Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 06-16-2004, 01:03 AM   #61
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Magic didn't win a title without Kareem, true. Magic did lead the Lakers to a Game 6 victory over the Sixers in 1980 with Kareem hurt at the age of 20. The rookie had 42 points, 15 rebs, 7 asts, and was 14-14 from the line.

Jordan only had Pippen, who I believe is overated, however Jordan had to beat Shawn Kemp, Gary Payton, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Clyde Drexler, Charles Barkley, and Magic for his titles.

Magic had to beat Larry Bird, Robert Parrish, Kevin McHale, Dr. J., Maurice Cheeks, Moses Malone, and Isiah Thomas for his titles.

That is a HUGE difference in greatness to beat to get your ring. Magic played in a much better league to get his rings.

I could get a ring against Payton and Kemp.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 09:42 PM   #62
helmkad
Rookie Player

helmkad is on a distinguished road

What a Joke. Jordan no challenge at all. Look what Joran had to work with. Pippen was great but he was no Shaq. Wether or not Kobe is more talented is besides the point. Jordan had the mental ability to take great players out of their game. If i had to bet on a 1 on 1 game for everything I own, I would not think twice about taking Jordan.
helmkad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 09:47 PM   #63
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

This thread was more an exercise practicing your typing skills than an actual debate....lol
Old 06-17-2004, 11:36 PM   #64
El Jefe
Philosopher of Sport

El Jefe is on a distinguished road

For clarification...I consider Jordan the best of all-time.

And in regards to your response to my statements, Tarkus...you make excellent points and there's always multiple perspectives to take when certain statements are made. Now while I may not entirely agree with your stance (the great thing about illegal defense was how confusing it could be at times), I think you've made a fine argument in favor of Jordan. We still have to wait to see what Bryant does with the remainder of his career before we can even begin to put him at the level of Jordan....but I'd say he has the potential to get there...it'll depend if he's even playing ball in the next few years and whether or not he matures more as a basketball player...because that's what will have to happen if he is to be considered in a debate with MJ.

And outstanding points regarding Jordan the Marketing Tool. That is really his legacy...the media icon he was...greatest one we've ever seen by far. Practically everyone in the world knows who Michael Jordan is.

An interesting thought just popped into my head though...could David Beckham be a bigger sports media star/marketing tool than Jordan?
Old 06-19-2004, 11:40 PM   #65
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Agreed, El Jefe

This thread was just waaaay before it's time. It's good to see it die down instead of continuing to sound like a Kobe bashing. It's unfair for a talented young ballplayer to be scrutinized before the careers are able to be layed out, side by side.

Good point on Beckham. His worth in the marketing world has already reached across alot of different areas. I think the only thing that holds him back is the marketing gap between the sports when it comes to the mainstream.

Beyond a straight up comparison of the 2 settings, I wouldn't doubt that his impact in this era of marketing could continue to grow to that type of recognition.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:50 AM   #66
SoRealTalk
Rookie Player

SoRealTalk is on a distinguished road
Default Kobe vs Jordan

Mr. Michael Jordan is an ICON respected by many as the greatest basketball player to ever live! His legacy goes beyond his basketball skills, his athleticism, his fundamentals, his superlative smarts for the game and don't forget the soaring, gliding and magnificent dunks. On and off the court Air Jordan was simply brilliant. You didn't see Air Jordan's name in the newspaper being accused of raping someone! Mr. Air Jordan was undoubtedly the best in his era and many eras to come. Quotes by the great Bill Russell "You never got the sense that he took the night off"! Michael captivated us with his excellence for so many years’ night in and night out. He's done so many amazing things on the court that make a player like David Robinson say something like "you get the sense that Jordan has a little magic with him when he plays"! No one was a close second when Your Airiness reigned over the entire NBA. Quotes from Coach Chuck Daly "The man (Jordan) is literally embarrassing the LEAGUE”. Mr. Jordan lived up to the HYPE like no one has ever done before. His style, the bald head, the tongue sticking out, the baggie shorts, his walk and the shoes, which still out sell all currently active NBA player shoes, is just a small measure of his greatness and trend setting ability. You see its more than just scoring a lot of points and winning awards. Everyone wanted to market Mr. Jordan because he was GOLDEN. Mr. Jordan was the game’s greatest player ever even before he won any championship in the minds of many. And then after winning 6 championships with the Chicago Bulls proving that he was a team player and that he could make his teammates better sealed the deal and put all arguments to bed as to who’s the greatest basketball player to ever live. The amazing thing about Michael Jordan is that everyone knew he was going to get the ball in crunch time…and everyone knew he was going to do something breathtaking…and everyone knew that NO ONE could do anything…I said ANYTHING to stop it from happening! Air Jordan was "Captain" of his team and everyone followed his lead. Kobe followed Shaq's lead and now that there is no Shaq, Kobe is so lost and look average at times in the "NBA Finals"! He's finally accomplished something that Mr. Jordan has not, which is losing horribly in the NBA Finals. So embarrassing to lose so badly and not be able to do anything even on an individual level. Kobe Bryant is just a kid with talent. A lot of NBA players are similar to Air Jordan, but it stops there...no ifs, ands, or buts about it. The End.
SoRealTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:45 AM   #67
nbadave
Rookie Player

nbadave is on a distinguished road
Talking kobi is better

kobi is better than Mr.Jordan. There was too much media hype concerning jordan's play. The best player during the Jordan's era is Magic Johnson. How many scoring titles would the magic man have if he went after the scoring titles instead of the rings. A point guard at 6'9'' running a full court (show time). Jordan would never have as many scoring titles. No one remembers when he played all five positions when Kareem hurt his leg. Johnson was capable of averaging 30 plus points a game. Jordon could not guard magic. Wilt was head and shoulders above Jordan. The ultimate monster in his prime could out run most of the nba players. He would destroy Jordan just as he destroyed a young kareem during the bucks versus Lakers series back in 71.He blocked kareem's skyhook not once but twice which changed the game. Wilt was pass his prime. Don't forget Mr. Baylor or Dr. J. Kobi has learn what magic has done all those years in running showtime. Credit the great Boston Defense. They shut down the mvp Mr. james and they almost got kobi.
nbadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:59 PM   #68
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

^ How is anyone supposed to take you seriously when you can't even spell Kobe's name right?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:50 AM   #69
Sports Guru
Banned

Sports Guru is on a distinguished road

I can absolutely state that Jordan was the hard, and physical. But Kobe is a lot more comparable; groups are more stacked than ever. Players are larger, more powerful, and much quicker than ever.
Sports Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:22 PM   #70
dagulskie
Sports Enthusiast

dagulskie is on a distinguished road
Default Kobe vs. Jordan: The best player of all time?

I go for Jordan, If Michael did not retire last 1994 the Bulls might had break the record of the Boston Celtics 8th straight Championship win and many more if he did retire again in 1999 season.Kobe waited 6 years to be champion again, While Michael waited only 1 season. Thats why Michael is called the living legend.

Last edited by Marc; 08-28-2010 at 12:37 PM.
dagulskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:59 PM   #71
lenco12
Rookie Player

lenco12 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawndo View Post
Whats up Enoch!
Welcome to the Board....

Great question! I initially became intrigued with basketball after watching MJ 'light it up' and was a Bulls fan until he retired. Then I lost all interest in the NBA until one day I saw that same spark coming from a young #8 on the Lakers (before Kobe/Shaq's first ring), and for me- the torch was passed.

Who's better? ..... man, that's tough.
The first and foremost point is that as it stands, Jordan has 6 Championships and Kobe has 3. Also, Jordan carried the Bulls almost singlehandedly while Kobe has been #2 to Shaq.
Kobe's career is (hopefully) far from over, so it remains to be seen if his fingers will be as decorated as Michael's when it's all said and done, but if you boil me down right now and ask me do I take MJ in his prime or Kobe in his prime, I say MJ.
Why? - all things considered, Michael is superior in his INFECTIOUS SPIRIT; the ability to inspire and light a fire under his teammates. Kobe has the same spirit, but keeps it more to himself.
Maybe that would change if he didn't play with Shaq... maybe we'll find out.

My main point is this....
MJ played his career above the rim & attacking the basket. He understood the concept of putting the pressure on the opponents D. Watch any Bull games & you'll see 3-4 defenders cheating on MJ cuz after him, there no one. Even with that kind of attention, he still consistently got to the rim. Hell, the Pistons had a defense expressly designed to stop him...The Jordan Rules.

Last edited by Marc; 09-22-2010 at 09:44 PM.
lenco12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:39 AM   #72
dagulskie
Sports Enthusiast

dagulskie is on a distinguished road

No other player can beat the half man half amazing...Kobe is talented but Mj had a pure talent given by God in short the airness is gifted with that talent.
dagulskie is offline   Reply With Quote