Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   National Football League (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   NFL Draft 2006 (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=13317)

NY Jay 05 01-02-2006 12:16 AM

NFL Draft 2006

Just use this to discuss anything that goes on involving the 2006 NFL Draft.

So to start off, what do you think the Texans should do with their number 1 pick? I honestly think their problems run far deeper then a running back, and that it wouldn't be worth it to take Reggie Bush. But is it realistic to use the first pick on an offensive lineman?

blackdogsong 01-02-2006 02:05 PM

that depends on if the Texans believe Reggie Bush is the next great running back. if they believe that you can't trade the pick away. if they don't then sure, trade the pick away.

the O-line could always be fixed via free agency. The Eagle's Jon Runyan name comes to mind.

Lienart looks to be headed to the Saints, which is a nice fit w/ Stallworth and Horn to throw to. along with Deuce McAllister coming back off knee surgery in the backfield that offense should shape up very nicely.

doublee 01-02-2006 03:49 PM

Except that Runyan is a RT and they need to find a LT to protect Carr's blindside.

Jimmy Johnson had it right the Texans can probably get three or four picks for the rights to Bush if he comes out and they should look at trading down.

Leinart is likely going to the Saints. Aaron Brooks sealed his fate a few weeks ago with his rant against the league and the organization.

Thus far Devin Hester and Laurence Maroney have declared for the draft and it is being reported that Mario Williams is coming out as well.

blackdogsong 01-02-2006 04:48 PM

Quote:

Except that Runyan is a RT and they need to find a LT to protect Carr's blindside.
that's assuming Carr will be back next season. anyone added to that line would help the Texans. Runyan is a solid vet who can each anyone on the O-line something about playing the position.

i don't know if I would trade down. Reggie Bush has a freakish package of skills. but the Texans should get some very tempting offers that will be hard to pass up.

doublee 01-02-2006 05:23 PM

Well, Houston's owner has gone on record as saying Carr will be back next year. So, take it for what it is worth. I don't know that there are any better options out there unless they decide to take Leinart or Young if he comes out. The thing is for Houston is that RB is not necessarily a need position and they just invested a bunch of money in Domanick Davis before this season as it is. Offensive line is the most glaring weakness and the front seven on defense really lacks anyone that strikes fear in opposing teams.

Billy D 01-02-2006 08:26 PM

Projected Top 10 picks:

1. Texans: Reggie Bush RB
2. Saints: Matt Leinart QB
3. Titans: DBrickshaw Ferguson T
4. Jets: Vince Young QB
5. Packers: Rodrique Wright DT (Grady Jackson insurance)
6. Raiders: Jason Allen S, UTenn (best 40 time is all that matters to Norv/Al)
7. 49ers: Matthias Kiwenuka DE, BC
8. Bills: Jay Cutler QB
9. Lions: Sinorice Moss WR (Lions adopt the Houston Oilers spread)
10. Cardinals: AJ Hawk OLB

doublee 01-02-2006 08:50 PM

If the Pack go DT they will likely trade down. I'd say going after a potential shutdown corner in Jimmy Williams is a more likely possibility. There really are not any dominating DTs being projected for this year's draft.

Jason Allen? I doubt anyone sees him as a top ten pick. If the Raiders go defense it will probably be someone for the front seven their run defense is atrocious this year and there is a ton of quality front seven talent at the top of the draft.

Mario Williams will be the top pass rusher taken in the draft. Everyone is comparing him to Julius Peppers and Jevon Kearse and is just an athletic freak coming off the corner.

Lions will go defense in the first round and I doubt that Sinorice Moss goes before Derek Hagan as the top wide out. Hagan has the size that pro teams like in their primary recievers and Moss is on the smallish side.

NY Jay 05 01-02-2006 09:19 PM

I thought Vince Young was staying at Texas? But hey, I would welcome him to the Jets.

doublee 01-02-2006 09:46 PM

Yeah, Young has maintained all along that he is coming back but it may be awfully hard for him to stay if the league tells him he is a lock to go in the top five. Plus, don't they all say they are staying another year only to up and leave for the pros?

190 Octane 01-02-2006 11:35 PM

Maybe it's one of those instances wherein he'll stay if USC wins, but if he gets the ring, he'll take off?

Anthony 01-02-2006 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy D
Projected Top 10 picks:

1. Texans: Reggie Bush RB
2. Saints: Matt Leinart QB
3. Titans: DBrickshaw Ferguson T
4. Jets: Vince Young QB
5. Packers: Rodrique Wright DT (Grady Jackson insurance)
6. Raiders: Jason Allen S, UTenn (best 40 time is all that matters to Norv/Al)
7. 49ers: Matthias Kiwenuka DE, BC
8. Bills: Jay Cutler QB
9. Lions: Sinorice Moss WR (Lions adopt the Houston Oilers spread)

Sinorice Moss the first WR selected, ahead of Santonio Holmes (Ohio State)?

That's interesting.

doublee 01-02-2006 11:59 PM

That is assuming Holmes comes out. I think Hagan may have the slight edge over Holmes due to be being a bit more of a consistent player and having a bigger body.

doublee 01-03-2006 12:12 AM

Okay, apparently Holmes is going pro...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls0...ory?id=2278409

Pimpbot 01-03-2006 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy D
Projected Top 10 picks:)

Look for the Cards to pick up an O lineman or RB, rather than a Linebacker. They had the worst rushing attack in the league this year and were not that far off having the worst average rushing yards per game in the history of the NFL.

Anthony 01-03-2006 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doublee
That is assuming Holmes comes out. I think Hagan may have the slight edge over Holmes due to be being a bit more of a consistent player and having a bigger body.

But Hagan's strictly a possession guy (4.55 in the 40) while Holmes is a certified burner (4.30-4.35) - and indeed I have yet to hear anyone suggest that Hagan will be a first-rounder at all, or even be the second wide receiver selected (most tab Martin Nance from Miami of Ohio for that).

Pimpbot 01-03-2006 09:08 AM

Hagen has pro written all over him and that 4.55 that you quoted Anthony, is incorrect from what I've read and watched this year. He's an under 4.5 40 guy.

Anthony 01-03-2006 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Hagen (sic) has pro written all over him and that 4.55 that you quoted Anthony, is incorrect from what I've read and watched this year. He's an under 4.5 40 guy.

NFL Draft Scout has Hagan at 4.50 - nowhere near as fast as Santonio Holmes, who is quoted at under 4.30 in some places, or Martin Nance, for whom a 4.33 is listed.

I'm not saying that Hagan won't make an impact in the NFL - just that Holmes or Nance would be far more suitable for a speed-starved team like the Eagles (Hagan would be ideal for the Colts if, as expected, they lose Reggie Wayne in free agency).

Dublin Mike 01-03-2006 07:52 PM

Showing my homerism, but how far has DJ Shockley moved himself up in the draft this season? A good arm and great athleticism. And will he play QB, or go the athlete route, i.e. Hines Ward, Matt Jones, A. Randle-El?

Dublin Mike 01-03-2006 07:56 PM

One other thing. WTF is w/all these press members saying Leinart should pull an Eli. Last year they were ripping this Manning, now they are saying Leinart should hold out on the Saints. If he does, the NFL has to come in and put a stop to it. If they don't, there is no point in having the draft, just make all the players coming out free agents.

NY Jay 05 01-03-2006 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublin Mike
Showing my homerism, but how far has DJ Shockley moved himself up in the draft this season? A good arm and great athleticism. And will he play QB, or go the athlete route, i.e. Hines Ward, Matt Jones, A. Randle-El?

I think he will definitley go as a late-rounder. So far I would see no reason not to keep him at QB.

bama4256 01-03-2006 08:04 PM

I liked to see New England get linebacker A.J. Hawk.

boston_aloha 01-03-2006 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bama4256
I liked to see New England get linebacker A.J. Hawk.

I 2nd that!!!! :D

NY Jay 05 01-03-2006 08:26 PM

Why would the Pats need another LB? Brushci, Vrabel, McGinest...

boston_aloha 01-03-2006 09:02 PM

Cause one of their stars has gotta get injured next season or it wouldn't be a "normal" season for the Pats... so I say load up on LB's :D

Pimpbot 01-03-2006 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NY Jay 05
Why would the Pats need another LB? Brushci, Vrabel, McGinest...

How much more does McGinest have in the tank, same with Brushci?

NY Jay 05 01-03-2006 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
How much more does McGinest have in the tank, same with Brushci?

I haven't seen any signs of either slowing down. Why would Bruschi have come back after a stroke if he didn't think he could last for a few more seasons?

Anthony 01-04-2006 12:31 AM

The Patriots better be proactive in filling needs this spring because if the Dolphins get their flippers on any kind of quarterback, the Pats will find themselves checking out the wild-card scenarios next year.

El Jefe 01-04-2006 05:39 PM

Jimmy Williams, AJ Hawk, Kiwanuka...that works for me as a Niners fan, but man I'll still be mourning over the loss of having the Helix High backfield for a long, long time.

boston_aloha 01-05-2006 08:37 PM

Who will (or should) draft V. Young? Would you want him leading your team?
I'll answer my 2nd question 1st: NO. Two words - M. Vick. This kid (Young) has so much talent, speed & athleticism - but I just see another M. Vick running around till he gets hit too hard. That style has never worked in the NFL - but then again, how much of it have we seen? Can one coach install that style into a winning system? (OK, I'm asking too many questions)
Who should draft V. Young: Maybe the Saints. If they don't get a shot at Leinart, maybe they could start over w/ Young. Although some may be dissappointed and say he's another Aaron Brooks - but I highly doubt that.

NY Jay 05 01-05-2006 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boston_aloha
Who will (or should) draft V. Young? Would you want him leading your team?
I'll answer my 2nd question 1st: NO. Two words - M. Vick. This kid (Young) has so much talent, speed & athleticism - but I just see another M. Vick running around till he gets hit too hard. That style has never worked in the NFL - but then again, how much of it have we seen? Can one coach install that style into a winning system? (OK, I'm asking too many questions)
Who should draft V. Young: Maybe the Saints. If they don't get a shot at Leinart, maybe they could start over w/ Young. Although some may be dissappointed and say he's another Aaron Brooks - but I highly doubt that.

Vince Young can definitley be successful in the NFL, as long as he makes better decisions than Vick and doesn't make wild erratic throws frequently.

doublee 01-05-2006 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony
NFL Draft Scout has Hagan at 4.50 - nowhere near as fast as Santonio Holmes, who is quoted at under 4.30 in some places, or Martin Nance, for whom a 4.33 is listed.

I'm not saying that Hagan won't make an impact in the NFL - just that Holmes or Nance would be far more suitable for a speed-starved team like the Eagles (Hagan would be ideal for the Colts if, as expected, they lose Reggie Wayne in free agency).

NFL Draft Scout doesn't even have Nance rated as a top five reciever. Kiper and Scouts, Inc. both have Hagan rated as a mid first rounder. This Nance character doesn't seem to recognized by anyone which leads me to believe he may be all style and no substance.

Someone will probably take a flyer on Shockley to see if he can do something for them, but he is a bit on the smallish side and has very limited experience as a starting QB at the college level.

The comparisons of Vince Young to Vick are so ludicrous. For one Young is a legit 6-5/ 235-240 lbs so he has the size to take the hits while Vick is six feet tall and a little over 200 lbs. Secondly, when Vick came out he was a fairly mediocre passer and the Falcons assumed he would develop into a quality NFL passer. Vick completed 54% of his passes for only 1439 yards his final year in college. Young is a far superior passer at the collegiate level than Vick ever was. He finished third in the nation in passer rating this year completing 65% of his passes for over 3,000 yards. Vince Young took the next step and blossomed into a quality passer at the collegiate level. On top of all that Young's leadership qualities are so much better than Vick's. Just watching the two one gets the sense that Young truly enjoys playing the game and his teammates respond favorably to him. He commands the respect of his teammates. Conversely, I get the sense that Vick treats football as the vessel that gave him financial security for the rest of his life. He just does not seem to exude that swagger or leadership that championship QBs do.

boston_aloha 01-05-2006 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NY Jay 05
Vince Young can definitley be successful in the NFL, as long as he makes better decisions than Vick and doesn't make wild erratic throws frequently.

Yeah, I hope I didn't come off as saying he wouldn't suceed. But I don't think that type of play has what it takes to win a SB. But M. Vick, V. Young have plenty of years ahead to prove me wrong. Sure, if you put enough superstars in there at WR and RB and have a good "D" - then yeah, they can win. But usually you lose something out of your team if you have to drop a $60m contract on a players like that who are always a 1st round pick (top 5 at least). It will be interesting - I sure do wanna see him play in the NFL and see what he can do. I think even though he is young, maybe Vick let some of us down (specially this year), so that kind of costs Young (if that makes any sense?).
Quote:

The comparisons of Vince Young to Vick are so ludicrous. For one Young is a legit 6-5/ 235-240 lbs so he has the size to take the hits while Vick is six feet tall and a little over 200 lbs. Secondly, when Vick came out he was a fairly mediocre passer and the Falcons assumed he would develop into a quality NFL passer.

Physically, yeah. But I was comparing that QB scramble style of playing. These QB's with better legs than arms. They finish up games with more rushing yards than passing.

MountaineerDave 01-05-2006 11:53 PM

Comparing Vince Young to Michael Vick might not be exactly fair, doublee, but it's bound to happen because their college careers have been predicated on being run-first or run-option QBs. Physically, Young compares more appropriately with Daunte Culpepper, but with speed. Problem is, Young has nothing near the arm that Culpepper has. And, it's also not incredibly clear that his decision-making skills (passing the ball) are any better than Culpepper's or Vick's (both are pretty lousy, really).

da12ken 01-06-2006 12:11 AM

Here's the order for the first-round:

1 2-14 Houston
2 3-13 New Orleans
3 4-12 Tennessee
4 4-12 NY Jets
5 4-12 Green Bay
6 4-12 San Francisco @
7 4-12 Oakland @
8 5-11 Buffalo
9 5-11 Detroit
10 5-11 Arizona
11 6-10 St. Louis
12 6-10 Cleveland
13 6-10 Baltimore
14 6-10 Philadelphia
15 8-8 Atlanta
16 9-7 Miami
17 9-7 Minnesota
18 9-7 Dallas
19 9-7 San Diego
20 10-6 Kansas City
21 10-6 New England*
22 10-6 Denver (from WAS)*
23 11-5 Tampa Bay*
24 11-5 Carolina*
25 11-5 Chicago*
26 11-5 Cincinnati*
27 11-5 Pittsburgh*
28 11-5 New York Giants*
29 12-4 Jacksonville
30 13-3 Denver*
31 13-3 Seattle*
32 14-2 Indianapolis*

@ - Will be determined by coin flip
* Playoff teams' order will be determined by playoff finish

I have no idea why the Pats fans here are even thinking about getting AJ Hawk, who's a top 10 selection for sure.

Derek Hagan is listed by Scout as the fourth-best receiver eligible for the draft. He's an outstanding receiver. I've seen a lot of Pac-10 games this season, and Derek is definitely a good selection for any team looking for WRs.

At #6 or #7, I would love for the Raiders to take Michael Huff. Oakland needs everything on defense, and it would be wise to take an elite safety to shore up that secondary, especially considering that Woodson may be good (or he'll be franchised for the fourth straight season...). If Huff's taken, DT Haloti Ngati of Oregon or CB Jimmy Williams from VTech would be good selections.

NY Jay 05 01-06-2006 04:24 PM

The Jets need so many positions, I'm not sure yet who would be best for them.

190 Octane 01-06-2006 05:52 PM

Derek Hagan is a stud. He's not as fast as Santonio Holmes, but he's got surefire hands and is BIG. Another Pac-10 guy to watch out for in this draft is Haloti Ngata of Oregon. He's probably the best OG up for grabs, and I'm hoping the stupid Bidwill family wises up long enough to snatch him if he's available.

Dublin Mike 01-06-2006 09:33 PM

Not really a big deal, Omar Jacobs declared today. As someone else pointed out a few weeks ago, his stock has plummeted this year. He was a sure fire 1st rounder at the start of the season, now he is 2nd to 3rd at best.

msuman 01-07-2006 01:17 AM

Quote:

I have no idea why the Pats fans here are even thinking about getting AJ Hawk, who's a top 10 selection for sure.
I agree. And i really want to see the Pats loose just becaouse they win to much.

doublee 01-07-2006 01:20 AM

Top ten? After that game he had in the Fiesta Bowl he will be top five for sure.

da12ken 01-07-2006 01:56 AM

Quote:

Top ten? After that game he had in the Fiesta Bowl he will be top five for sure.

I'm not sure he's a lock for a top-five. Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Jimmy Williams and Mario Williams might all be drafted ahead of him.

Assuming none of the top-five trade their picks, Hawk to Green Bay perhaps? Houston, New Orleans, Tennessee and NY Jets would be better other players. Young, Bush, Leinart and ??? in that order. Not sure if NY would want to draft a defensive player with so many gaping offensive holes. Maybe they take DeAngelo Williams to start ahead of Curtis Martin and Cedric Houston.