Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 03-16-2004, 11:16 AM   #1
digital7
Deep South

digital7 is on a distinguished road
Default David Boston heading to Miami

Chargers getting conditional pick, unspecified player
By Jim Trotter
SAN DIEGO UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

March 16, 2004

As expected, the Chargers last night traded former Pro Bowl wide receiver David Boston to the Miami Dolphins for a conditional sixth-round draft choice in 2005 and a player to be named.

Also as expected, the Chargers tried to put a positive spin on the move. In so many words, they called it addition by subtraction, even though a year earlier the organization sounded figurative trumpets and all but bowed at Boston's feet after luring him from Arizona with a seven-year contract that guaranteed him nearly $12 million even if he played only one season.

"It just wasn't a good fit," General Manager A.J. Smith said. "There are lots of reasons why, and I won't get into that. Unfortunately, it didn't work out. Unfortunately, that happens in our business . . . But if it doesn't work out, you don't sweep it under the rug for a few years and ignore it."

Instead, you do as the Chargers did and work out a financial settlement that, according to Smith, will save the team $5 million. The Chargers also are expected to receive "considerable" relief against the 2005 salary cap when money Boston earns from the Dolphins will be credited against San Diego's cap.

Boston, who agreed to an incentive-heavy deal with the Dolphins that reportedly could earn him as much as $3 million this season and $4 million next year, declined to speak specifically about the trade last night. He said he had yet to be informed the deal was official.

However, when asked about being reunited with Dolphins receivers coach Jerry Sullivan, who tutored him for four seasons in Arizona, including one in which Boston went to the Pro Bowl, Boston couldn't contain his excitement.

"Coach Sullivan, that guy taught me the most about my game," said Boston, 25. "He taught me how to be a receiver. When you break the huddle, it's almost like you hear elevator music because his voice is in your head. He's in there for 10 seconds until the snap of the ball, and what he's telling you is going to work. He knows so much. If I have the chance to play for him, that will be great."

Boston got his wish one week after the team basically advised him to seek employment elsewhere, telling his agent, Mitch Frankel, that he had permission to seek a trade. The Dolphins were first on Boston's list from the start, because of Sullivan.

The deal essentially was a three-stage process. First, the Dolphins and Chargers had to agree on trade compensation for Boston. Then, Miami had to work out a new contract with Boston that, at least in the first two years, would limit the Dolphins' financial risk should Boston step out of line and, at the same time, be copacetic with the Chargers, who wanted the deal to give them a large credit against future salary caps.

Lastly, Boston had to work out a settlement with the Chargers over his guaranteed money. Complicating matters is that the Chargers had been floating the idea of withholding $3 million in liquidated damages stemming from Boston's suspension.

In the end, all got what they wanted. The Chargers, who have spent the offseason selling high and buying low, increasing their cash flow along the way, got rid of another high-priced contract that included $6.9 million in guarantees over the next two seasons; Boston got his reunion with Sullivan; and the Dolphins, who ranked 26th in passing last season, got one of the game's better wide receivers, moodiness and individualism aside.

"I don't think David's a bad kid," coach Marty Schottenheimer said. "We just made a decision that David was not a good fit for what we're trying to do here. It happens in this league. You can't sit paralyzed and do absolutely nothing."

That's not to say the move was popular with some fans or players. The departure of Boston leaves the team with no proven No. 1 wide receiver.

Eric Parker has talent, but a lithe build and durability issues. Tim Dwight also is undersized and injury-prone. And former second-round draft choice Reche Caldwell has given no reason to believe he can step in. Caldwell flamed out last season when handed the No. 2 job, finishing with one fewer touchdown catch than quarterback Drew Brees.

"I wanted to be back," Boston said. "I've been training and working out expecting to come back to San Diego and have an even better year . . . Unfortunately, we struggled offensively and defensively, and I was in a bad situation and wasn't able to showcase my talents. But I still would like to be a Charger.

"The Chargers gave me an opportunity to present myself and be a part of a first-class organization with Marty Schottenheimer. He's a guy who demands a lot of discipline, and I've learned a lot from him about discipline and being punctual and doing things on time. I thank him and the Chargers for everything they've done for me, for helping to make me a better player and person. That will help me with my next team."
digital7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 11:47 AM   #2
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

I give him about 2 weeks of training camp before the Dolphins regret this trade. I wonder if he'll come in looking like the hulk again this year?.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:29 AM   #3
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

I say move him to TE. Seriously he's too big to play WR.
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 12:02 PM   #4
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

But, too fast, Kornby, to play at TE.

Dave
Old 03-17-2004, 12:31 PM   #5
digital7
Deep South

Jerry Sullivan wants him slimmed down to 230 and he has agreed to do so. I've read here in the local papers that Randy McMicheal might get switched to SE on occassion.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:33 AM   #6
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

If the T.O. situation hadn't distracted them the Ravens probably would have pursued Boston, and Brian Billick would have had no problem keeping someone like David Boston in line. To say the least, I'm not sure if Dave Wannstedt will be able to handle him though.
One of our political parties doesn't know the difference between non-sectarianism and secularism, while the other doesn't know the difference between individualism and selfishness. And you have to ask why there are so many independents?

Last edited by Anthony; 03-18-2004 at 02:35 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 06:34 PM   #7
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

There seems to be a lot of talented athletes who practically need a babysitter these days. Boston is a freak of nature, he defies it with his size and speed, so this is a risk I think is worth it.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 06:39 PM   #8
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

It's definitely worth the risk to Wannstedt and Speilman... if they don't win it all this year, they're out on their collective ears.

Dave
Old 03-19-2004, 02:25 AM   #9
Anthony

Dave, do you really think that Wannstedt would be fired if the Dolphins lose to T.O. and the Eagles in the Super Bowl?

However, I do believe that a deep playoff run - that is to say, Miami getting in the AFC championship game for the first time since 1992 - will be necessary to save his job.
One of our political parties doesn't know the difference between non-sectarianism and secularism, while the other doesn't know the difference between individualism and selfishness. And you have to ask why there are so many independents?
Old 03-19-2004, 11:54 PM   #10
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

A Super Bowl loss would be acceptable, Anthony, with one proviso: If TO and his "choker" QB roll over Miami by 21+, I think there'd be a very strong desire to remove him, although digital7 is obviously closer to South Beach and hence, in the know.

Anything short of getting to the Super Bowl, after the $$$ they've spent to this point --barring uncontrollable circumstances, like injuries-- might be enough to make him quit. The only thing that might keep them (Wannstedt and Speilman are both touch and go in their jobs) in Miami for one season longer is if the pair can convince Huizenga that Feeley (I still don't get that acquisition) needs another year to become a SB QB.

Dave
Old 03-20-2004, 02:35 AM   #11
Anthony

Subject to change of course, but I'm actually leaning toward Denver in the AFC - and I'm not terribly worried about them losing Clinton Portis because Shanahan has always been able to find someone he can plug in at running back.

And what's wrong with the Dolphins acquiring Feeley? He's a typical contemporary success story for an NFL quarterback: Serve an NFL apprenticeship somewhere after a relatively undistinguished career in college, then move on and take it to a higher level (Trent Green, Jake Delhomme, Matt Hasselbeck, Mark Brunell etc.).
Old 03-21-2004, 03:20 PM   #12
digital7
Deep South

oh lord here we go again. A.J Feeley and Jay Fiedler are the SAME quarterback. It was a complete lateral move. The only difference is that Feeley is 26 and Fiedler is in his 30's already. Fitting a contemporary success story in the NFL is one thing, going out there and proving it is another. There are clearly more busts in the NFL than success stories -- anyone on here can pretty much attest to that. Speilman and Wannstead are on the way out in my opinion. They've already tried that formula once with Fiedler, bringing in an unknown backup QB for a fresh start on the team. Where has that gotten them really? absolutely nowhere. Which is pretty much the predicament they find themselves yet again, 4 years later. If it doesnt work this time around, which, my gut instinct tells me that it wont (cuz Wannstead and Speilman just cant seem to get it right and never will) we'll be a team on the rebuild within the next 2 years. Seau out. Feeley out. Madison out. Fiedler out. the coaching staff out. Zach Thomas out. Tim Bowens out and we'll be completely revamped. I say, the move of Feeley better work out becuase Wayne Huizenga is clearly fustrated with the direction the team is headed in. This guy is a winner. He's used to winning. He took the Panters to the Stanley Cup Final's. He won the World Series with the Marlins. The Dolpins are the only team he's owned in which has not either made it to the Finals or won it all. Not to mention that Football is his favorite sport
Old 03-21-2004, 11:12 PM   #13
franky
Lost and Confused

franky is on a distinguished road

I think Boston will definitely help the Miami recieving corps. I feel your pain about the Dolphins and the uncertainty that Wannestedt brings to the table with some moves. Feely is about the same level as Fiedler. Fiedler is able to manage games, but not win them, per se. It's frustrating for Dolphins fans mainly because it feels like we've underachieved for years. I mean, the Dolphins actually won both games from Buffalo and NYJets last season, and still didn't make the playoffs. And this never happens. Talk about a bummer.

But, it is quite necessary for Miami to keep the defense together. Players like Zach Thomas, Junior Seau, Bowen, and Madison are very necessary to the Dolphins success.
franky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 01:28 AM   #14
digital7
Deep South

Quote:
Originally posted by franky
But, it is quite necessary for Miami to keep the defense together. Players like Zach Thomas, Junior Seau, Bowen, and Madison are very necessary to the Dolphins success.
i agree to a certain extent.. only if we're winning ofcourse. that's how the fans and the media work down here in Miami. a bunch of bandwagon jumpers.. the lot of them. but the fact of the matter is that our defense is not longer the young boysterous side we had 4 years ago.. Zach is old. So is Madison and Bowens.. Seau is a walking skeleton just waiting for a torn ACL to happen. sorry to sound so negative, especially them being my team, but it's the truth.. the only defensive players I could really look foward too the next couple of years are Morlon Greenwood and Eddie Moore, which so far look like they have some potential.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:23 PM   #15
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

digital-- You left out the most hyped coulda-been free agent the Dolphins have: Adewale Ogunleye.

How could you leave him out of defensive potential list?

Anyway, I think the aging in the secondary will have a profound effect on this fins d. We saw Madison (and even Surtain to an extent) starting to show their wear and tear. Seau is over. He could be released prior to the draft and it wouldn't really matter too much.

Dave