Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   National Football League (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Favre tells Jets he's retiring (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=21729)

Marc 02-11-2009 07:51 PM

Favre tells Jets he's retiring

Quote:

Less than a year after retiring from the Green Bay Packers, Brett Favre stepped away from the NFL again Wednesday, telling the New York Jets that he will not return as their QB in 2009.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3898942

But can you really take him for his word? I think it's final, though. He should retire a Packer...

And he did BS stuff, I'm sure, saying he enjoyed playing for Mangenius and had no beefs with players like Thomas Jones. Always trying to take the high road, it's hard to take athletes 100% seriously in times like this. I guarantee it wasn't all a fairytale.

Pyro 02-11-2009 09:53 PM

I agree with you, retiring as a Packer would be the right way to end it. I think this time it's for good, he didn't have a good experience in New York and unless the perfect situation arises I don't expect to see him change his mind.

Anthony 02-12-2009 04:59 AM

It looks as if my "flops" list for 2009 is starting to take shape: The Jets have to be on it if Favre does retire - although with him you never know until the last minute! Other "worthy" candidates include the Dolphins - strength of schedule going way, way up!; the Ravens, who may face their very own economic crisis, courtesy of the salary cap; the Titans, who have "flash in the pan" written all over them; the whole NFC South, except for maybe the Saints; and the Cardinals, pursuant to the dreaded Super Bowl Runner-Up Jinx.

But if all these teams are "going," who will be "coming"?

Well I haven't thought much about that yet.

buckeyefan78 02-12-2009 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthony (Post 294272)
but if all these teams are "going," who will be "coming"?

p-h-i-l-a-d-e-l-p-h-i-a-e-a-g-l-e-s

Anthony 02-13-2009 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 (Post 294298)
p-h-i-l-a-d-e-l-p-h-i-a-e-a-g-l-e-s

Since the Eagles got to the Final Four this past season, it would be awfully tough to sell them as any kind of Cinderella team for 2009; just the same, if they can stumble upon a power runner in this year's draft the way they stumbled upon a deep-threat receiver in last year's draft, they could put themselves in an ideal position to win the NFC East - but if you look at the 2009 schedule pattern, that might very well buy them only a 3 seed in the NFC playoff bracket, particularly if the Bears or Vikings do pull something off at quarterback.

I'm thinking more along the lines of Cincinnati, Cleveland, Washington (no team has registered back-to-back last-place finishes in the NFC East since the realignment), Buffalo (leap-frogs the Favre-bereft Jets and suicide-schedule-plagued Dolphins in the AFC East), New Orleans (every team that has finished last in the NFC South one year has made the playoffs the next), and probably most of all, San Francisco (who if you think about it, literally can't help but win the NFC West), as the most likely candidates to capture everybody's soul in 2009 the way Atlanta and Miami did in 2008.

Jaguar Rick 02-13-2009 09:45 AM

I think Brett should have retired from the Packers when he left that team, instead of humiliating himself at the Jets. I think he will stay retired now, but he really screwed-up by coming back. Brett, you should have quit while you were ahead.

Anthony 02-13-2009 10:20 AM

Pray tell, Jaguar Rick, how is leading a team to a 9-7 season that had been 4-12 the year before humiliating oneself?

doublee 02-13-2009 11:06 AM

Favre shot himself in the foot by trying to play through an arm injury when he clearly should not have tried to do so the last month of the season.

Montrovant 02-13-2009 05:44 PM

Well Anthony, he might mean that going from 8-3 to 9-7 and missing the playoffs, while throwing 9 ints to 2 tds in the last 5 games (I think those numbers are correct) to be humiliating.

Anthony 02-14-2009 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doublee (Post 294326)
Favre shot himself in the foot by trying to play through an arm injury when he clearly should not have tried to do so the last month of the season.

So Brett Favre = Plaxico Burress? :lol:

Marc 02-14-2009 04:00 PM

He's done. Before, he said he could play physically, but was worn out mentally. Now he's admitting with his shoulder problems, he can't compete physically at the level he wants to. He's clearly come to grips with it and accepted it. Not the emotional guy, but rather someone who knows it's time. Thanks for the memories, Brett.

Anthony 02-15-2009 04:11 AM

Maybe the Eagles should offer McNabb to the Jets in a trade! :D

Jaguar Rick 02-17-2009 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montrovant (Post 294350)
Well Anthony, he might mean that going from 8-3 to 9-7 and missing the playoffs, while throwing 9 ints to 2 tds in the last 5 games (I think those numbers are correct) to be humiliating.

Exactly Mont, plus he seemed to cause a bit of tension in the locker room, whether intended or not. As the season went on, he became a distraction to many on the team.

Anthony 02-18-2009 04:19 AM

Let's just say this: When my fantasy league's draft is held, one RB I definitely won't be selecting is Thomas Jones - with all the eight- and nine-man fronts Jones is going to have to deal with next year, he'll be lucky if he rushes for 750 yards.