Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 12-16-2002, 09:21 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default After rejecting Mets' offer, Alfonzo joins Giants

Quote:
After rejecting Mets' offer, Alfonzo joins Giants

Associated Press

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Moving aggressively to reshape their team, the Giants agreed Sunday to a $26 million, four-year contract with Edgardo Alfonzo, a move that could end Jeff Kent's tenure in San Francisco.

After negotiating with Kent for weeks, the Giants told Kent on Sunday that they needed a decision on their latest offer. When Kent's agent, Jeff Klein, declined the deal, San Francisco locked up Alfonzo, who can play second or third.

"I'm not used to this -- acquiring players. Now I have to wait for more,'' joked new Giants manager Felipe Alou, who spent years watching his stars depart cash-starved Montreal.

Giants general manager Brian Sabean said that signing "diminished'' the team's chances of retaining Kent, a former NL MVP. Before signing Alfonzo, the Giants spoke with Klein, but the sides were still far apart.

"They did after a chance to step up and weren't able to do so,'' Sabean said

Klein said the Giants called him after agreeing to the deal with Alfonzo and asked him to continue talks.

"We'll see. There's been an interest among a number of teams,'' said Klein, who has told San Francisco he has interest elsewhere for a multiyear deal.

The Giants, who are targeting their payroll at $73 million to $75 million, have offered Kent arbitration, and he has until Thursday to accept or reject.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/1215/1477445.html

Discuss ... what do you think will happen to Jeff Kent?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 12:50 AM   #2
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Alfonso doesn't do anything for me and he won't do much for the Giants. The SF Giants won't repeat in 2003. The Diamondbacks or San Diego will take that division this coming season I feel. I like the young pitchers the Padres have. If Phil Nevin is healthy all season watch out.
Old 12-17-2002, 03:14 AM   #3
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

The Giants are always a team where the sum of their parts is greater than the parts themselves. And this is no different. Obviously Alfonzo is a downgrade from Kent (assuming he's not back), but this team is still really good. The Dodgers could easily come in and take this division if they get another hitter to compliment Green (McGriff, Floyd, Kent?). The D'Backs haven't done anything to improve and they've hit their peak, and although the Padres are young and talented, I think the pitching is still a little too young and like the Dodgers, they could use one more position player.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote