Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge > Politics & Religion

Old 09-02-2008, 02:44 PM   #76
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
Yes, it is the most powerful elected office in Amerca.

As for 3rd party success, it's been very lmiited, and mostly on state or local levels.

If you are talking about electoral success, I think anyone here could take the time to look up the limited number of elected third party candidates on the national level.

If you are talking about "success" in terms of influencing elections or policy, then that is an entirely different discussion.

Please Prof. Buck, enlighten this ethnocentric punk
You show glimmers of hope like this and it's only gonna make me work ya over harder.

Now, my next question would be this:

How in the world isn't influencing elections or policy a function of political power worthy enough to constitute your recognition?

I don't wanna cry ethnocentrism again but elected officials and their parties aren't the end all/be all word on political power.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:48 PM   #77
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
How in the world isn't influencing elections or policy a function of political power worthy enough to constitute your recognition?
I didn't say they don't constitue my recognition. My main point has been that I FEEL my vote is better served with the lesser of two evils, since it translate into elected officials.

Quote:
I don't wanna cry ethnocentrism again but elected officials and their parties aren't the end all/be all word on political power.
Of course not. But they are the MOST powerful.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:59 PM   #78
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I didn't say they don't constitue my recognition. My main point has been that I FEEL my vote is better served with the lesser of two evils, since it translate into elected officials.

Of course not. But they are the MOST powerful.
I'm not sure the two parties are the most powerful institutions of positive change in this nation. In fact, I'd argue that distinction falls to 3rd parties, private institutions and private individuals.

The 2-party system is in direct competition against the goals of those entities which should constitute the government (the people) in a democracy...representative or parliamentary or whatever.

Power isn't indicative of progress in this sense.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:03 PM   #79
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
I'm not sure the two parties are the most powerful institutions of positive change in this nation. In fact, I'd argue that distinction falls to 3rd parties, private institutions and private individuals.

The 2-party system is in direct competition against the goals of those entities which should constitute the government (the people) in a democracy...representative or parliamentary or whatever.

Power isn't indicative of progress in this sense.
I would agree with you.

The two major parties ARE the most powerful, but that doesn't mean they are the best institutions for progress.

My contention has always been that one of the parties (Dem) is "less bad" than the other (GOP). That doesn't mean that I like the system.

Think Fresh.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:15 PM   #80
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

If you agree with me why would you empower a party that works against the goals of the people?
Old 09-02-2008, 03:34 PM   #81
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
If you agree with me why would you empower a party that works against the goals of the people?
Because the other party is even worse. Not voting for the Democrats is voting for the Republicans.

Think Fresh.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:44 PM   #82
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Because the other party is even worse. Not voting for the Democrats is voting for the Republicans.
Wow, I see the light now.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:46 PM   #83
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Wow, I see the light now.
Buck, we've run around this circle several times...

And every time, you insult me.

Sorry, not everyone sees the world the way you do, that doesn't make me stupid, or ethnocentric.

You don't think that either party is "worse" than the other... I do. Try to see things through someone elses eyes for once.

Think Fresh.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:51 PM   #84
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Just bustin' balls there CK.

Relax. Don't lose your temper. Learn to be patient.

I'm an expert on said subjects.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:53 PM   #85
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Just bustin' balls there CK.

Relax. Don't lose your temper. Learn to be patient.

I'm an expert on said subjects.

:thumbsup2:

Sorry.

Having said that, I just realized I made an assumption about you without ever asking your actual opinion.

You don't have to say WHICH one, but do you think one party is worse for America than the other?

Think Fresh.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:56 PM   #86
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
You don't have to say WHICH one, but do you think one party is worse for America than the other?
To a lot of people, CK, that's like asking which is better for America? The Bloods or the Crips?

Answer...neither cuz they're both for themselves.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:59 PM   #87
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
To a lot of people, CK, that's like asking which is better for America? The Bloods or the Crips?

Answer...neither cuz they're both for themselves.
I understand that.

But I also think there are a lot of the disenchanted voters who dislike both parties, but do see one as worse than the other.

Even using your analogy, one could argue, "the bloods kill more than the crips," or "the crips only sell weed and the bloods sell heroin."

Therefore, one might be "less bad," than the other.

Think Fresh.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:06 PM   #88
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

But that's a secondary issue...

At the rate you're going by choosing the 'lessor of 2 evils", there'll never be a ghost of a chance for change cuz you're settling for what the Elite are offering.

Besides that, when you choose the lessor, the one you're stuck with is no longer. They are now the worst. Then the cycle continues...

Right now the only change that happens is in political fodder used to entice voters, not change for the people at the forefront. & before you argue it's for the people, look closely at the contradictions across the board for each party before you get the wool pulled over your eyes on an issue here or there like Heath Care.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:11 PM   #89
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
:thumbsup2:

Sorry.

Having said that, I just realized I made an assumption about you without ever asking your actual opinion.

The one with rich people in it.

(That's one f-uckin' good answer if I do say so myself )
Old 09-02-2008, 04:14 PM   #90
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
But that's a secondary issue...

At the rate you're going by choosing the 'lessor of 2 evils", there'll never be a ghost of a chance for change cuz you're settling for what the Elite are offering.
What are my other options? Not voting, or voting for someone who can't win. Either way, nothing changes.

Quote:
Besides that, when you choose the lessor, the one you're stuck with is no longer. They are now the worst. Then the cycle continues...
I'm not sure if that is necessarily true - it is probably true, but not definitely true.

I still believe that the system can be changed little by little. In my view, Barack Obama is better than George W. Bush. If he is elected, and people see a little change, maybe they will elect somebody better than him - and so on.

Call me naive, I know you will, but I don't think that is such a far fetched idea.

Quote:
Right now the only change that happens is in political fodder used to entice voters, not change for the people at the forefront. & before you argue it's for the people, look closely at the contradictions across the board for each party before you get the wool pulled over your eyes on an issue here or there like Heath Care.
So what is your solution?

Secondly I would ask - do you think any president, or senator, or any elected person - has ever done anything to improve the lives of Americans?

Think Fresh.