experienced but I guess a lot of the Talking Heads were drinking too much of the Koolaid.

I hope this, once & for all, puts the insanity of The Hype. (I know...it won't ) The Celts were magnificent on the defensive end but that was no excuse for #24 to go invisible for long stretches. He didn't even want to touch the ball at times, instead just getting rid of it if he got it at all. MJ , whether he was shooting well or not, wouldn't have sat back while the rest of the Keystone Cops were throwing away any chance they had. I guess he didn't want to pose for any 'posters'.

No D, no Championship. PJ knew this but seemed to hope that the triangle & Bryant would smooth over the rough edges. He only has 9 rings cuz of defense, so who knows what he was thinking. This LA squad is built on youth, quickness, & aggressiveness. Nice maybe for a a regular season run but a jumbled mess come playoff time against a team that actually plays D. It was obvious it was all smoke & mirrors.

I wonder if this was history repeating itself...:tsk:

PJ & General Custer seem to have something in common.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:46 PM   #59
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

The call was easy Tark. When you're dealing with a gutless overhyped coward as your team's leader...it's simple to make those kinda calls.

Boston's bench surprised me as well as Rondo's play throughout the series.

Good call on Posey. Him and Pierce guarded Kobe very well.

I see no changes for LA as far as the roster goes.

Ariza and Mihm have player options so we know they'll stick around. Turiaf, Karl and Mbenga are the only other free agents on the roster. Turiaf will probably come back but the other two are probably toast.

Aside from moving Kobe (if there is a God) it would be nice to see Buss do something at the 3. Rad, Odom and Luke make a combined $26 million. That's 1/3 of total salary. While Luke can sometimes play the 4 that's a ton of dough for one position where you really don't even have a productive/consistent starter.

They'll stand pat and insert Bynum. That's about it.

In any event, another year where a HOFer at the 4 or 5 hoists the trophy while the guard/small forward superstar is denied.

As it stands now, we add Boston to the list of teams with a chance to win it all in 2009...

Best chances (alphabetical order)
Boston
Detroit
Phoenix
San Antonio

Have to keep our eye on
Houston
LA Lakers
Orlando

Other than that, it's a closed league...right now.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:18 PM   #60
trayhezy
All-Star Player

trayhezy is on a distinguished road

Is there anyone in the league softer the Gasol. The guy spent more time laying on the floor than he did upright.

The whole town here is having a great time on sports radio and I can't blame them. There was too much talk of how Memphis "gift wrapped" a title for the Lakers and it lasted longer than most would have expected. On the other hand I must admit some satisfaction listening to the announcers and pundits talk about him needing to play "stronger" and "tougher". It is like these people have not been listening.....we have been telling you that he CAN NOT play that way, it is just not in him. As long as it is a finesse game he is a great player but otherwise..............
until I'm Tiger dead
trayhezy is offline   Reply With Quote