Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 01-13-2013, 05:48 AM   #1
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about
Default SCMB: Reflections

I've been a member of this site for almost 10 years now (edit: ok, more like 9 1/2). I joined at the age of 14. I still remember joining... we were in our school's computer lab during Mr. Brush's 9th grade English class to work on a paper. (Mr. Brush has since passed passed away.) I had watched PTI the previous night and they did a segment about Vijay Singh attacking Annika Sorenstam. For some reason, sitting there in the computer lab, I had the urge to look up sports messages boards on google and post something about it. Sports Central was probably the first site that came up. So I joined and posted right then.

I don't know if I had the intention to continue posting on a regular basis, but after looking around the site, the concept of SC seemed fun: here was a place that you could interact with all kinds of regulars and carve out an identity in this little internet community.

So SC stuck, and I continued to post all throughout high school, going through all kinds of crazy phases, interests, friendships. All of these were somehow reflected in posts on here. But rather than ramble on about high school memories-- what a weird, confusing time--, I just wanted to post this to thank SC for always being a nice escape and for all the members and for all the good memories. Some of the memories that stand out are talking about high school antics with Kornbix, posting all night with Tarkus and Nate and da12ken in the games & trivia center, playfully sparring with people like Kevin and Marc, the pick 'em leagues, Poptart's wild and creative posts, going at it about politics with CK and all the various Republican trolls that came and went, PMing with the like-minded Ricky (I wonder where he is now; if you ever end up reading this, PM me), and talking about all kinds of crazy shit with Buckeyefan.

My posts at times could be a bit ridiculous and self-indulgent(this thread is certainly the latter ), but I hope that people can, in retrospect, pardon me for, as the internet nowadays certainly shows, kids at that age can tend to act that way.

People change over ten years and move on from certain phases of their life, and it seems as though everyone has moved on from SC. But I think that everyone who posted here still looks back on their SC phase with fond memories. We had a nice mix of people and gave it a nice run.

Anyways, before everyone is gone from the site for good (including myself), I just wanted to say thanks to all the members for all the great memories and to all the friends I made on here

Last edited by Ellis; 01-13-2013 at 05:58 AM.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Thanks, Rob. Cheers.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Reflections...

I started a joke...
Old 01-22-2013, 07:00 AM   #4
Jack Knoff
Grizzled Veteran

Jack Knoff will become famous soon enough

Thanks, Ellis.

The first time I posted on SC ('03 or '04, I guess) was a night that I had just gotten in a wicked fight with my wife... and the frying pan I had given her as a Valentine's Day gift.

Anyway, I was sitting alone in my man cave - trying to figure out why women just don't get it.

I was bored and just bumping around the internet ---> mostly to various bikini sites, seeking jerk fodder, because I knew I wouldn't be getting any tail that night.

Somehow I came (no, not that) upon SC as I was bumping around.
I really have no idea how that happened - and to this day consider it a miracle on par with the Doug Flutie Hail Mary pass.

I think I read something from a guy named Mountaineer Dave and almost threw up in my mouth.
And Kevin Beaner seemed like he was on sedatives, too, so I decided that I needed to register at the board and help these floundering individuals out.

I registered.
I later posted.
I said things nobody else could get... except for maybe Ellis, because he did drugs a lot.
I think I pissed off a few folks, but never really had darkness in my heart.
Just entertainment in my will.

Thanks, Marc, for all you've done.

You're not half bad ---> for a pinhead.
Jack Knoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Nice post, Poptart...
Old 01-22-2013, 11:39 PM   #6
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

The Marmalade...wow. Haven't heard that one in years. Thanks Tark!

Rob - It's been a hoot.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:24 AM   #7
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

When life was something tangible, eh, Buck?
Old 01-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #8
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Ellis u are cool. Great post!
Old 01-26-2013, 02:54 AM   #9
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
When life was something tangible, eh, Buck?
Ain't that da truth.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote