Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge > Politics & Religion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2008, 12:32 AM   #31
catman
Humble MLB Moderator
 
catman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 9,325
catman will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
Perhaps.

My question would be: why does the Army Corps of Engineers say that the funding from the federal government was insufficient?

They have said that if they had received the requested funds, much of the damage could have been prevented.

The Army Corps of Engineers had no complaints about funding until the Bush administration.

What do you know that they don't?
They did receive half (actually much more than half) of the funds they requested. The city of New Orleans wasted the vast majority of the money due to corruption and "private" projects.
__________________
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:13 AM   #32
CKFresh
Most Hated Member
 
CKFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 7,377
CKFresh will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
They did receive half (actually much more than half) of the funds they requested. The city of New Orleans wasted the vast majority of the money due to corruption and "private" projects.
Any proof?
__________________
Do yourself a favor, become your own savior.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:30 AM   #33
buckeyefan78
Happy Land
 
buckeyefan78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 12,861
buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default

I should pull this thread up for my class when I address the 2-party system's passage of laws to keep other parties out of the political process.

I think Tark and me represent the people in this thread.

Cat represents Party A and CK reps Party B.



But let's get back to The Game here and tell me who to fault now. Or better yet...tell these two. They look like they have the time to play the blame game.



(tick tock...Gustav approaches)
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:52 AM   #34
CKFresh
Most Hated Member
 
CKFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 7,377
CKFresh will become famous soon enough
Default

Listen Buck.

I'm not one to say that the Democrats are perfect. I will admit that they deserve some blame.

I just prefer a slap in the face to a kick in the nuts. Call me crazy.
__________________
Do yourself a favor, become your own savior.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:58 PM   #35
catman
Humble MLB Moderator
 
catman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 9,325
catman will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
Any proof?
Yes Fresh, there is plenty of proof. It has been posted here in the past. I do not feel the need to dig it up just for you to ignore it.
__________________
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:59 PM   #36
catman
Humble MLB Moderator
 
catman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 9,325
catman will become famous soon enough
Default

My point is that plenty of money has been sent to the city of New Orleans for levee maintanence. It has not been used properly.
__________________
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:40 PM   #37
buckeyefan78
Happy Land
 
buckeyefan78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 12,861
buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
Listen Buck.

I'm not one to say that the Democrats are perfect. I will admit that they deserve some blame.

I just prefer a slap in the face to a kick in the nuts. Call me crazy.
In this particular case the levees have been in need of repair/reconstruction for over 75 years.

Anyone trying to assign percentages of blame to either party is missing the big picture.

You use that analogy of a slap in the face to a kick in the nuts as if it represents something noble when in fact all it has ever been used for is assigning blame (as you and cat are doing) or to take power.

So I ask you this: scroll back down to my picture and tell me what those folks received. Was that a slap in the face or a kick in the nuts?
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:42 PM   #38
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker
 
Tarkus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: In The Wind...
Posts: 11,848
Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
In this particular case the levees have been in need of repair/reconstruction for over 75 years.

Anyone trying to assign percentages of blame to either party is missing the big picture.
Amen...

Quote:
You use that analogy of a slap in the face to a kick in the nuts as if it represents something noble when in fact all it has ever been used for is assigning blame (as you and cat are doing) or to take power.

So I ask you this: scroll back down to my picture and tell me what those folks received. Was that a slap in the face or a kick in the nuts?
For as long as that's been going on, I think it's a case of getting their nuts ripped off & then getting slapped in the face with 'em...
__________________
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:11 PM   #39
CKFresh
Most Hated Member
 
CKFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 7,377
CKFresh will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
So I ask you this: scroll back down to my picture and tell me what those folks received. Was that a slap in the face or a kick in the nuts?
Kick in the nuts.

There were hundreds of natural disasters (some more powerful than Katrina) during the Clinton administration. Many of those people were slapped in the face, but none resulted in the kick to the nuts that Katrina was.

The "lesser of two evils" saves lives. The "lesser of two evils" keeps more people out of poverty. The "lesser of two evils" alienates fewer overseas.

It would be nice if we could elect perfect candidates, but in the meantime I'm going to vote for the guy who will save more lives, help the "lower class," and alienate fewer people.
__________________
Do yourself a favor, become your own savior.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:23 PM   #40
buckeyefan78
Happy Land
 
buckeyefan78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 12,861
buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
Kick in the nuts.

There were hundreds of natural disasters (some more powerful than Katrina) during the Clinton administration. Many of those people were slapped in the face, but none resulted in the kick to the nuts that Katrina was.

The "lesser of two evils" saves lives. The "lesser of two evils" keeps more people out of poverty. The "lesser of two evils" alienates fewer overseas.

It would be nice if we could elect perfect candidates, but in the meantime I'm going to vote for the guy who will save more lives, help the "lower class," and alienate fewer people.
I guess that's where we'll disagree CK. Every time you vote for one of the two major parties you actually kill people.

I don't know how much clearer this Katrina example can make that fact stand out.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:02 PM   #41
CKFresh
Most Hated Member
 
CKFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 7,377
CKFresh will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
I guess that's where we'll disagree CK. Every time you vote for one of the two major parties you actually kill people.

I don't know how much clearer this Katrina example can make that fact stand out.
Katrina is a perfect example of my point. With Kerry in office, fewer people would have died/been misplaced. I can say that with 100% confidence.

If voting for a third party was a realistic alternative you'd have a point. Unfortunately, it is not a realistic alternative.
__________________
Do yourself a favor, become your own savior.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:04 PM   #42
buckeyefan78
Happy Land
 
buckeyefan78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 12,861
buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
Katrina is a perfect example of my point. With Kerry in office, fewer people would have died/been misplaced. I can say that with 100% confidence.

If voting for a third party was a realistic alternative you'd have a point. Unfortunately, it is not a realistic alternative.
You're hopeless CK. Really.

75 years the levees have been in need of repair/reconstruction. That means people of both parties on all levels failed for 3/4ths of a century.

Picking a starting point...Kerry... is nothing.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:06 PM   #43
CKFresh
Most Hated Member
 
CKFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 7,377
CKFresh will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
You're hopeless CK. Really.

75 years the levees have been in need of repair/reconstruction. That means people of both parties on all levels failed for 3/4ths of a century.

Picking a starting point...Kerry is nothing.
It's not only about the levees.

How about the appoint of Mike Brown (a horse trainer) to the head of FEMA?

You don't need to be so condescending Buck. Just because you disagree with me doesn't make me a moron, or closed-minded, or "hopeless."

I respect your views, I wish you would afford me the same respect.
__________________
Do yourself a favor, become your own savior.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:29 PM   #44
buckeyefan78
Happy Land
 
buckeyefan78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 12,861
buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
It's not only about the levees.

How about the appoint of Mike Brown (a horse trainer) to the head of FEMA?

You don't need to be so condescending Buck. Just because you disagree with me doesn't make me a moron, or closed-minded, or "hopeless."

I respect your views, I wish you would afford me the same respect.
The fact I'm tryin' to slap ya around a little means I think there could be hope for ya CK.

Take it as a compliment.



Of course it isn't just about the levees but the whole PROCESS (which entails all actions of the government including appointments like Mike Brown) for 75 YEARS was a failure.

That means...like a broken record...both parties failed miserably at SEVERAL points throughout the 20th century ON ALL LEVELS.

The reason it works me up a little is that by not recognizing this you're STILL playing politics with people who had already been living a life of hell before they were murdered by the government.

When you do this...THAT tells me you've seen or known nothing (to reference the MLK thread) of hardship. If you did, you'd have some apathy, outrage or some other emotion aside from political grandstanding.

So you'll have to excuse me when I chide you for such an attitude as I wasn't afforded such an option by my life experience. I understand this gets into a "biggest balls" contest real quick CK and I know that's how a lot of people take it when I tell my stories in here (which get ignored) but I simply won't tolerate it. Because here's the deal CK...EVERYTIME someone takes this stance...like you are...you discredit/don't recognize the plight of the disadvantaged. That angers me. It angers me greatly. Because let me tell you something about the TRULY disadvantaged in this nation trying to make it. It isn't about having stuff or who is to blame or getting rich...it's about folks recognizing your plight and having the OPPORTUNITY to die on your own terms...like the rest of the folks in this nation have. That's all they really want CK when it comes down to it.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:33 PM   #45
Ellis
gymnopedist
 
Ellis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hyde Park
Posts: 8,140
Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
The reason it works me up a little is that by not recognizing this you're STILL playing politics with people who had already been living a life of hell before they were murdered by the government.
Buck, your voice is way too passive. Try: the government murdered them.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
babbling, waste-of-time


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Poverty of Philosophy CKFresh Politics & Religion 24 07-10-2008 04:41 PM
The Falling Man Ellis Politics & Religion 11 06-15-2008 12:51 AM
Our Government is Broken - How to Fix it CKFresh Politics & Religion 18 08-08-2007 11:56 PM
Get To Know As Many People As You Can Ellis The Lounge 24 04-12-2007 10:47 AM
Medical Marijuana: Yes or No? Tarkus The Lounge 23 06-26-2005 01:05 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:17 AM.