Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   Major League Baseball (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   DC baseball fans. Get you "______" gear now! (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=10912)

FSUViking 11-05-2004 03:35 PM

DC baseball fans. Get you "______" gear now!

Sports Talk 980 in the DC area is reporting that the DC Sports and Entertainment Group has decided to move forward with the name The Washington Nationals. :rolleyes:

Heathen 11-05-2004 03:39 PM

PAH!!! That sucks..... what about the Washington Norfolk "n" Chance??

Just wondering?? ;)

Alex 11-05-2004 03:41 PM

I like it, very classic.

catman 11-06-2004 02:13 AM

I was hoping to see them called the "Grays" to honor the Homestead Grays of the Negro Leagues, but the Nationals would be just fine with me.
I hope they get some players and wish they would have made this move a couple of years ago. They need to be owned by someone other than the other 29 owners, and need to be completely seperated from the Commissioner's Office.

Kornbix 11-06-2004 11:42 AM

It's got that old school ring to it...they might as well called em the Senators again

G-MenNMetsfan 11-06-2004 12:19 PM

I think they would call them the Senators, but the name might be owned or trademarked by the Twins, whom I think was the last team in WAShington.

If I'm wrong on that, someone correct me.

catman 11-07-2004 11:06 AM

The expansion team in DC that began in 1961 was also called the Senators. They moved to Texas to become the Rangers. The Twins do not own the rights to the name.

doublee 11-07-2004 01:14 PM

I heard somewhere that the Rangers franchise acutally owns the Senators name. But, from what I understand the reason they are not going with Senators this time around is that the Mayor of DC is opposed to using the name, and MLB needs the Mayor on their side because they still do not have public funding for a new stadium.

catman 11-08-2004 01:12 PM

That is possible doublee. Especially the part about having problems with public funding of a ballpark.
Major League Baseball got themselves into a big jam allowing the Expos to go "unsold" while a couple of owners changed teams. The Commissioner's Office needs to divest itself of this team and, if a team cannot be sold, another team cannot be bought. Baseball has to be certain of the capitalization of this ownership group, including plans to build a suitable venue for it. Now is not the time to discover problems of this magnitude.
This said, I hope all the problems can be worked out and a team name will be chosen by the owner's meetings next month.

FSUViking 11-08-2004 01:32 PM

So, DC lost the Twins AND the Rangers? That would make them to baseball, what L.A. is to the NFL. :D

doublee 11-08-2004 08:42 PM

You know I have tried to figure out myself why MLB had such a hard on for the DC area. They have had two teams setup shop there and promptly move within a few years. So, why go there again?

Alex 11-09-2004 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by doublee
You know I have tried to figure out myself why MLB had such a hard on for the DC area. They have had two teams setup shop there and promptly move within a few years. So, why go there again?
That was nearly 35 years ago. Times have changed.