Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Tennis

Old 08-12-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
Angus Saul
Angus Saul

Angus Saul is on a distinguished road
Question Giants Crumble in Montreal - Who's got what it takes?

I think after Wimbledon, and Novak Djokovic usurping Rafa's top spot, we all expected a bit of a fightback from the Spaniard. But with the season resuming at the Canada Masters in Montreal, the Mallorcan native stumbled in his second round match at the Rogers Cup.

But it hasn't just been him, Andy Murray, the defending champion also fell at the first hurdle, and Roger Federer, former world number one, made it only one round further before losing out to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.

With this in mind, can anyone challenge Djokovic for the Rogers Cup this year? What do you think?
Angus Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:47 AM   #2
Mertov
All-Star Player

Mertov is on a distinguished road

Angus,

Djokovic rolled over Monfils.

He is playing against Tsonga today, and that is the only guy who has some remote chance of challenging Djokovic. Fish vs. Tipsarevic should be an entertaining match in the other semifinal, however I doubt either of them could give Djokovic any trouble.

Mertov
Mertov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:21 AM   #3
Angus Saul
Angus Saul

Quite right,

Tsonga is the only player left in the draw with a winning head-to-head against the world number one. And it's a staggering 5-3, with a 5-2 lead on hard courts. But that last victory came a year and a half ago at the Australian Open.

Tsonga has the firepower and the agression to dispatch Djokovic, and, for the first time in a while, he's running high on confidence, after his semi-final Wimbledon run in July. It's really a case of whether he keeps it together - the mental side of his game is Tsonga's main weakness. But the way he beat Federer in round three? Outstanding.

I expect Fish to take out Tipsarevic without too much hassle, he's enjoying a good run of form late in his career, but with a 6-0 losing streak against Djokovic, man of the moment, I don't fancy his chances if he makes the final on Sunday.

Angus
Old 08-13-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
Angus Saul
Angus Saul

Fish into the final - his third in three outings. He's had to play well to get to the final, but he will certainly be facing an uphill struggle against either Novak Djokovic or Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.

The consistent performances of Fish do speak in his favour though, and we could have an interesting final on our hands.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
Mertov
All-Star Player

Tsonga played a pretty solid set and still lost 4/6. Down a break in the second now, it will be very difficult. Djokovic is playing like an animal.

I know Tsonga has been without a coach since the beginning of April and has had his best run of results since 2008. Interesting..

I am very happy for Mardy Fish. It would be nice for him to go into US Open with a ton of confidence.

Mert
Old 08-19-2011, 10:23 AM   #6
Angus Saul
Angus Saul

Congratulations to Novak Djokovic who takes the Rogers Cup in a tight three setter against Mardy Fish.

Fish won`t be too down and out though - he took the match down to the wire, which isnīt something everyone can say.

Roll on Cincinnati!
Old 08-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #7
Mertov
All-Star Player

Angus, you are 100% right. Fish is still rolling..

He took out Nadal in straight sets in the quarters in Cincinnati. Federer is out too.

Will it be another Djokovic vs. Fish final? Andy Murray and Thomas Berdych are the other semi-finalists..

Mert
Old 08-20-2011, 07:21 PM   #8
Mertov
All-Star Player

No Fish magic this time around.. Murray took him out in the semis.

It's Djokovic vs. Murray in the finals. I doubt anyone is picking Murray for an upset.

Mert
Old 08-21-2011, 07:37 AM   #9
Angus Saul
Angus Saul

Post Go Fish, Mardy!

As a Brit, and more importantly, a Scot, Iīm obviously rooting for Murray. Itīd be nice for him to beat the man he came so close to taking apart in Rome, and the one who has kept him from an elusive Grand Slam title.

But heīs going to have to buck his ideas up - he didnīt exactly play a blinder against Gilles Simon, and he just edged victory against in-form Fish who stunningly beat Nadal in the quarters. In a titanic tiebreaker, Murray prevailed, the mentally stronger of the two.

In spite of two disappointing defeats against very good players, Fish has made two deep runs in as many weeks and is going to be some force to reckon with at Flushing Meadows. Look out!

Last edited by Angus Saul; 08-21-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #10
Angus Saul
Angus Saul

In response to my original question at the strat of the thread almost two weeks ago, I believe we have our answer.

Andy Murray.

Few would have expected the Scot to come away with the title after his well below par performance at the Rogers Cup last week, but today he seemed switched on from the word 'go!'.

Of course, Djokovic retired injured, citing a shoulder injury. He certainly complained of it before the match, following his semi-final victory over Tomas Berdych. I am a little disappointed in the world number one though - he didn't look himself, and the body language was all wrong.

I'm glad Murray came away with a win, and surely it can only boost his chances of doing well at the US Open, but at the same time, I hope Djokovic doesn't go back into a phase where he regularly retires from matches - it's not good form, especially not in a final.

Maybe i'm wrong though. 59 matches since January and few breaks to boot will surely wear down the body. Let's just hope he's OK for the US Open.

I think the thread has wrapped itself up quite nicely, with my question answered.

Just so you all know, the US Open will commence on Monday 29th August at Flushing Meadows in New York. The draws and order of play are yet to be released.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:48 AM   #11
luke broadbent
Grizzled Veteran

luke broadbent is on a distinguished road

I agree that it's bad for someone to retire from a final but I imagine he one eye on the US Open.

Despite the slight concerns over his health going into it I find it hard to back anyone other than Djokovic for the US Open.
luke broadbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:27 PM   #12
Angus Saul
Angus Saul

Yeah, it's hard to bet against him.

And, for those that weren't up to date, Djokovic has stated he expects to be playing at Flushing Meadows next week, despite claiming he was 'exhausted'.

Play begins on Monday 29th, and so he will hopefully be fit to play. For his first round opponent, it might be a shrewd move to try and run Djokovic ragged. Nole is one of the most versatile players on tour, but if he's struggling with fitness, keep him on court as long as possible and you've got a chance.

Dolgopolov would be an interesting match up. He taunts and leers at players with a wild, untamed game and he might be one to really mess with Djokovic's game and form.

Look at the Australian Open this year. Murray was in excellent form until he played the Ukrainian and then fell apart, barely scraping through against both Dolgopolov and Ferrer, and then he didn't have the energy to face in-form Djokovic. What it might have been like had Djokovic played the Ukrainian instead?