Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 12-25-2011, 12:00 AM   #1
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about
Default The Last Rites...

Stop in....

Show that Father Time is just woofin;...

Ignore the obvious decline of MB civilization...

Don't attempt to fix the SC un-fixable, just realize the focus wasn't where you wanted it to be but realize where you are is where the focus really is...

Bay at the moon if you feel the need but don't make it your mantra...

Realize that each time you show up, you are SC Legend, at least to the ones that matter...

Re-write the standard of 'net BS & show you're beyond real by adding to your legacy with each post ...

Remember, it's not how many know you were here but how many important ones knew you were...

***I'll start the first post, following this lead-in...

Old 12-25-2011, 12:10 AM   #2
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

OK, Marc...

Time to understand what the difference is between priorities...

You have a priority based on the writing side of SC but refuse to address the MB posters who also read those articles.

Grow a thicker skin (like you did to un-ban myself/Buck) & un-ban Mush. Realize not everyone will like you, like I've come to realize about myself ('net/ real life).

It costs you nothing to relax the reigns but if anything, will allow a modicum of 'net respect, however grudgingly.

Damn it...

We're a dysfunctional family at best & are as important to SC Legacy as the writing.

Do it, Marc. Be all that you can be & show you don't need the ban button to protect SC...
Old 12-26-2011, 08:51 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
OK, Marc...

Time to understand what the difference is between priorities...

You have a priority based on the writing side of SC but refuse to address the MB posters who also read those articles.

Grow a thicker skin (like you did to un-ban myself/Buck) & un-ban Mush. Realize not everyone will like you, like I've come to realize about myself ('net/ real life).

It costs you nothing to relax the reigns but if anything, will allow a modicum of 'net respect, however grudgingly.

Damn it...

We're a dysfunctional family at best & are as important to SC Legacy as the writing.

Do it, Marc. Be all that you can be & show you don't need the ban button to protect SC...
Banned or unbanned, it didn't seem to make a difference with buck or mush. Mush's terrible attitude only made matters worse. Do you think it's okay for a poster to be able to curse obscenities and tell me to F off? Shouldn't there be repercussions for someone's actions? And why does the "old guard" think they should be above the rules/law? I don't care if you have 5 posts or 5,000, if you curse me out in the way mush did, there are consequences.

I'm not trying to be high and mighty. But look, there are rules, and everyone should follow them. And please, the rules are extremely fair and not asking much: no spamming or personal attacks is basically all it comes down to. It makes no difference if they are banned or not, because mush and buck clearly had no intention of contributing here in a positive way anyway. So I don't really get your post coming out of the blue ordering me to unban someone who explicitly and profanely attacked me.

Sports Central is about providing intelligent sports fans a platform to have their viewpoints heard. It's part magazine, part blog. It's got an editing process, so it is more polished and high quality than your average blog, but it also allow comments from readers, so it's interactive like a blog. Hell, the site pre-dates blogs and even Google. The SCMB is an extension of SC, but SC at its core is about high quality content. So let's get that straight.

Last edited by Marc; 12-26-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:43 AM   #4
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

*sigh*

As usual, you miss the point...

On one hand, I appreciate that you took the time to even respond. On the other, I'm chagrined to read "ordering me to unban someone" especially since I have no power to do so nor have any vested interest to tailor this site to my needs/desires.

Life is just about 'learning' about oneself...strengths/weaknesses..thru time. Things that are constantly in a state of flux as one grows. The SC MB was one of a major priority in your youth but now has fallen to the wayside as the blog side has grown.

Great...life/progress in motion as it should & always will be.

However, my post..."out of the blue"...had depth that you didn't see. It was more about not severing ties to a side that was important/useful due to the fact that it's not necessary in any way shape or form.

This isn't about anything that will create a negative aspect to SC nor will it start a wave of civil unrest since the 'stats' showing active members is as trustworthy as the validity of voters lists in major elections.

The idea/premise I thru out there was that somewhere down the line, just like bell bottoms/other retro things that come back into vogue, the SC MB just may have a resurgence that still has connections to the beginning...all at no cost to you except a little understanding that you, yes...you, can be a smarmy, over-the-top, young pain in the ass.

Uh ho...is that grounds for banning?

How about that I know basically what you think of me yet I don't make occasionally stopping in about that & only that? It's about staying in the moment/staying in context & not making things so unbelievably self important.

I knew you as a young kid, gave you respect for what you were trying to do & stayed age appropriate in convos for your effort ...knew you as a young adult who at times was a pain in the ass with no experience to be a part of situations that he tried to force himself into yet spent the time, like now, to explain a POV.

& now have seen/read of things that you are going/growing thru which I give respect for but still see that 'my sandbox/my rules' attitude that I guarantee is something that a person is better off being without. It's that life's lesson of learning restraint/working thru that which is invaluable.

It's not about having the power to 'push the button' but learning when it's really necessary. Rules are important but c'mon...this is as far from a 'rules' scenario as one can get. There's literally no more that 4-6 actual live members here.

You know, when one remembers in the past you stating how you wanted the SC MB to be an important, growing part of SC & fast forwarding to you stating, in that smarmy tone you like to throw out there, of how MBs are dead & any SC members coming in/posting more than you, should get a life, you shouldn't be surprised to be told to F off on occasion.

So unless you're trying to sever POVs from the past that may not show you in a favorable light, my post was just about letting life go on especially due to the fact that life evolves & I really doubt that, given the opportunity, everyone/anyone still here, will hold the same view they do now, down the road.

Those convos then would probably be one Hell of a convo/'time capsule' opportunity,

As SC history shows, I've spent too much time explaining something that will probably be for naught but hey...when I come on the 'net to post, I've already put in more hours in a day living life than most will read about on blogs. It's a mild form of 'release' I guess you could say. That's why there's never been any 'fear' of 'what may come' when it comes to content.

It is what it is & will bring what it brings...

But for the record, I don't 'hate' you, Marc, nor are so consumed by the thought of what this or any post across the web I've thrown out there will come to.

Really...hope the best for any & all I've come across...

Old 12-31-2011, 10:25 PM   #5
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I'm on board for this reclamation project.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:20 AM   #6
Marc
Administrator

I don't hate you or buck, either, Tark, and it's touching that you care enough to make such thoughtful posts on this matter. If you guys are onboard with helping bring the SCMB back, I'm with you.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

I'd be on board, although it would certainly be an uphill battle.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #8
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

I'm not crazy to the point of thinking that we can do an immediate 180 especially since nowadays it's more twitter oriented across the web i.e. short tidbits instead of lengthier convos but I think we've all spent enough time around these parts to keep that lifeline intact.

& yes, who knows that we don't see a resurgence down the road while all getting a charge putting together the pieces/adding some new ones, & catching glimpses here & there of 'ghosts in the mist'.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:07 AM   #9
Jack Knoff
Grizzled Veteran

Jack Knoff will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
Do you think it's okay for a poster to be able to curse obscenities and tell me to F off?
If you ask me (did you?), I say they should.

Who cares?

It doesn't matter and it's just someone's choice of expression, anyway.

Mush put up, what, 237,000 posts here?

He's what's known as an asset.
Jack Knoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:19 AM   #10
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Old 11-23-2012, 01:39 AM   #11
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #12
Marc
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
Is that SC?