Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge > Politics & Religion

Old 07-21-2008, 10:58 PM   #1
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough
Default Americans are calling for new solutions, and "BIG GOVERNMENT."

So, we always hear that America is a "center-right" country when it comes to economics.

Is that really true?

According to a new study by the Rockefeller Foundation and Time Magazine, the answer is no.

Quote:
Americans want to work hard and improve their family’s economic standing (80% believe they must be responsible for their financial security), but they are also calling out for a hand-up, rather than a hand-out, and are asking for new products and policy solutions to reinforce their efforts: 70% say more government programs should help those struggling due to current economic conditions. Americans support major government investments that create jobs – including public-works projects (82%), new measures to improve energy efficiency (84%), and initiatives to expand access to high-quality health care (77%). Americans also favor investments that make it easier for people to work – for example, paid family leave (68%) and government funded child care (66%).
This is what we commonly hear referred to as "big government."

The truth is, this type of government isn't any larger than the current government, it simply allocates funds more responsibly. The government that most Americans favor is a government that invests in people and progress, instead of big business or overseas occupation.

This study would make sense, considering the fact that Americans do better under "big government," Democratic Presidents:

Quote:
The Census Bureau has tracked the economic fortunes of affluent, middle-class and poor American families for six decades. These tabulations reveal a wide partisan disparity in income growth. The real incomes of middle-class families grew more than twice as fast under Democratic presidents as they did under Republican presidents. Even more remarkable, the real incomes of working-poor families (at the 20th percentile of the income distribution) grew six times as fast when Democrats held the White House. Only the incomes of affluent families were relatively impervious to partisan politics, growing robustly under Democrats and Republicans alike.
The economic policies of the Democratic party are the policies that the vast majority of Americans want, and the economic polices that help the vast majority of Americans.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:23 AM   #2
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Now if only the Democrats would adopt social and moral policies that the vast majority of Americans could stomach, never mind actually want.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:51 AM   #3
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Now if only the Democrats would adopt social and moral policies that the vast majority of Americans could stomach, never mind actually want.
Oh yeah, like equal rights for homosexuals, a woman's right to choose, and equality for minorities...

It's really tough to stomach those morals...

Don't worry, the rest of American will catch up to the liberal social policies. Just like they did with racial equality, women's right to vote, and outlawing sodamy laws.

It usually takes Americans a while to drop their bigotry.

I know it's "tough to stomach" the idea of dropping prejudices, but Americans will come around.

Think Fresh.

Last edited by CKFresh; 07-24-2008 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:02 AM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Remind me again which party has had more scandals in terms of character and ethics the past few years? I seem to recall a Republican member of congress looking for some man-love in an airport bathroom and another one embroiled in a scandal where he was soliciting good times from young male pages on the hill. Or, how about Cheney and his cronies exposing a CIA operative? Or, the misrepresentation of known intelligence to justify going into Iraq.

The notion that the Republican party is so much more pious and ehtically and morally sound than the Democrats is an insane notion. I am not going to say the Democrats don't have any skeletons in their closet but please do not expect me to believe the Republicans are working with a clean slate here because it is so far from the truth.

They may try to preach morality and family values but they fail to practice it which is far worse in my mind.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:46 AM   #5
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Fresh, no one is saying a woman cannot choose what to do with "her" body, but who speaks for the child she is killing? When a pregnant woman is killed, 2 charges of murder are filed, one for her, one for the unborn child.
As I have said on many occasions, I do not oppose abortion in all cases, but those cases should be medically necessary, only.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:49 AM   #6
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

Doublee, I agree with what you say here, but I seem to recall Barney Frank running a homosexual prostitution ring out of his office, or at least that was the accusation which was never denied.

Catman
Old 07-24-2008, 11:52 AM   #7
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Fresh, no one is saying a woman cannot choose what to do with "her" body, but who speaks for the child she is killing? When a pregnant woman is killed, 2 charges of murder are filed, one for her, one for the unborn child.
As I have said on many occasions, I do not oppose abortion in all cases, but those cases should be medically necessary, only.
My ponit was, most Americans are pro-choice. ANthony was trying to say that the Democrats "morals" aren't in line with America. I am proving that they are.

Quote:
Doublee, I agree with what you say here, but I seem to recall Barney Frank running a homosexual prostitution ring out of his office, or at least that was the accusation which was never denied.
How many years ago was that? How many children did Barney Frank try to have sex with?

Big difference.

Think Fresh.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:59 AM   #8
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

What difference does it make, Fresh? The point is that Democrats have their share of problems as well. No one party is immune from these issues. Both are equally at fault.
No difference at all.

Catman
Old 07-24-2008, 12:02 PM   #9
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
What difference does it make, Fresh? The point is that Democrats have their share of problems as well. No one party is immune from these issues. Both are equally at fault.
No difference at all.
I agree. I actually didn't bring up the scandals.

I was more focused on the moral/social issues that the Democrats advocate in terms of policy, which are much more in-line with main-stream America than the policies of the bigotted religious-right-republican party.

Think Fresh.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:34 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

catman, I don't disagree with what you are saying. As I said in my post I am not about to make the claim that the Dems do not have any skeletons in their closet. My issue was with the notion that the GOP is party for the moral majority when they have their fair share of moral and ethical issues with their candidates and elected party. Heck, if I am not mistaken I believe Marion Berry was a democrat who was elected despite being a known crackhead.

Ultimately, my point is that the GOP can harp about family values and the moral majority all they like but they come off as looking hypocritical when these same folks get caught in some of the scandals they have been caught in. Those policies that promote morality, family values, etc. seem less and less appealing when those that are preaching them are not practicing them.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 02:25 AM   #11
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Well look at what the last Great Leader From The Left - Franklin Delano Roosevelt - did. Or, more to the point, did not do:

He didn't lift a finger to reform racial segregation in the South - even as his own wife constantly nagged him to do so. And look at the St. Louis affair in 1939: The St. Louis was a German ocean liner, carrying more than 900 Jewish refugees seeking asylum, that hovered off the coast of Florida for weeks, while FDR pondered over whether to let the ship dock in America. After several prominent Southern Democrats threatened to bolt the party in the following year's election, FDR caved in and the ship sailed back to Hamburg. As it turned out, all but 28 of its passengers died in the Holocaust.

With the convenient benefit of hindsight from a distance of 70 years, Roosevelt can be accused of "cowardice" - but had he been "brave" in either incident, Social Security and a host of other New Deal programs would not exist today, because the Republicans would have swept back into power in the next election and repealed them all - and he knew it.

FDR had enough common sense not to let the perfect crowd out the good - and look at the colossal amount of good he ended up doing as a result.

Last edited by Anthony; 07-25-2008 at 04:41 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:41 AM   #12
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

The Democratic party of 70 years ago is nothing like the Democratic party of today...

What's next? Are you going to mention the moral fiber of the Whig Party?

Think Fresh.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:20 PM   #13
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

How dare you use the past in an argument, Anthony. This is the modern world...what happened in olden times is simply irrelevant. I suggest you close the history book and flip on CNN.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:32 PM   #14
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard the Lionheart View Post
How dare you use the past in an argument, Anthony. This is the modern world...what happened in olden times is simply irrelevant. I suggest you close the history book and flip on CNN.
His analogies are offbeat and irrelevant 99% of the time. They provide no moral/social/legal redemption in context of the conversation. It's stat hunting with a story behind it implying modern attitudes are the same today as yesteryear or vice versa.

Personally, I find the posts to be zany.

Just take a look at his latest diatribe in the national emergency thread.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:59 PM   #15
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
Personally, I find the posts to be zany.

Zanniness in the SCMB Political Forum?!?! :lol:

When even this place is not safe, where can we hide?