Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Tennis

Old 05-30-2012, 04:59 AM   #1
Mertov
All-Star Player

Mertov is on a distinguished road
Default Roland Garros 2012

Sorry I am a bit late with the topic. We are beginning the second round matches today.

Check out the dominance of older players over the young in my article:
http://www.sports-central.org/sports...e_stand_up.php

First big shocker came in the last match of the first round. Serena is out although many picked her to win it prior to the beginning of the tournament.

Mert
Mertov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Serena is not the player she was a couple of years back. Some of the younger players have overtaken her. The same can be said for Sharipova and Venus.
Women's tennis is changing alot. Many names to look for.
Who do you like?

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
Mertov
All-Star Player

Hi Catman,

Although Serena may not be the player she was a few years back, she came to this tournament on fire, having won 10 matches in a row, including a thrashing of Sharapova and Azarenka, no 1 and 2 ranked players in the World, on clay just three weeks ago (her only "loss" was a walk-over loss due to injury against Li-Na).
She was by far the clear favorite to win the tournament.

That was her first loss ever in the first round of a Slam. What a weird one too. She was a up a set and 5-1 in the tiebreaker of the second, and loses 6 points in a row to lose the second set and then quick 5 game later, she is down 5-0 in the third. Strange match.

I like Azarenka still, but it's really hard to call on the Women's side. Bartoli just lost too (last year's semifinalist). On paper, it should be Sharapova and Azarenka in the finals. But there are also, Wozniacki, Kuznetsova, Schiavone.. and many other names who may not be redy to win the title, but who are certainly good enough to beat a top player on a given day.

Mertov
Old 05-31-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
Mertov
All-Star Player

Today's story was definitely the marathon 5-setter match that ended when Paul-Henri Matthieu defeated John Isner 18-16 in the fifth. Isner despite having a really good year overall (he is at no 11) shows that he still has to wait a bit more before he can make serious noise in the Slams.

I am interested to see how he will do at Wimbledon and US Open.

Mert
Old 06-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
Mertov
All-Star Player

I only got to see the last 2 sets of the Federer vs. Mahut match so I can't make much of a comment about today's action. But I can comfortably say that Federer is not playing well. Last year's French Open he was playing his best tennis of 2011, and thus he took out Djokovic and gave Nadal a very good match in the finals. but unless some drastic change occurs in his game in the next few days, I doubt he will win a set of Djokovic, even if he goes that far. He is playing one of the most dangerous players on the ATP Tour in my opinion: David Goffin. He will have to do better than what he did today.

I am surprised that Simon lost to Wawrinka. I would be curious to know how that match went, I will look around.

Djokovic is playing right now in one of the easiest 3rd round matches any top seed has had in a long time.

Azarenka just won her first set against Wozniak (not -cki) but it was much closer.

Mert
Old 06-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #6
Mertov
All-Star Player

Azarenka lost to Cibulkova in straight sets ! THat was the big shocker for the day except for the very few who have followed Cibulkova and who were expecting Cibulkova's trend upwards. There are four names on the top of the draw: Cibulkova, Stosur, Errani, and Kerber. I can see any of these four going to the finals. Personally, I pick the winner of Cibulkova and Stosur to go to the finals. There should be some great women's matches tomorrow too; especially Na Li vs. Shvedova and Lepchenko vs. Kvitova.

On the men's side, Federer and Djokovic are in the quarters, despite both having tough matches. Del Potro is up 2-1 in sets against Berdych and Tsonga was up 4-2 in the fith set when they suspended play.

Djokovic had to come from two sets down. To be honest, yes, they were playing against tough customers but they were both sub-par for their standards too. Federer is playing nothing so far like he did in last year's edition. Djokovic for his part played his worst tennis since the beginning of the tournament. It's not even that sure that we may have a Federer vs. Djokovic semis at this point.

Overall, on the men's side, it looks like Nadal should cruise to the title without much sweat.

A demain!
Old 06-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
Mertov
All-Star Player

Few notes from Tuesday..

Samantha Stosur looked really good. After today, I see her as the favorite to win it.

From about 4-4 in the second set of Djokovic vs. Tsonga match, it rained non-stop (a light drizzle for the most, sometimes turning into a steady drizzle/light rain late in the fourth into the fifth set). I wonder what the record is on that (if there is even such stat) but I have never seen a match played under steady rain of some sort for so long, with the rain never taking a break..

Congrats to Roland Garros management for closing the doors to the bathrooms around courts 1,2,3,4, and 5 (thus Henri Cochet side entrance of Chatrier stadium shortly after Tsonga-Djokovic match while there were still two other matches going on and considerable crowd on the grounds..

There are 52 statisticians working at Roland Garros to keep and report instantly accurate stats on every match.. Wow...

Cedric Pioline speaks terrible (really terrible) English for a player who has reached two Slam finals and was in top 10 for a while.. Yet he did the interview with Djokovic on the court after the match, Djokovic had serious problems understanding what he meant in two of the questions but tried not to show it..

Federer and Djokovic are playing Friday in the semis, but don't expect a high-quality encounter like last year. They were both at the top of their game last year going into that Friday. 1 year later, they are both struggling in Roland Garros to find their form.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #8
Mertov
All-Star Player

Women's semifinals are set for tomorrow:
Petra Kvitova vs. Maria Sharapova
Samantha Stosur vs. Sara Errani

Both sound very promising. Stosur will be a favorite against Errani, and Sharapova will be a "slight" favorite against Kvitova. I am sticking with Stosur to win the tournament.

Nadal, as expected, took our Almagro in three sets and will face another Spaniard, David Ferrer, in the semis. I doubt Rafa could have asked for a better draw. Playing mostly Argentinians and Spaniards on the way to the finals at the French is like eating peanuts for him. They step on the court already defeated against him. I hope Ferrer makes a match out of it, or else Federer vs. Djokovic will be the only spectacle on Friday.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
Mertov
All-Star Player

Ok.. I was wrong! This is why I never bet on sports
Stosur lost to Errani! It was an entertaining match unlike Sharapova vs. Kvitova during which I seriously had trouble staying focused. Too many boring rallies.

Onto tomorrow's men's semifinals...
Old 06-09-2012, 06:07 AM   #10
Mertov
All-Star Player

The two best players in tennis are in the finals: Nadal vs. Djokovic

Federer never looked good this tournament, so it's not a surprise. This match need not be taken (as some do) as some crystal ball reading sign that Federer's Grand Slam winning days are DEFINITELY over.. It's just one tournament.

I may not get to watch today's women's finals due to a previously planned function.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #11
Mertov
All-Star Player

Was that seriously the best women's tennis has to offer? Seriously?
1 hour and 29 minutes of boring, monotonous rallies with zero variety?

Congrats to Sharapova for completing the four slam circle, and good luck to those of us who expect more from women's tennis!
Old 06-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #12
Mertov
All-Star Player

Nadal is the champion for the 7th time: 6/4 6/3 2/6 7/5. Probably his toughest final.

It was more of a psychological battle than skills, with the conditions, rain delay etc.

Congratulations Rafa!