Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   Major League Baseball (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Javier Lopez Traded to Boston (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=14317)

bama4256 08-04-2006 03:21 PM

Javier Lopez Traded to Boston

I agree with this trade. But Lopez is such an up and down hitter.

doublee 08-04-2006 05:35 PM

Seeing as they already have a DH in Ortiz I don't know that this deal is going to make that big of an impact in the grand scheme of things. There is a reason the O's went out and got Ramon Hernandez in the offseason; Lopez's knees won't let him be an everyday catcher any more and he has not caught back-to-back games all season long.

catman 08-05-2006 12:41 AM

Lopez can certainly help in situations like the Sox found themselves in tonight. Mirabelli left the game with an injury and Lopez stepped in to finish the game.
I like the move, although I have similar reservations to those doublee voiced.

doublee 08-05-2006 05:19 PM

I don't necessarily say it was a bad move, per se, seeing as they were left with Mirabelli and some kid from AAA so getting a veteran doesn't hurt, I just don't know his knees will let him catch more than two or three games a week.

blackdogsong 08-07-2006 12:10 AM

(hey, guess who's back!)

The Sawks were lucky Lopez was on the block to get moved. He's the best option that was out there, plus the O's are picking up the tab on most of his contact. Corky Miller and Doug Mirabelli can't get it done w/ the bat. Lopez at least provides a little pop, even if it's a streaky one. Tek was only hitting .243 before going down, Lopez should be able to perform at around that level. How he handles the pitching staff is the great unknown.

suedon1970 08-07-2006 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackdogsong
(hey, guess who's back!)

The Sawks were lucky Lopez was on the block to get moved. He's the best option that was out there, plus the O's are picking up the tab on most of his contact. Corky Miller and Doug Mirabelli can't get it done w/ the bat. Lopez at least provides a little pop, even if it's a streaky one. Tek was only hitting .243 before going down, Lopez should be able to perform at around that level. How he handles the pitching staff is the great unknown.

Welcome Back BDS! Was wondering where you went!:D

I'm a big Javy fan from the days he played for the Braves, and I think he will be a good temporary fit for the Sox. He still has a bat, and from what I recall was a good defensive catcher, but I didn't follow him when he played for the O's, so not familiar with his game these days - I just know he is getting older, and for a catcher that usually spells doom.......

boston_aloha 08-07-2006 03:46 PM

I've watched a few games with him so far... I don't think he's got a hit yet. BUT, I will say this - he's better than Corky Miller (who got called up). Like most here are saying, he's streaky, so hopefully he can get some hits. But I'll take him!!! Especially given the time all this stuff happened - right AFTER the trade deadline...

WI Sports Fan 08-08-2006 01:21 AM

Javy Lopez might be a below average fielder, but his bat is much better than Doug Mirabelli and Corky Miller's. Javy should easily be able to produce like Varitek did at the plate.

soxfan 08-14-2006 11:08 AM

After watching ball after ball clang off Lopez's mitt when he was trying to catch Beckett, I have to say I prefer Mirabelli -- and that was before Mirabelli homered in three straight games.

catman 08-14-2006 11:14 AM

Doug Mirabelli will get most of the time behind the plate for the Sox down the stretch, if he keeps hitting. His defense is far better than Lopez' is. Lopez will get a game or 2 a week and give Ortiz a break against a tough lefty occasionally.

bama4256 08-14-2006 11:24 AM

Doug Mirabelli deserves the spot.

GilbertArenas 08-16-2006 12:08 PM

javy was money for the Bravos back in the day. I dont know what happened to him in bmore. curse of the Os.

doublee 08-16-2006 06:14 PM

Bad knees.