Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 07-11-2003, 11:56 PM   #1
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road
Default Dodgers Dilemma

The L.A. Dodgers have arguably the best pitching staff (both starters and relievers) in baseball. They play good defense and have a great manager in Jim Tracy. After hearing all that, you’d think Big Blue has a one-way ticket to the postseason ready to be punched. But there’s one problem, they have NO offense. None, zip, nada. Just how bad are the bats in Hollywood? Well, set aside Paul Lo Duca’s .314 average, and their leading hitter is batting a mere .255 (Shawn Green). Green and Fred McGriff are tied for the team lead in home runs with a whopping 10.RBI’s? There he is again, Mr. Green is leading the back with 43.

Now, I don’t want to rip on Shawn Green, because he’s got some serious pop, but he just hasn’t produced this season. Much like everyone else on the Dodgers. Brian Jordan was hitting .299 before he got hurt (surgery which will end his season) and Dave Roberts got off to a good start, then everything started going down.

Tim Kurkijan said it well on today’s early edition of Baseball Tonight, “if the Dodgers want to go to the playoffs, they’re going to have to get a bat”. Indeed, they need a hitter to spark things up. And with all of their pitching, they have an opportunity to get one. Lately, rumors have been swirling about trading Odalis Perez, possibly to Pittsburgh for Brian Giles. It would be a perfect deal if L.A. could pull it off, the only problem being, the Pirates also want the Dodgers’ top two pitching prospects (one of which, Edwin Jackson, returned the letter I sent him). Now a deal like that would not be a fair one, as L.A. would obviously be getting the short end. So perhaps instead of sending prospects, they could send either Guillermo Mota or Paul Shuey (two relievers who are having excellent seasons) along with Perez for Giles and perhaps a middle-pack minor leaguer. And while getting Giles would be ideal, it’s not the only deal out there. Cincinnati is DESPERATE for a starting pitcher, and they are one outfielder too many. So if I were Dodgers GM Dan Evans, I would settle for Jose Guillen and his line of .339-17-46. Dunn, Kearns and Griffey Junior are not going anywhere, and Guillen, who also, if I may add, has maybe the best outfield arm in the National League, has hinted he wants to be a starter, and if he can’t get that in Cinci, he would like to change uniforms. Guillen is only 27, so he could be a fixture for L.A. for a long time. Another possibility would be Geoff Jenkins of Milwaukee.

The Dodgers will make some kind of move, who it will include? We’ll just have to wait and see.
Old 07-12-2003, 02:29 AM   #2
chevy706
Grizzled Veteran

chevy706 is on a distinguished road

The Dodgers have got to be on Coke if they think they can get one of the best hitters in the NL for Perez and a song. Even Perez, Mota, and Shuey would come up short due to Mota and Shuey's contracts and their likelihood to leave the Burgh first chance they get.

Compound that with the fact that the Dodgers don't have a leg to stand on, and they're going to have to pay out the nose for a hitter, regardless of who they're dealing with. Everybody in the majors knows that the Dodgers are one bat away from the postseason. Everyone also knows that if the Dodgers want to make the postseason and they have a bat to offer, the Dodgers will pay the price.

I can only speak on knowledge gained in Pittsburgh on Giles. We're not in any hurry to unload the only hitter on our team. If you want Giles, you're going to have to pay, and pay dearly. Add to that the fact that several other teams are interested in Giles, and the Dodgers are stuck with the reality that they are either going to have to pay or pass on Giles and hope they get one of the other guys that can really hit on the market.
chevy706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 02:53 AM   #3
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

Well, as far as the Giles situation, that was a report I read on espn.com.
Old 07-12-2003, 04:11 AM   #4
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Perez is an outstanding pitcher in his own right but there's no way he plus anyone in the Dodgers subpar minor league system is worth a guy like Giles. The Dodgers have so many offensive holes that lately they have been moving Lo Duca around the field so that Dave Ross could play catcher. Yes, the same Dave Ross that has 5 home runs and 11 RBIs. Once Dave Roberts gets off the DL it should help the offensive a little bit. Of course that is assuming the Dodgers will get hits when he's on base.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 09:34 AM   #5
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

i agree with Chevy and da12ken, the Dodgers will have to pay for Giles or pass because Perez and a few others aren't worth it. if i were the Dodegrs i'd focus on Guillen. he is having a career year and has a great OF arm and won't get playing time when and if the Cinci OF is completely healthy. for the price of Perez LA could easily get Guillen and have that bat they need. LA is going to have to get the bat because without it they will miss the play offs for sure.
Old 07-12-2003, 02:51 PM   #6
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

If the Dodgers want to make a trade of Perez for outfielders, why not contact the Twins? The Twins have some spare outfielders (Lew Ford, Michael Cuddyer, Mike Ryan, Dustan Mohr) and need some starting pitching help. Perez for one of these guys, or a package including one or more of these guys and some other player(s) for Perez and others could be worked out. A deal like this could help both teams a lot.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 04:04 PM   #7
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

I'm to lazy tp read that whole thread so i just want to say

eric gagne= best closer in the game
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 05:24 PM   #8
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

The Dodgers need a huge bat. A mediocre one is going to cut it. Giles would be a great fit, but I don't see the Dodgers giving up a young major league starter and their two top pitching prospects for him, although that's what would be needed to get it done probably with the Dodger's system.

If they don't have to give up much for Guillen, I would pull that trade, but I can see his number going downhill once he hits Chavez Ravine.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 11:45 PM   #9
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

They definitely need a bat and would be foolish not to trade pitching for one, but I won't repeat what has already been said. They also need a healthy Kevin Brown: http://www.sports-central.org/sports...cle186_3.shtml
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 01:17 AM   #10
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

It appears that Rickie Henderson could join the Dodgers soon. Is he the bat they need? Who knows. He could still have some value.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 09:04 PM   #11
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Good article today in the LA Times basically saying the Karros/Grudzlsidfnalk trade in the offseason has backfired. Karros, mostly batting in a platoon role, is hitting above .300. Compare that to McGriff, who is hitting sub .250 and spending time on the DL. Of course almost anyone with two hands can hit better than Alex Cora, who has hit the same number of home runs as Guillermo Mota.

The Dodgers need a couple of good bats in the lineup. Rickey could help but he's not a long-term fixture.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 09:25 PM   #12
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

I heard today that the Giles deal is not going to happen, and the Dodgers may have to settle for Reggie Sanders, who is a far cry from Brian Giles.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:39 AM   #13
Brandon
is lurking...

Ricky Henderson would be a start. Although they need a run producer in the middle of their lineup. Rickey would be a good addition to this team and others though.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:32 AM   #14
LightningDave
Sports Enthusiast

LightningDave is on a distinguished road

I'm a minority of one, but I don't trade a 26 year-old lefthanded starter who has already had success in the big leagues for a 32 year old outfielder. The Dodgers are below average offensively at many positions, and one hitter isn't going to make that large of a difference.

And nobody has mentioned contracts. Just how long are Perez and Giles signed for?

http://eisenbergsports.blogspot.com
LightningDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 04:11 PM   #15
Brandon
is lurking...

Perez is signed through next year. Giles I believe has a contract through the same amount of time.