Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   Major League Baseball (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   [MLB.Playoffs.NLCS] HOU ASTROS VS STL CARDINALS (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=10681)

Habs Fan 10-12-2004 09:31 AM

[MLB.Playoffs.NLCS] HOU ASTROS VS STL CARDINALS

Okay, will the Cards run over the Stros or will Houston find some way to out score the Cards? Let's hear some predictions .....

Alex 10-12-2004 03:13 PM

Houston in 7.

I have said it here, I am not a believer in the Cardinals. If you're interested in my thoughts on that subject just click the link in my sig, it's my sports blog. Houston has two big game pitchers. St. Louis has none. In the end that's what it will come down to.

Habs Fan 10-12-2004 06:34 PM

Good points Alex ..... so would that analysis tide over to the Sox-Yankees series LOL???

doublee 10-12-2004 06:51 PM

And yet without all that big game pitching experience the Cards still somehow managed to have far-and-away the best team ERA in the LDS round of the playoffs. Go figure.

catman 10-12-2004 11:03 PM

If the Astros pitching cannot hold the Cardinals bats down, it'll be a short series. I think the Cardinals win it in 6, although I cannot imagine a better matchup than Clemens vs the Yankees.

Bran 10-13-2004 01:19 PM

Houston in 7...as my beginning of the season pick to be in the World Series, they're the hottest team in baseball and should pull out the series in a tough one.

bama4256 10-13-2004 05:02 PM

I have to say Houston in seven. I like their starting pitching over the Cardinals. Carlos Beltran, Jeff Kent, Jeff Bagwell, and Lance Berkman will be knocking in a lot of runs.

But if Albert Pujols and Scott Rolen get hot watch out Astros. Jim Edmonds too.

I just think this is Houston's year.

doublee 10-13-2004 06:15 PM

Here is the thing to remember about the Astros pitching. No Clemens and no Oswalt until Game Three. Which means Clemens and Oswalt will have to win the three games they pitch and either Pete Munro or Brandon Backe has to step up and win one maybe, two games if Clemens or Oswalt falter at all. Backe (1-2, 6.52)and Munro (1-4, 5.29) were both brutal pitchers on the road this season. Williams (5-3, 3.36) and Morris (9-4, 3.69) were both good at home this season while Suppan (10-1, 3.55) and Marquis (6-2, 3.65) put up good numbers on the road.

catman 10-13-2004 11:01 PM

Backe pitched well for a while tonight, but seemed to lose his focus. Or the Cardinal batters made the adjustments necessary to hit is pitches.
The Cardinals look pretty awesome offensively.

doublee 10-13-2004 11:48 PM

He got tired. He was going on three days rest and he only pitched past the fifth inning three times this year. I knew once they got Backe out that early the Cards would win. Other than Lidge the 'Stros just don't have much out of the pen. Five more runs tonight with two outs.

Habs Fan 10-14-2004 01:28 AM

I'd like to see the Stros do well for guys like Biggio and Bagwell but I just think that the Cards lineup is THE MOST POTENT lineup in all of baseball (with no disrespect to the Yanks or BoSox).

These guys light up anybody they face.

canucks_bertuzz 10-14-2004 03:21 PM

i think the cards will take it without too big of a problem but i want the astros to take it. When i watch any playoffs, if my team isn't still in i usually cheer for the underdogs and now the underdogs are the Astros!!
So Go Houston Astros!!!

doublee 10-14-2004 11:51 PM

Wow, another game featuring some clutch hitting by my beloved Cards. One can only wonder why Lidge was not out there to face Pujols, Rolen, and Edmonds in the 8th.

Tarkus 10-14-2004 11:59 PM

Pujols is an absolute Monster.....Incredible...

The Cards just have too much firepower for the Astros...

Habs Fan 10-15-2004 11:04 AM

And they actually have a bullpen that can get the job done.