Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 08-27-2005, 03:11 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default 2008 Football Pick'em Contests

New to the Pick'ems?

Welcome to Year Eight of our Pick'em games - and for the fourth year in a row there are three separate contests: The NFL Pick'em, the College Football Pick'em, and the NFL Pointspread Contest.

In the NFL and College Football Pick'ems, simply select the team from the 10 featured games in each week's respective thread whom you think will win and list them in your post. For the game designated as the tie-breaker (the Monday night game in the NFL Pick'em) you must also post the total combined score of the game in addition to the winning team.

The NFL Pointspread Contest requires participants to select the team that will cover the point spread in each game, and unlike in the NFL and College Football Pick'ems above, every NFL game played on Sunday or Monday night that week is included in this contest. In addition, each participant must designate three of the picks as "Best Bets." For further details, see the digest of rules for the Pointspread Contest.

New This Year: Games played on days/nights other than Sunday or Monday (i.e., Thursday or Saturday) will no longer be part of the NFL Pointspread Contest (these games have never been included in the regular NFL pick 'em). This change has been made to encourage larger fields in the Pointspread Contest (that means more people picking, for those of you in Rio Linda, West Palm Beach and Staten Island).

Scoring

In the NFL and College Football Pick'ems, the first-place finisher each week will receive 5 points, while second place will be worth 4 points, third place 3 points, fourth place 2 points, and all other entrants will receive 1 point. This encourages you to play each week because you are guaranteed to receive points for participation.

In the NFL Pointspread Contest, a total of 1,000 points will be awarded each week and, as in the two Pick'ems, there is also a guaranteed score for participating, with descending scores for each place across the entire field. For further details, click here.

Final Notes

The deadline for posting your picks in all three contests is the kickoff of the earliest game listed. You may not post picks after any game in that particular contest has started as your selections will be disregarded. Furthermore, do not complain about the games selected to be included in the Pick'ems — there is nothing scientific or exact about it. The goal therein is to pick the 10 best, most competitive games, period. With that said, good luck!

Last edited by Anthony; 08-23-2008 at 05:27 AM.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:15 AM   #2
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

It's about that time again!

The Week 1 contest threads for both NFL contests could be up and open as early as Saturday.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:31 AM   #3
Anthony

Since college football begins its schedule this week, I figured I'd better get this thread up (in case Kevin/Dave wants to start the college pick'em with this weekend's games).

Last edited by Anthony; 08-28-2007 at 03:01 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:17 AM   #4
Anthony

Thumbs up themush = Triple Crown Winner!

Congratulations are in order for themush, who won all three of our football Pick'em contests this year:

SCMB Pick 'em:
themush: 44.5 points
Anthony: 42 points
coachJ: 41 points

College Pick 'em:
themush: 39 points
Marc: 35 points
Anthony: 33 points

NFL Pointspread Contest:
themush: 764 points
Anthony: 662 points
Dublin Mike: 542 points

Well done, dude! :thumbsup2:
Old 01-08-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

First I would like to thank God because I couldn't have done this with out him.

Wow I didn't know I had it in me but, coach just kept telling to keep my eye on the prize and I did. It's a team effort really, we just gave 110% every practice and it paid off in the end.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:41 PM   #6
Montrovant
Hatecarver

Montrovant is on a distinguished road

Damn mush, a clean sweep! Guess we know who's the (luckiest) smartest game picker here! :lol:
Montrovant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:42 PM   #7
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Congrats to mush, and many thanks to Anthony for doing a wonderful job running them!
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote