Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Basketball

Old 02-13-2003, 10:56 AM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Arrow Abdul-Jabbar joins CBS as analyst for NCAA tournament

Quote:
Abdul-Jabbar says he'll bring insight to tourney coverage

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar will join CBS Sports as an analyst during its coverage of the NCAA tournament.

"Nobody has a more storied association with college basketball in general and the NCAA tournament in particular,'' CBS Sports president Sean McManus said Tuesday.

Abdul-Jabbar will work in a three-man booth with Dick Enberg and Matt Guokas.

"I'm enthusiastically encouraged,'' the 55-year-old Hall of Famer said. "I will be perceptive and able to convey why things are happening on the court.''

Abdul-Jabbar won three straight NCAA titles during coach John Wooden's dynasty at UCLA. He said he thought this tournament would be wide open with no clear favorites.

"There's a lot of parity now because all the best players are in the NBA,'' he said. "That makes for a situation where anybody can win it. That makes for an interesting tournament, though.''

Abdul-Jabbar remains interested in coaching but has not received any offers. He thinks that's the result of his perspective when he retired as a player.

"I was so burned out I didn't want anything to do with the game,'' he said. "Over the years, my opinion and viewpoint changed. I didn't have much to say as a player. I just wanted to play and go home. It's an impression I've worked hard to change so that people can see me in the correct light.''

McManus said CBS' Thursday and Friday tournament broadcasts will begin a half hour earlier, at 7 p.m. ET.
Interesting, to say the least. I think it is a questionable move because he has little experience doing this.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 11:48 AM   #2
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Well, CBS has had James Worthy in the booth with Brando for the last 2 seasons...and he had not had much experience, if any at all in commentating basketball games.

CBS usually doesn't have enough qualified commentators for the first 2 rounds. Jabbar won't be working past the 2nd round, because the regular CBS crew will cover the sweet 16 and beyond....more than likely. Although working with Enberg, he might get the chance to work the 16 and 8.

Joey
Old 02-13-2003, 11:55 PM   #3
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

Kareem is very intelligent and very well spoken, he may have some uneasy moments, but I believe his intelligence will carry him well and overall he will be just fine.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 12:48 AM   #4
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Speaking of Kareem, can we turn this into a "should he be the next head coach at UCLA" discussion? They had this question a second ago on some ESPN show I'm watching. I think Kareem would make for a good coach there even though he doesn't have D-1 experience. He's Kareem. Who wouldn't go to UCLA if he walks into your house and says "kid, we need you"?

And yes, I'm just basing this off his role in Airplane
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 05:43 AM   #5
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Kareem's only coaching exoerience is the Oklahoma Storm of the USBL and i don't think that makes you qualified to be UCLA's head coach. i think Kareem should try for a mid major job and maybe in 5-7 years he'll be UCLA's coach.
Old 02-14-2003, 07:55 AM   #6
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

Is that any less of a resume then Lavin had when he got the job? Actually Pride I know what your saying.

Doug has made a very valid point in regards to Kareem and what his presence would do walking into a recruits house.

But I do see a problem in regards to his never being a coach, even an assistant at the major colege level. There is so much someone has to learn, that is totally seperate from just teaching basketball. I think Kareem could teach the game just fine, but I think one would have to gain experience as an assistant in regards to everything NOT basketball practice related. I dont know if its possible to just walk into the college ranks having not been involved with them as a player or coach since the late 60's.

I do think he would be better suited for the NBA.

The rumors are already flying in the USC underworld, that Bibby will be in line for that job. He's done a decent job at SC, is a UCLA alum from there dynasty years. He's very much a disciplinarian even to the point many USC people(not me) sometimes feel he his to hard core with the team...............but UCLA certainly needs some discipline. We'll see.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 03:15 PM   #7
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I don't think Abdul-Jabbar should be the next UCLA coach -- they need an experienced, disciplined guy, like #47 said, to turn this team around. There is no discipline, emotion, or cohesiveness on their team.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote