Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   National Football League (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Can you just draft already, damnit (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=13749)

HibachiDG 04-17-2006 09:18 AM

Can you just draft already, damnit

I'm sick of the NFL Draft.

April used to be an amazing month for sports. Basketball winding down, baseball starting.

Now, there is more NFL Draft coverage than either. For three weeks now ESPN has been LOADED with Draft coverage. I honestly thought the draft was this past weekend, just off the amount of coverage, but there are still TWO more weeks.

Is there a more meaningless event in sports?

The NBA Draft I can stand because it's one night and I can watch the first 30 minutes for entertainment value as the NBA is always good for that with their PANEL covering the draft and those guys shaking Stern's hand will NEVER get old. Then I can leave for a bit, flip back for the last guy in the green room to get picked, then float in and out for the rest. But the NFL Draft is just non-excitement for a couple days.

Mel Kiper has his job NOT because he knows about these guys, but because of the depth of his knowledge. This guy I know was talking to me about quantity/quality the other day and made a great comparison that is applicable here. He was in a reading program at a library during a summer and read 10 books to get a star. It was a lot of book reading. Lots of words and the like. He noticed other kids had read like 70 books and had more stars. He was like "how the hell can they read so much?" and it turns out they were reading PICTURE books and the like. That's Kiper. He's reading picture books. He knows every player that could possibly be in this Draft. Probably knows their 40...hell, last 6 40s. But his analysis is terrible. I know they need him there because someone has to sacrifice and know that depth because no one else will, but don't try to pass him off as an analyst.

Just do the damn draft. Come on. Just do it. The Monday after, I'll look at who my team drafted and that will be that. It's not like watching the Draft is going to make them draft better.

tobynosker 04-17-2006 09:58 AM

Isn't sad when you get nearly a month of nightly NFL draft coverage with complete previews and analysis, and then you have the nearly two-full days scheduled for the actual draft itself, while the NHL playoffs have to be aired on OLN?

NY Jay 05 04-17-2006 10:45 AM

I'm with you Doug. The NBA Playoffs are getting almost no attention compared to the freakin NFL Draft. You would think with all the hype the draft gets there would actually be some sort of action going on. :rolleyes:

suedon1970 04-17-2006 03:39 PM

I agree with all of you. They are trying to turn the NFL into a 12-month season, at the expense of the other sports. I am actually looking forward to the NBA & NHL playoffs coming up, but like you guys said all you see on ESPN is NFL draft crap instead of playoff coverage. I guess I would care more about the draft if I was a Texan or Titans fan, but I'm not a fan of either, so.........

Dublin Mike 04-17-2006 06:28 PM

I am not into the draft this year as I have been into the past, mostly b/c the Foulcons don't have a 1st rd pick. But since I could care less about baseball, and the NBA playoffs take about 10 years to finish and half the teams in the East get in w/a .500 or worse record, I have a lot less interest than what I used to have.

That being said, as much a draftnick as I am, I am getting a bit sick of the draft coverage. Way too much info going over the same thing over and over and over. It wouldn't be so bad if it was just Mort, but hearing Mel Kiper every day is like nails on a chalkboard. Ugh.

OathKeeper 04-19-2006 02:00 AM

hey look on the bright side you guys got John Abraham

Anthony 04-19-2006 02:25 AM

I don't know Doug; I'm tempted to chalk up your post to inherent grumpiness over the fact that your team is going to do what they always do - spend most if not all of their first-day picks on positions where they have absolutely no immediate need, with the draftees having no prayer of cracking the starting lineup until they're 30, if indeed they ever make it at all (I exaggerate of course, but only marginally).

Hey, this time of year is all about hope, which actually exists the NFL, unlike in baseball - or so they say.

So please - don't begrudge the Buffalos, Clevelands, Detroits etc. their moment in the sun.

HibachiDG 04-19-2006 12:12 PM

The Buffalos, Clevelands, Detroits, etc wouldn't need this to be their moment in the sun if they had better management of their franchises. I can't really speak on Buffalo or Cleveland a whole lot, but Detroit has this as their moment in the sun because they've horribly mis-managed that team.

Marc 04-19-2006 10:05 PM

The amount of draft coverage is just an indicator of how popular the NFL is ... people would rather talk about it than the NHL, or even MLB and NBA in some cases. Like it or love it, people are missing football and ESPN recognizes that, so they are dedicating time to it. But I agree, it's hard not to have draft fatigue before the thing even starts!

Noon 04-19-2006 10:58 PM

I've been putting draft stories in the paper for the last two weeks and there's still another week and a half to go. Lets get this thing over with.

Although I'll admit I'm biased against it, my attention deficit disorder tendencies keep me from fully enjoying the draft.

HibachiDG 04-20-2006 07:14 PM

Poll on espn.com with 58k polled and NFL Draft has 37% for most interested out of the draft, MLB season (27%), NBA playoffs (24%), NHL playoff (13%)

Is it too much to ask to live in a world where NFL Draft would have 0%?

But, then again, this is ESPN and their audience isn't necessarily a sports audience, it's an NFL audience. Except when Harold Reynolds and John Kruk are on. Stupid ESPN.

Anthony 04-21-2006 02:49 AM

Maybe not 0%, but perhaps something like 2% - after all, two NFL cities (Jacksonville and Green Bay) have no other professional sports franchise.

Of course if you're old enough to remember it, prior to the mid-1970s they held the NFL draft right after the Pro Bowl.